TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I thought CP doesn't have a dinning plan now that Mean Streak's closed.....

And the chicken turned out great, by the way!

Well, we'll still keep Pink's in mind, next year.

Bill - I certainly wouldn't discourage you from trying Pink's because I know that you will be doing a trip report with FOOD photos and will tell us how it was...please restore my hope!

^ Hmmm. Maybe you two should consider joining up with me and Bert, planning to get to Coastermania! next June.

And of course, a BBQ & Brew evening; a meal at Famous Dave's; hot dogs at Pink's; a Platinum Pass; staying at The Breakers...

(And if CP was really nice during CM! next June, there could be an in-construction tour of the "new coaster"?... Or not.)

Sorry for double post but...

While the night at the park has been a lot better than any SF park, it's been very disappointing. Coming here 2 times every weekend I've come to get used to CP's amazing service and ops. When they aren't up to their normal standards I notice and tonight had been just awful by CP standards.

Slow ops and 2 trains on Magnum made a 5 minute wait 40 minutes. Top Thrill ops were just slow. Outdoor haunts are just pitiful. Fear-y tales had all of about 5 scare actors and they weren't even doing anything.

Probably not even half the food places are open and the ones that are open are understaffed. Just about a day ago on this forum I was saying how good the Frontier Inn chicken is. I take it back. I got burnt pieces of shit and grease crumbs as tater tots.

We had a BOGO free pass for slingshot we won from plinko and when we went to use it the girl and her supervisor couldn't figure out how to redeem it. 40 minutes later we were finally on the ride.

For a very crowded weekend one would expect that CP would bring better prepared for said crowds.

I hate complaining about things like this but I feel it needs to be pointed out that at CP it is possible to have bad ops and service. I'm sure that when we come on Sunday our experience will be back to normal but tonight has not been the "#CPBestDay" that we've come to expect.

Edit* To the MF crew members on here, you guys were the one exception. You guys were flying tonight.

Outdoor haunts are just pitiful. Fear-y tales had all of about 5 scare actors and they weren't even doing anything.

This. I walked through Screamworks twice tonight and saw numerous scare actors standing off to the side talking with each other and texting on their cell phones. The lone bright spot was a girl near the entrance to CornStalkers that was out in the open and was joking that she couldn't scare anyone because everyone sees her. I actually got a kick out of that. Tombstone Terrortory is awful as it is in a bad location and the handful of scare actors seemed bored. The kids that had their "No Boo" necklaces didn't really need them. Very disappointing.

Also the food lines were insane, especially at the French fry stand near Raptor. Perhaps Cedar Fair should consider offering a "FoodLane" pass to skip the food lines.

And finally, night rides on Maverick are crazy. With Mean Streak not being illuminated, the lights out on Maverick due to the haunt underneath and the fog drifting up, it is truly one of the best night rides I have ever had.

To be fair, just about every regional park has a damn near impossible time staffing the park on Haunt Fridays. The crowd levels last night seemed higher than anticipated too. There's no excuse for the Haunt mazes but I don't blame them for the ride crews. I would assume that a lot of people are relatively new or the rides are understaffed.

^ Hmmm. Maybe you two should consider joining up with me and Bert, planning to get to Coastermania! next June.

And of course, a BBQ & Brew evening; a meal at Famous Dave's; hot dogs at Pink's; a Platinum Pass; staying at The Breakers...

(And if CP was really nice during CM! next June, there could be an in-construction tour of the "new coaster"?... Or not.)

That could be fun! Still trying to get Michael better, but hoping by that time next year that he will be.

To be fair, just about every regional park has a damn near impossible time staffing the park on Haunt Fridays. The crowd levels last night seemed higher than anticipated too. There's no excuse for the Haunt mazes but I don't blame them for the ride crews. I would assume that a lot of people are relatively new or the rides are understaffed.

I kind of agree with you but I kind of don't because it is columbus day weekend and everybody knows it is always absolutely packed this weekend.

I kind of agree with you but I kind of don't because it is columbus day weekend and everybody knows it is always absolutely packed this weekend.

It doesn't matter if it is Columbus Day weekend. If you don't have employees available on Fridays (for whatever reason) you can't fully staff a park.

It doesn't matter if it is Columbus Day weekend. If you don't have employees available on Fridays (for whatever reason) you can't fully staff a park.

I don't necessarily have a problem with things being understaffed at this time of year. I get it. Employees are hard to get this time of year, but that doesn't excuse the fact that the ones they did have last night for the most part moved slow and seemed grossly understrained.

Also this is the time of year where most of your food stand employees are volunteer workers raising money for their club, frat, team, etc... they get roughly 30 mins of on the spot training and are expected to serve the busiest crowds of the season. They're essentially set up for failure.

My personal opinion of the Haunt is that it has actually gotten too big in recent years. I have been let down quite a bit since 2013 or so with the amount of scare actors in the zones or houses. It doesn't matter if I'm there on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday they just all seem to generally be understaffed. I think I would rather fewer attractions that are better staffed then numerous attractions where you can go through half the rooms and not see one scare actor.

I understand there are exceptional sh*tty park experiences, but I also think some of the complaints generated from enthusiasts are from personal expectations being set too high. Aren't most of the haunt activities staffed by young adults, just as the rest of the park? In my limited 31 years of life experience, I can never remember a time when the teenage and/or college work force has ever been praised for being dedicated hard workers, as a majority. It's safer to go into a park with low expectations while not relying on the staff to dictate your experience. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

I'm sure there are plenty of scare actors who really enjoy their jobs and they try to put full effort into scaring people. The same goes for food service employees and ride operators in general. There are at least as many employees who just show up to collect their small paychecks for a little extra spending money. Sometimes they'll try, sometimes they won't.

Aren't most of the haunt activities staffed by young adults, just as the rest of the park? In my limited 31 years of life experience, I can never remember a time when the teenage and/or college work force has ever been praised for being dedicated hard workers, as a majority. It's safer to go into a park with low expectations while not relying on the staff to dictate your experience. Plan for the worst and hope for the best.

Does Cedar Point still bring in a lot of Europeans to run the rides & live on-site during the year? Are they still around in October? Some of the European crews could fly, and they were often really friendly. I'd imagine there's more of a local hiring drive for Halloweekends, but surely it can't be total turnover from the usually-good regular staff.

^^ awesome photo of Mean Streak. I'm sure it will be a much better coaster post-op, but it was always a beautiful monument of treated lumber in its original form.

Does anyone know when Cedar Fair started adding those two vertical boards in the middle of the tracks on its wooden coasters? Is it just to make the track easier for maintenance to walk, or is there another reason?