TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^For a single day visit, absolutely. Especially in July/August. Which makes me wonder...

For pre-planning purposes, are there Fast Lane discounts for platinum passholders? I think I remember a free upgrade from regular to plus in the past but there's nothing on the website as of now.

I am so excited for Valravn. Mostly because I love Shiekra and Griffon and I'll have a dive coaster close to me. But I'm a little worried about the new restraints. One of the things that I love about Shiekra and Griffon is that the restraints leave me with quite a lot of room. So with the drop and everything else I get tossed around which adds to the intensity of the ride for me. I just hope the new restraints dont hold you down tight like they do with the wingriders. I havent ridden Banshee so I cant speak on that. But that being said I'm still crazy excited for the ride.

^For a single day visit, absolutely. Especially in July/August. Which makes me wonder...
For pre-planning purposes, are there Fast Lane discounts for platinum passholders? I think I remember a free upgrade from regular to plus in the past but there's nothing on the website as of now.

Thanks for letting me know. I was originally planning on spending only one day at the park, but since I have a Dorney Park Platinum Season Pass, I may spend two days. The other two parks I plan on hitting up in my "Upper Mid-West Coaster Trip" are Valleyfair and Michigan's Adventure, so I'm pretty sure I can hit everything in those two parks by spending one day at each.

Although I wasn't a Platinum Pass holder last year, I don't recall any FL discounts or upgrades the year before. If there were, they weren't publicizing it much.

In regards to purchasing a FL+ on a weekday, there are a lot of circumstances involved...it is not as easy as saying something like, "If you go on June 12th, you definitely want to get a FL+". The only time you could say that is if there were some type of event like Math & Science week going on - and even then, the park tends to clear out after or around 5PM.

If I had to put together a down and dirty calendar, I would go by what I have posted below. Although be sure to check the park's website for the calendar of events, because this is very important so you know which days might have especially heavy crowds!

Unfortunately, they tend not to update the calendar or events until near the park's opening, so this may be a bit vague...

* May weekdays after opening - Unless there is a special event, no FL+ needed

* May weekends - Hit or miss depending on the weather (IE: Cloudy, cold or rain in the forecast = no FL+; Sunny and 70 = Very possible you might want/need FL+)

* Early June weekdays - Unless there is a special event, no FL+ needed

* Early June weekends - Hit or miss depending on the weather (IE: Cloudy, cold or rain in the forecast = no FL+; Sunny and 70 = Very possible you will need FL+)

* Late June weekdays, weekends, all of July/August and through Labor Day weekend - Very good chance that you may want FL+

* Halloweekends - Friday nights = no FL+ needed; Saturday's = definitely need/want FL+; Sunday's = no FL+ needed

I went to CP twice last year and got a free upgrade from FL to FL+ with my platinum pass. I went on a Thursday at the end of July and Sat. Sept. 18th (early in Halloweekends). I think your question to get a FL+ will largely depend on when you go and what you want to get out of your day. For me, going to CP is a treat and I want to make the most out of my day, so I will typically spring for a FL+ to ensure that I get as many rides/re rides as I want. You very well might be able to ride everything you want without a FL+, but there are so many quality rides at CP that if you aren't going to be back for a while, I say splurge if it's remotely busy and enjoy your favorites again and again with a FL+.

Anyone that went this past summer use the All Day Dining plan? What were your thoughts on the food? Was it fairly easy to use?

We went this summer and did a VIP Tour, which included the All Day Dining plan. You actually get a good choice of food. You can do things like Chic-Fil-A, Panda Express, Subway, Pinks Hotdogs, and of course any park food like chicken strips, and pizza, and such. Really will enjoyed the food, and it was easy to use. You just let them scan your wristband when you are done ordering, and it takes care of everything for you! I personally highly recommend it. With that being said, I am not sure how much the All Day Dining plan actually cost because it was included in our tour, so you may want to weigh the pros and cons of it. However, if you did like we did and you eat 3 regular meals while you are at the park, in addition to snacking, then it is well worth it.

Fast Lane cost - anyone that went on a Wednesday/Thursday care to comment how much it was for those days? I'm looking at the FL+ to make sure we have all the rides for one of the two days we are going to be there. The website is showing a base cost of $80 per user for the FL+.
We did not use Fast Lane, but from what I heard from talking to people in the park even with Fast Lane Plus people were still waiting an hour easily for rides like Maverick, Gatekeeper, Dragster, and MF. While we were at the park I saw a posted price for Fast Lane Plus, it was $120 per person, plus taxes.

I hope this helps a little! If you do have the means of being able to do so I would highly consider looking at booking a VIP Tour. With the tour you have plenty of time to do everything you want to do in one day (Minus Soak City) which eliminates the need for staying in a hotel for several days, and several days worth of theme park tickets, and several days worth of food, and several days worth of Fast Lane Plus. Not to mention the experience itself is well worth the cost! It's very tailored to what you want, and it is well worth it! Worth it enough that we are already planning another one for this year!

Good luck with booking your vacation!

I agree that the all day dining is worth it (we have season dining but the food options are the same) Cedar Points food has come a long way (CP's fresh cut fries are to die for) I do however disagree with whoever told you that they were waiting around an hour for rides even with Fast lane.

I visit CP around 40 times a year and I can tell you that the Fast lane lines for everything never gets to be more than 20-25 minutes. We have used Fast lane Plus twice in the last 2 years and it was worth every penny! Sadly though you will never be able to get FL+ for less than $90 a person but still it is well worth it.

Hope this helps!

Just popping in to offer thanks to everyone posting about FL+ / Platinum / etc right now -- I'm in the process of planning out a mid-May trip to Ohio to hit both Cedar Point and Kings Island for the first time, and all this information is coming in very handy!

Just popping in to offer thanks to everyone posting about FL+ / Platinum / etc right now -- I'm in the process of planning out a mid-May trip to Ohio to hit both Cedar Point and Kings Island for the first time, and all this information is coming in very handy!

If you are are going mid may, when they open for daily operation, you shouldn't really need fast lane. Crowds arent bad at all. Just school trips. The longest wait was on top thrill and it was maybe 40 minutes or so but it also broke down while in line. Maverick and millennium were around 25-30. Raptor was almost walk on, rougarou was a walk on and gatekeeper was a 10 minute wait.

I asked for advise last year and someone said that if you're staying on property, to use the early entry and get the most popular rides, like millennium, top thrill and maverick. Leave around 12 and go bak to your room and relax and eat. Go back in around 4, thats when all the schools are leaving. So lines go down a lot. That is what we did and it worked at perfect for us. We also did most of the flats when we came back in.

^^^ My guess is that there may have been a bit of exaggeration there - unless it was some type of very unusual circumstance. We got FL+ once on a Saturday during the summer and didn't encounter any issues with wait times like that.

Did we have to wait? Yes, but it wasn't more 20 minutes for MF because you have to enter at the bottom of the ramp. The other rides (including Maverick & TTD) were nothing more than a 10-20 minute wait as long as their weren't malfunctions. But for most rides and coasters, you waited maybe a cycle or two to get on.

Another interestingly slow time to visit the park was on July 3rd about 3-4 years ago...the park was absolutely dead! But this year, the 3rd is on a Sunday making it a long weekend for most people...so not a good time to visit on the 3rd this year unless you buy your FL+.

And I had forgotten to mention earlier that we have also had luck with light crowds during the the 2nd weekend in June. I assume that this might have been due to graduations and grad parties because the weather was fantastic and ride lines were very manageable!

I just wanted to say thank you to the folks who post the construction photo's here (and YAY for the boat!) I log on to TPR at work and cannot see YouTube or construction cams or many outside websites. The only way I ever get to look at the pictures is when they are posted here, so a big thank you to you all!!

Valravn looks great also. I find Dive Coasters to be a LOT of fun, so I think it is a good fit for the park. I don't know if it will make a lot of top 5 lists like people are speculating, but I'm sure it will be a fun and a great addition to the park.

David

Thanks for letting me know. I was originally planning on spending only one day at the park, but since I have a Dorney Park Platinum Season Pass, I may spend two days. The other two parks I plan on hitting up in my "Upper Mid-West Coaster Trip" are Valleyfair and Michigan's Adventure, so I'm pretty sure I can hit everything in those two parks by spending one day at each.

You only need about 17 minutes to hit everything fun at Valleyfair. Maybe hit Kings Island for a day instead of VF? Plus save yourself a 12 hour drive to get to VF.

I just saw this paragraph on the Platinum Passholder Benefits section of Cedar Point's web-site.

Enter the park one hour before the general public to ride Tiki Twirl, Cadillac Cars, Cedar Downs, Dodgem, Valravn, Millennium Force, Maverick, GateKeeper, Midway Carousel and the 11 rides of Kiddie Kingdom.

I like how they added Valravn to the list of early entry rides.

I just wanted to say thank you to the folks who post the construction photo's here (and YAY for the boat!) I log on to TPR at work and cannot see YouTube or construction cams or many outside websites. The only way I ever get to look at the pictures is when they are posted here, so a big thank you to you all!!

Valravn looks great also. I find Dive Coasters to be a LOT of fun, so I think it is a good fit for the park. I don't know if it will make a lot of top 5 lists like people are speculating, but I'm sure it will be a fun and a great addition to the park.

David

I completely agree. It still baffles me that someone actually COMPLAINED about construction updates and photos being posted! I mean, really?!

A few new pictures for you all to enjoy! (Photos come from Twitter.) Valravn is looking great!!! Can't wait to see more of it come together.

That last photo is very interesting! I don't think I've ever seen a pic of CP from this angle before.

David

I completely agree. It still baffles me that someone actually COMPLAINED about construction updates and photos being posted! I mean, really?!

I know I post a LOT of screen shots of the construction... and I am glad that you all are enjoying the photos! I am really enjoying following the construction, and I'm glad to know you all are too!!

(Also, I still can't believe that people complained about construction updates either!)

That last photo is very interesting! I don't think I've ever seen a pic of CP from this angle before.

Same! It was really unique, and it took me a second to find Valravn! The photo was taken at just the right angle to make Valravn (at this point in construction) not as OBVIOUS as it might be from other angles.

Keeping you all in the loop!

The support is fully in place, and hopefully after lunch we can expect to see track going in place!!

This support looks so massive, it really puts into prospective the scale of this project.

Screenshot_2016-01-06-10-55-02.thumb.png.e9c5005e0f14d466929d72050676b6c2.png