TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

So wait, let me get this straight...Most people complained of how "stupid" it was that CP was going to name a ride after LeBron, and now that they didn't, people are mad that they didn't follow through on their word? Sheesh, only in the enthusiast world could partnering with a worthwhile charity instead of renaming a coaster seem like a bad thing.

It's not their fault that so many people assumed it was going to be a ride announcement. They never once said in their tease that the announcement today would be of a new ride, so why expect it?

"Hey, we're gonna rename a ride after Lebron James!"

"Hey, tomorrow we're gonna tell you what's going with the Lebron James thing!"

It's kinda their fault.

Am I the only one who noticed that they said the name of the new ride would be "King James" this time and not just naming a ride after him?

Earlier this summer, the park sent out a now-famous tweet stating that it would rename one of its coasters “King James”

Anyway, this announcement was a huge success for the park in my opinion. Just look how people are suddenly talking about the park!

I thought I'd mix things up a little from the recent discussions about Cedar Point's teases and post a trip report. Here you go:

I visited Cedar Point last month and had a great time. The weather was good, mostly cloudy with a little sun, but no rain, no humidity, and a light breeze off Lake Erie. I had been to CP once before in the late 90s so there were a lot of new rides this time along with some older ones I didn't get a chance to ride in the past. I went on the Thursday before Labor Day this time, and most lines were surprisingly short (unlike my first visit to CP). The longest I waited was probably about an hour for TTD earlier on, but that was when it kept briefly breaking down every 10 minutes or so. Later in the day, it wasn't breaking down so my wait was 15 minutes or less. I rode Maverick twice when the park first opened so wait times were originally quite short. At the end of the day, I rode Maverick again. The line was longer than I expected it to be that late in the day. I probably waited about 30 minutes to ride. I skipped Jr. Gemini and Woodstock Express, but I rode all the other coasters at least once and some multiple times without the need for a FastPass. I also rode some flats, played some of the Electro-Mechanical pinball machines in the big arcade, took in the sights, and had a fun and relaxing day there at the Point. (This was completely opposite of how my first trip to CP went.)

My thoughts on some of the coasters:

-Gatekeeper looks good and rode smooth. It was my first B&M wing rider, and I didn't mind the vests. I remember getting off of it and thinking, "That was pleasant and kind of fun".

-Millennium Force was really enjoyable and had surprisingly short wait times. I rode it several times and probably only waited 10-15 minutes. I liked the trains with their lap-bar-only restraints. MF was very smooth and kept its speed the entire time. I just wish it did a little bit more with all of its potential...perhaps a quick transition or two and/or some bigger airtime hills? I still like i305 better, even though I liked MF's trains better, and I wish i305 didn't have the trims on the mid-course hill. (For what it's worth, I think Skyrush is my favorite steel right now, although I really like New Texas Giant and i305. Bizarro at SFNE and Iron Rattler are fun too.)

-Top Thrill Dragster was a nice surprise. I had ridden Kingda Ka about a week earlier, but to my surprise I ended up hating KK. I had heard KK might have some vibration issues, but I was not prepared for what I experienced. I rode in the first car/second row on KK. The launch was of course powerful and extreme, but I was fine with it. It wasn't until we came down the spike (maybe not until we were completely off of the spike, though) that I began to notice the terrible rapid-fire vibrations shaking my body and especially my head to death. I briefly tried putting my head back against the headrest, but that was even worse. It was just a matter of seconds, but I couldn't wait for the train to hit the brakes. I've had some bad experiences on coasters before, but KK might be my worst. (For what it's worth, the other contender for worst abuse from a coaster would be the terrible head-bashing I got on X at SFMM years ago. I rode in the back and on the outside. Maybe X is better up front and on a non-outside seat? Maybe the X2 version is better? Another contender might be my horrible-make-it-stop ride in the back of Gwazi a year or so ago.) Anyway, I don't normally get headaches ever, but KK made my head really hurt for a good 10 minutes afterward and even caused me to have some slight recurring headaches when I rode other coasters at SFGAdv after KK. Thanks a lot KK, you piece of...! With all of that being said, I was VERY worried about having the same thing happen on TTD. Much to my relief, TTD was smooth. Sure, it's still extreme and intense, but it's re-ride-able. I rode TTD in the front and back with no problems whatsoever. I can't figure out how KK and TTD can be so similar, yet ride so differently. Is there a problem with KK's track and/or airtime hill? Maybe there was a problem with the trains or the wheels? Whatever it is, there was a huge difference between TTD and KK.

-Mean Streak: I remembered this being bad, and it still is! So much wasted wood and potential. Hopefully, RMC will get their hands on this one in the near future.

-Blue Streak was running pretty good when riding near the front of the train, but not so good in the back.

-Corkscrew: I'm not sure why, but I decided to ride this. I'm 6'-2" tall and have learned from previous experiences that I don't fit well underneath most Arrow OTSRs. When I was kid (and shorter) back in the 70s/80s, the Arrow loopers didn't hurt as much. Now, the Arrow restraints push down hard on top of my shoulders, and the Arrow seats usually have an odd "block" that pushes out into my upper back, but then have no lower back support at all. The whole design forces me into an uncomfortable position. When you take all of that and then add an airtime hill after the first drop (like on the CP Corkscrew), it equals pain! For me, Corkscrew was the most painful coaster in the entire park. I didn't enjoy Mantis, but it didn't hurt as much. Actually, my frame crammed into the Arrow minetrain at CP didn't work out well either!

-Iron Dragon - I fit in this one a little better. It was a surprisingly decent ride.

-Maverick was probably my favorite coaster at CP. It's a fun and intense layout. One little thing I wish is that it went into the launch without braking. However, the one thing I didn't like at all was getting "karate-chopped" to my neck by those OTSRs. I'm fairly tall, so my head sticks up high in those restraints. I guess it's better being hit in my neck than my ears, but I'd prefer neither. I've been on other Intamin coasters at various parks with those same restraints, but I don't remember getting hit as hard on those other coasters. After my first ride, I learned to anticipate and "lean" with the transitions to reduce the chopping effect, and that made my rides much more enjoyable. I'll add my vote to "install the softer i305-style vests onto Maverick". By the way, I snapped a picture after getting off of Maverick. Check out the couple waiting in line for the back row. When I saw what they were wearing, it cracked me up! That's taking "defensive riding" to a new level. Haha!

1810368083_MaverickHeadgear.thumb.JPG.755ec309ee8cc85dae9b2ce3c3daf1cc.JPG

What some people wear when riding Maverick! (See couple waiting for back row.)

Edited by PeggedSole

Yes and no. I'm sure he takes his own brand image seriously and there would've been licensing fees involved. He probably doesn't want to be known as the guy who just puts himself out there. And then there is the story that has been around forever that he was tossed from the park back in his high-school days... can't imagine that left a good feeling in his mind.