TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

How crowded can Cedar Point get Memorial Day and the days after?

I'm planning on maybe doing HolliWood Nights at Holiday World Friday and Saturday, maybe Kings Island the next day or two, and then Cedar Point for two days. We'd most likely get Fast Lane, but I saw a trip report where Fast Lane queue's still had long waits.

I'm really pumped up to be going. Is Platinum Fast Lane worth the extra money, though? GateKeeper we could ride early if we decide to stay at the hotel, but how long can waits for Dragster get? Also, how long would waits be in the normal queue compared to the Fast Lane queue?

I'm sorry to be asking so many questions, but I appreciate the help.

^He is saying he hopes it is put on fastlane PLUS.

Everything, including Fastlane, depends on when you go. I worked at Millennium Force, arguably the most popular coaster at the park (behind possibly Dragster). Some days we'd have no line at all...some days we'd have a line 3 hours long. There were actually times when fastlane was over 1.5 hours. This was full operation with no down time. Any weekdays in June are not bad at all, especially early June. I would not get fastlane in June except on a Saturday. It just doesn't seem worth it. Gatekeeper can be ridden fine during ERT, but also late. Nobody rode it late this past year. The line, even on days in late July, was no more than a 5-10 minute wait after around 8. That's how I got so many rides in on it.

Dragster is sometimes the same way in June. Late, there might just be a 5-10 minute wait, depending on down time. Mostly you can actually use down time to your advantage. The line will empty out when it goes down, and if you can time it right, the line is short right when it reopens. It takes some know how about the ride to know when it might reopen, but it always works!

Magnum XL 200- I thought that this was a decent ride despite the ejector airtime and slightly rough ride. The airtime hills were very different than the smooth B&M hills that I am used to at Canada's Wonderland and were more intense.

You're far from the only one that's said this, but I will never, ever understand it when people talk about the ejector air on Magnum like it's a bad thing. A good ride DESPITE the ejector airtime? How is that possible? The fact is that this ride is one of the very few truly deserving of the phrase "airtime machine", and to me if you don't like that, well, why do you like roller coasters to begin with? Just my view. It's true the bunny hops aren't smooth like on a B&M hyper, but that's what makes them great! It doesn't gently life you up and then set you back down, it CATAPULTS you out of your seat. You hit that narrow point at the top and then WHAM! Into the restraints. Over and over again! What could there possibly be to not like about that?

^ I totally agree about Maggie's airtime. The only thing that could make it better IMO, would be to get different trains. Something with some padding, not the hard plastic that is used. Also a little more room to enter and exit the car would be good too. I'm not a big guy, but its difficult getting in and out of Maggie's trains because of the lap bar.

^ I totally agree about Magnum's airtime. The only thing that could make it better IMO, would be to get different trains. Something with some padding, not the hard plastic that is used. Also a little more room to enter and exit the car would be good too. I'm not a big guy, but its difficult getting in and out of Magnum's trains because of the lap bar.

A little more padding might be nice, but personally I'd hate to see them get different trains. I love that you aren't stapled into your seat like you are on more modern coasters, and that wouldn't be worth trading in just for a more open, comfy train.

Is it true that the secret to more comfortable rides on Magnum is pulling your seatbelt as tight as possible? I tried it, but don't have enough experience to know if it works. It's too bad those lap bars tend to auto-staple. My mind seems to process the airtime on Magnum as more charming and quirky as opposed to extreme and amazing.

As a fairly tall person (6ft 2), I HATE Magnum's lap bars. I can't even enjoy the ride without my upper thighs hating me through every airtime moment, specifically the triangle bunny hops. I am in the minority when I say that I don't like Magnum very much. New lap bars would do this ride wonders.

^I think it really is a matter of where the lapbars meet your legs which, in this case, is further away from your waist than desirable and that's what makes it painful. Steel Force's restraints have a similar shape but hold you in a better place (closer to your waist) and there is no pain involved. So if they had Morgan like restraints (which are not so different) I think it would be a massive improvement.