TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

The large outside sign went to the museum with the section of track and two of the spaceships. Two other ride signs were sawed into 4"x4" squares and given to participants of the Final Dispatch event. Occasionally a chunk will show up on ebay

^I'll take your word for it, I only tried the test seat out front and it was not even close so I didn't bother lining up. I have no trouble fitting on V2 or Possessed but WT was a definite no go for me. I'm not saying the restraints ought to be bigger, just that my experience is that there is a difference.

This gets brought up about V2 all the time too...the seats and restraints are identical. If you look at the photos below, even though V2 has two buckles on most seats, there are multiple holes that the buckles can be belted into and theyre not all bolted in the same place. Depending on which hole the buckle is bolted to it might be very easy or impossible for you to buckle without the ride op even on the front buckle. Why they randomize it is beyond me.

I'm not sure about other impulse coasters but this is also not true about Wicked Twister. The buckles are all bolted into the same holes on every seat. It's not "randomized." The picture you posted is old, so I do know that now the buckles are in the farthest hole, but the seat belts are shorter. The result is the same, anyway. The restraint must still come down to a certain point, but they didn't just shorten the belts over time, they also moved the buckles up. I hope that makes sense.

The reason the test seat only has one buckle is so people can test if they fit. There's no reason for a back buckle because if you fit in the front one, you can ride no matter what. The back buckle on the ride is for safety for skinnier people.

^ OK then V2 is different because they are not all bolted in the same holes. Some are farther up, some are farther back, it doesnt seem like there's any rhyme or reason to where they bolted each buckle. I dont think they intentionally randomized it, it may just be from maintenance over the years removing/replacing buckles and not bolting it into the same holes or something.

On some seats both buckles are so far back that only really skinny people can use the seat at all...thats what I was getting at in my last post, I wondered if for safety they made it so that only skinny people could use that row, but I doubted it, and the fact that WT isnt the same pretty much confirms that isnt the case. Sorry the WT photo was old, it was the clearest photo I could find of the sides of the seats.

Are you saying that in some rows Intamin wants the restraint to be tighter so they put the buckle in a place that will not allow a rider of a size that would prevent the OTSR from being that tight?

Basically yes, However I know that on Steel Venom this is not the case. I have noticed as well that depending on the maintence crew, the attachment that the belt fastens to the shoulder harness can either swing back and forth freely or is very tight. If the attachment point can move freely then you will get about a quarter inch more of belt.

Taking a trip to the park next week. Any tips for visiting the park? Thanks. Also, does anybody know what happened to the Dispatch Master Transport sign that used to be in the queue for Disaster Transport?

In Antarctica.

Taking a trip to the park next week. Any tips for visiting the park? Thanks. Also, does anybody know what happened to the Dispatch Master Transport sign that used to be in the queue for Disaster Transport?

In Antarctica.

I thought it was Alaska? We could send people to check both anyway.

In Antarctica.

Do you think they do the Harlem Shake in Antarctica? I mean Alaska.

Was in Cleveland for work last week and decided to drive the hour to CP on Wed 6/13 in spite of stormy weather predictions. Arrived around 3:30pm and found Gatekeeper's line was only 10 minutes, so I rode that twice. Not much more to add to the other reviews, overall I thought is was a good ride and look forward to seeing clones at other CF parks in the next couple of years (KI in 2014?). The harness was a little tight especially when sitting outside, but it wasn't too bad.

I next moved over to MF whose line was about 25 minutes and then to Maverick's whose line was about 40 minutes. I just got on Maverick and got the last ride before CP shut down all the coasters because of a rain squall that lasted about 15 minutes. That happened around 5:45pm and cleared a lot of people out of the park. Raptor was still running so I hit that while waiting out the rain delay. All the coasters were back up and running by 6:30pm. The rain cleared a lot of people out of the park, and the lines for all the major coasters (TTD, GK, MF Maverick) were no longer than 10 minutes for the rest of the night. I ended the night with 8 rides on TTD. The ops were great, letting us get off and get right back on through the handicap gate so they could keep the trains filled to accommodate all the riders waiting for the front row.

Returned to the park Thursday morning, again to light crowds due to predicted storminess through midday. Took advantage of early entry for Platinum Pass holders and MF, GK, and Maverick were walk ons. Up until 2:00pm, lines were no longer than 15 minutes for MF and GK. I easily got multiple rides on these two coasters again. However, Maverick's line did fill up fast and it was easily 35 minutes by 11:00am.

TTD did not reopen until much later in the day. Apparently, it suffered a lightning strike during the storm the night before. They replaced a bunch of fuses and sensors, and TTD did okay through initial testing. They opened it to riders about noon, and after the first group filled both trains, the problems started. Mechanics were up on the top trying to fix it for over an hour. There were about 10 diehard riders who stuck it waiting for TTD to reopen for nearly 2 hours. They finally told us that it was going to be a lot longer before it reopened and we were rewarded with exit passes to MF for our patience (hey, I'll take a front seat ride on MF anytime.) I guess TTD opened later after I left to head back to Cleveland.

Throughout both days a CP, the Ops were doing a great job finding single riders to fill seats. It really helped lessen my wait time. That and the lack of crowds both days, made me glad I didn't spend the $80 for Fastlane Plus.

Skyhawk was still down as of Thursday 6/13, and I did not see anyone working on the ride while I was there. I was disappointed as I really like that ride. Maybe next time work takes me to Cleveland.

^They were testing Skyhawk on the left side yesterday, but I don't think it ever opened to the GP. The right side looked out of commission with one of the cables looped down and a side portal (near the top) open where they had been working on it.

Gatekeeper was a 15-20 minute wait Friday night so we rode it twice (first time ride was front seat left!) so we just got the regular Fast Lane for Saturday. GK is fun & smooth and none of my group had any complaints about the restraints - including my sister who is quite petite.

The coaster itself is nothing "out-of-this-world extraordinary" (just my opinion), but all in all a great coaster addition for the park. I really like how that entire area has been opened up and has created an exciting new vibe on the lakefront - very well done!

Skyhawk was testing the one side randomly both Saturday and Sunday, along with what appeared to be training for the crew on the working side. I went in for a closer look on Sunday and not only was there a cable hanging from the mechanism up top but also one laying at the bottom of the tower. If rumors of the part being on hand now are true then it looks like they aren't moving too quick to repair it. Unless they were waiting for the weekend to be done.

GateKeeper lived up to my expectations. I went in without expecting a full on intense ride and had a blast riding it. After a total of 6 laps (2 front right, 2 front left and one each in the back rows) I found I liked the front left then the back right as a close second place. Like everybody's been saying it's a great fit for the park and the GP do love it. The setting couldn't have been better and it is absolutely gorgeous to just sit and stare at.

I planned on writing a full TR for my weekend but the weather at CP didn't really cooperate for taking pictures. When the weather was clear we were in full on ride warrior mode hitting everything we could and I didn't have my camera with me. I might do one when I get home to Phoenix later this week and include the pictures I took at Michigan's Adventure, then just write about our days at CP.

Hey everyone! I made a fun video of Cedar Point. It has some pretty cool shots and editing. Check it out. Youtube link is below

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaZB7WJIC54

Great video, very well done! I just wish you had more Blue Streak footage...

I know, On the way home reviewing the shots I realized. Definitely bummed about it. It wasn't completely missed though lol It saw some slow motion action on the lift hill in the last Raptor shot. Also, it squeezed in to a GateKeeper shot which wasn't used, but I hope to use it in the future because I have enough for a second video.

^ I was speaking of my favorite ride in the park Blue Streak being 50 next season. You could see it on the video which was shooting Raptor. I understand your confusion on my remark. Blue Streak is the oldest ride in the park.