TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 2017: Top Thrill Dragster RETIRED!?!?!?

^ ^^ I might as well jump in here so someone can answer all three of us at once, cause I too will be flying in for my first CP visit soon. Im flying in to CLE on Saturday at 6 and was originally just planning on going to the park on Sunday but figured I could drive right to the park from the airport sneak a few hours of night rides in on Saturday night and was just wondering what the typical evening lines are like? For example are there certain rides whose lines tend to dwindle at the end of the night or rides whose lines are always long at night? I'm getting FastLane+ for Sunday but won't be getting it for the couple hours I'm there Saturday night.

titancoaster, to answer part of your question, only a handful of rides are supposed to be open in the morning, so Im planning on obviously hitting those on Sunday morning before the park opens. (which is why Im asking the above question, Im thinking about hitting TTD and a few others at night if possible) According to cedarpoint.com the major coasters open in the morning are GateKeeper, Millenium Force, Raptor, Maverick, and Iron Dragon.

GateKeeper and Raptor are two rides that I would recommend riding later in the day. Both rides will be packed to the brim in the morning since they are right out front. Maverick will likely be the longest wait of the day/night, so I recommend getting in line right before closing and also during the ERT. Dragster and Millenium will both likely have a pretty big line as well, but since the other coasters have a short line, you should get quite a few rides in with or without fast lane +.

^ Thanks thats a good point about GK and Raptor...exact same thing with X2 out here at SFMM, everyone rushes to it in the morning so you can always sneak in on short lines in the evening as everyone has already done it.

chknwng mentioned the FastLane queue for TTD gets long..seriously? Even with it only being available on FL+? How long can FL lines get exactly? I'm used to the Q-Bot system SixFlags has where there's rarely ever a line at all for FastPass. Hearing this I'll definitely make TTD a priority Saturday night, and if that doesnt work out I'll be hitting it first Sunday morning. I haven't ridden TTD or Kingda Ka yet so I definitely don't want to miss it.

I've now booked my flight and I'm locked in, I'll be at the park from about 8-10pm on Saturday Sep 7th and all day on Sunday Sep 8th which is a relatively short day theyre open from Noon-8pm not including morning ERT. If I can at least hit GateKeeper, Magnum, Maverick, Millenium, Raptor, TTD, WickedTwister, Mantis, and Corkscrew I'll be happy, but I'd also like to get a ride in on Gemini, Iron Dragon, Blue & Mean Streak, and Cedar Creek Mine Train if I have time. I definitely wont be stopping to eat while I'm at the park, I'll be eating right before and after.

I have a thing for you all to ponder over - why have two Intamin hypercoasters had 3 ejections resulting in 2 deaths (SFNE & Darien Lake), but one of the largest rides with that type of restraint, without any modifications, over a long, fast circuit, has a perfect safety record? I am talking about the original giga-coaster, Millenium Force, which, to my knowledge, has a sparkling safety record. And yes, I can ride it with a loose lapbar. It still feels like you will be tossed out to Canada over the first drop in the back. Not to mention Dragster, Xcelerator, Formula Rossa, the mega-lites, and other Intamin coasters with a T-bar restraint. Is it a Six Flags (or in the case of the most recent one, PARC) issue? Or is it just bad luck? At least two of the incidents were caused by error on the part of the operator, allowing someboy who couldn't properly use the restraints to ride - the Bizarro ejection involved a man with medical conditions including cerebal palsy and was likely too large to properly fit in, while the more recent Darien Lake ejection involved a man that had no legs (a war veteran) being ejected, not to mention a second, near-fatal ejection before that on Darien Lake's ride. Note that the first ejection (Darien lake, near-fatal) caused the restriction to be raised to 54"from 48", and considering all 3 were owned by the Six Flags at the time, I would imagine the others were. MF went the opposite way, from 54" to 48" soon after opening if I have my facts right. So is this a Six Flags/PARC, Intamin, or guest problem, or just bad luck? I'll leave you all to decide.

Singemfrc

If you are going to Cedar Point on Sept 8, DO NOT BUY FASTLANE . It will not be needed. The sunday after labor day is thee day to go to the Point. Its the only weekend after summer but before haloweekends. You can easily get multiple rides on everything.

I was at the park yesterday and I rode Gatekeeper. I found Gatekeeper very fun & enjoyable, an overall better ride than Wild Eagle, and is now in my top 5 roller coasters.(But I've only rode 17 so far) Magnum XL-200 was awesome even if it gets really bumpy(I got my 10 year old sister in love with roller coasters and got her on this ride.). I loved Raptor, but those inversions are really intense, so I now understand why it gets a 54' height limit. I also rode Gemini, Corkscrew (I still rode it even though my sister chickened out.), Iron Dragon, and a couple of flat rides. Overall I had a really fun time at the park hope to visit again in future after my two trips over the past two years.

^Probably the major factor on why Millennium Force hasn't tossed out anybody is CP making sure everyone is secure. Secondary factor is airtime, which Millennium Force isn't exactly known for.

MF can run fast, and it's first drop is insane in the back on pretty much any ride.

I'm sure many will be happy to know this:

Gatekeeper's restraints are slowly being modified one by one so that the vest does not lock anymore. I'm not sure which ones are already adjusted and which aren't, but it will eventually be all of them.

Happy Thursday!

Was at the Point today. The park wasn't mobbed (i.e. no one was parking on the grass as they have been in 4th of Julys prior), though considering how crummy the weather was today, there were still a ton of people at the park!

A few things about my visit that stand out in my mind:

One, Maverick's line moves painfully slowly... Though only two switchbacks in the uncovered portion of the queue were being used, the line was a full hour and a half. I blame FL. Though the sign mentioned FL having a 30 minute wait, I didn't see anyone waiting more than five or so minutes. It seemed like FL was given half the ride's capacity (i.e. 12 FL-ers let in for every 12 standby guests).

Two, when I rode GK in the back right, the vibration was BAD--perhaps worse than I've ever experienced on a B&M before. What causes this, exactly? Moreover, the ride's lighting system seems to be having issues (or continuing to have issues, rather). Many of the trains' lights were out (including all but one of the red eyes). The LED flood lights on the two keyholes were also completely out (minus one light that would flicker on and off occasionally).

Three, Mean Streak was smooth as glass! I was shocked.

Four, the fireworks were awesome! Really enjoyed the show. It was long and had a lot of cool finale-esque sequences in it.

Five, many of the rides were running at less than full capacity during / before / after periods of rain (for example, Magnum seemed to be running one train at one point). Is this done to prevent trains from crashing into one another when the tracks and brakes are wet so as to hopefully avoid another Magnum-esque accident?

Finally, my cell phone was essentially useless during my visit. Data was totally inaccessible. I'm on Verizon 3G, but LTE friends were having the same issue... What causes this? (Admittedly, I'm not really up on cell phone / Internet technology.)

Had a lot of fun despite the bleak weather and large crowds (which were amplified by a couple of all day breakdowns [e.g. Gemini and Wicked Twister] and other rides running few trains [e.g. Magnum]). Thanks, CP!

^Cant believe you had a smooth as glass ride on Mean Streak! I sat in the front and had a very rough ride.

And yes my AT&T connection was either 1 bar or no connection. But i found that my phone had no connection by TTD(could the magnetic brakes cause that?) while it had 1 or 2 bars in the rest of the park.

Gatekeeper's restraints are slowly being modified one by one so that the vest does not lock anymore. I'm not sure which ones are already adjusted and which aren't, but it will eventually be all of them.

Happy Thursday!

Good to know. They really were quite uncomfortable by the end of the ride.

Happy Thursday!

Glad to see a park is working on a fix for the issue. Lets hope other parks decide to follow if this works out and creates a better ride experience.

-Craig

^ I've been watching the reported wait times on RideHopper and it's been hovering around 45-60 mins most days (shows 50 right now, though its not a typical weekday)

Locals: Is there any advantage to taking either cedar point drive or cedar point road, is either one easier for getting into the parking lots?

When I visited CP June 8/9, I thought Mean streak was smooth. Being from San Antonio, and having ridden Rattler many times as well as Texas Giant before RMC makeovers, I thought MS was a much better ride than both of them before they closed and it was great to ride a large wooden coaster again.

I got my best ride on Gate keeper front left outside seat.

Rode MF 6x and got airtime on each ride.

I too had a problem with the data connection with my AT&T 3G connection in certain areas of the park. However I did have a full Wifi connection at Hotel breakers in my room in the Bon Air section which surprised me since they said there was no Wifi in the rooms.