TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Gatekeeper . Oh Cedar Fair how you amaze me with your naming skills. Although it dose make since given its location near the enterence.

I don't think you should be criticizing Cedar Fair's naming ability when you write a sentence like that.

Edited by larrygator

Can we stop guessing or making fun of Cedar Fair's Flight-Deck-Hawk name? It's getting a little annoying reading page after page of what people are guessing the ride name will be. Honestly I could careless what the ride name is...I'm just excited that a huge B&M WingRider is coming!!!

Just a few more....

"Dump-Hawk"

...or...

"Hawk-Dump"

...or...

"Flight-Dump-Hawk-Deck"

Or the ever popular "chicken hawk"....then again since when has B&M ever produced a kiddie coaster? ROFLMAO!!

Gatekeeper . Oh Cedar Fair how you amaze me with your naming skills. Although it dose make since given its location near the enterence.

I don't think you should be criticizing Cedar Fair's naming ability when you write a sentence like that.

Fixed

Sorry guys, didn't know how bad that sentence was.

Edited by 3Mutts

I honestly think Cedar Point will not install a wooden coaster there because I really do not think the GP wants one.

They *had* a superior wood coaster from 1964... but that disgraced in 1995.

No matter how much CP fanboys say "Blue Streak is *still* a GREAT ride," it will never be this again

Even with new stuff like Magnum and Raptor, Blue Streak was the sweetheart of the park

I knew that ride very well; rode it every day for 2 years

It's a clunking (albeit fast - clunking) typical PTC "upgrade" job today. Those stupid restraints, etc. is like being tied down in a damn coffin. With all the fame and hype of CP, I couldn't believe they didn't keep their only classic coaster. I rode it last summer for the first time in 11 years, and walked away stoic and wanted to cry. For anyone that knew the classic Blue Streak, it's a very different ride now. Just look at all that extra wood and steel supports to make up for the weight added to the trains with those stupid lap bars. To boot, the capacity is about 65% of what it used to be - but it doesn't matter because it lost its "classic" crowd years ago.

Nope, still not over it.

Does anyone else get sick of "same-ness"?

As far as a future new woodie at CP, I would think they may eventually do something with Mean Streak after watching how the new hybrid types (Texas Giant, topper tracks, etc.) stand the test of time. The run from the 3rd drop to the midcourse brake was stellar when it first opened. But that didn't last long.

I agree. B.S. is my favorite ride at the Point, even with the mods. As far as M.S. is concerned - "tare it down!!!" Cedar Fair hasn't a clue about woodies. Although at a few of their parks, they have been smart enough to install some GCI woodies. I love those...

On a 100% unrelated note, wasn't Magnum re-profiled so the pull-out of the hill before the turnaround would not be so intense? I think so, and the pretzel turn looks different, too. Here is a video before the trims and modification, and after.

Before -

Now -

On another note, what are those extensions of the ties off the edge of the track on the first drop? And when is it most common for the trims to be off - I think they were on at CoasterMania because I heard the noise as we went over them. Also, I heard the trims used to be on the top of the third hill (in the new video, you can still see where they were mounted). I find it lucky that the trims are after it now, because trimming the top of the 3rd hill probably got weakened some of the sudden burst of airtime.

On a 100% unrelated note, wasn't Magnum re-profiled so the pull-out of the hill before the turnaround would not be so intense? I think so, and the pretzel turn looks different, too. Here is a video before the trims and modification, and after.

On another note, what are those extensions of the ties off the edge of the track on the first drop? And when is it most common for the trims to be off - I think they were on at CoasterMania because I heard the noise as we went over them. Also, I heard the trims used to be on the top of the third hill (in the new video, you can still see where they were mounted). I find it lucky that the trims are after it now, because trimming the top of the 3rd hill probably got weakened some of the sudden burst of airtime.

My experience with "no pretzel trims" occurs occasionally during the evening ERT at Coastermania. Not every train get this experience. I was there this year (last Friday), and didn't get any of those rides. Several years ago I had a front seat no trim ride near midnight -- AMAZING!!!

Wow, they have really sped up the lift-motor over the years. Part of Magnum has been reprofiled and I believe it was the year after it opened. Those bars you saw going down the first drop I believe are for steps that were never installed; See Steel Dragon 2000

Those bars you saw going down the first drop I believe are for steps that were never installed; See Steel Dragon 2000

Dude, Steel Dragon is in Japan. The only reason there would be steps down the first drop would be if this was a TOGO ride!

Just to clarify for you, Steel Dragon is not a Togo - it is a morgan. He wasn't saying they were Steel Dragon's stairs - he was saying that the bars were fittings for a stairway that was never installed on the ride.

My experience with "no pretzel trims" occurs occasionally during the evening ERT at Coastermania. Not every train get this experience. I was there this year (last Friday), and didn't get any of those rides. Several years ago I had a front seat no trim ride near midnight -- AMAZING!!!

I got a trimless ride on Magnum this year. I felt so lucky.

Those bars you saw going down the first drop I believe are for steps that were never installed; See Steel Dragon 2000

Dude, Steel Dragon is in Japan. The only reason there would be steps down the first drop would be if this was a TOGO ride!

Just to clarify for you, Steel Dragon is not a Togo - it is a morgan. He wasn't saying they were Steel Dragon's stairs - he was saying that the bars were fittings for a stairway that was never installed on the ride.

I believe he was just saying the only steel coasters in the US that have stairs going down the track are TOGOs, whilst in Japan, every coaster has stairs running the entire course.

I got a trim less ride on Magnum this year, and happened to be in the "magic" seat (3rd row). One of the greatest coaster experiences ever. Does anyone know why the trims are sometimes off?

And, yes, the 3rd hill pullout was reprofiled. Not sure when though...

Here's the skinny on Magnum.

The bars on the side of the drop were in fact originally there to hold a stair case. At some point during the construction (or after), they decided not to put the stair case there.

The re-profile of the 3rd hill happened after the first season of operation. As you can see in the original video, there were no trims anywhere early on. Early during its first season, they put trims on top of the 3rd hill, because as you can hear, the upward force at that point in the ride was pretty intense (the trains also had upstop "pads" instead of wheels the first season, as well, just like Gemini). After the first season, they raised the 3rd hill something like 15 or 20 feet, and you can actually still see the old "ties" that used to hold the track on the 3rd hill today. They also re-profiled the entrance into the pretzel and put the trims there instead of the top of the 3rd hill. And the upstop pads were replaced with upstop wheels.

I can't even begin to fathom what the airtime had to be like on the 3rd hill without trims and before they re-profiled it, because it's a pretty extreme moment of airtime now.

I rode it a few times in it's opening season, but I couldn't tell you what it was like. I was scared out of my mind! No one else would ride it in my group, so they payed me a whopping $5 to ride it by myself. I went back later in the season and rode it two more times, and I ended up falling in love, probably out of fear, but something made me love it. Magnum is to thank for my roller coaster obsession.

Oh, okay. I already knew about the Morgan thing, but thanks for clearing up the catwalk question!

I was using Steel Dragon as an example. I am well aware of who made Steel Dragon and that it is in Japan. I am also aware of who made Magnum and that it is in the United States.

This is the best picture I can find that shows the mod. If you look at the supports in front of the train, you can see where the track dropped lower to the ground and attached to the track.

I've never heard anything about the hill being raised, and I think that fact that the track still has the connections for trims proves it's the original set up. Also the supports don't indicate any modification. I'm no expert on Magnum though and could easily be wrong.

On a side note, I had a few trim-less rides when I worked at the park back in 2005. Those rides easily made that thing one of the best coasters I've been on. The airtime was insane.

I've actually had really good luck these past few seasons with trimless rides. Windy or cold days seem to result in the trims being turned off, at least in the morning and night. Both visits I had earlier this summer the trims were off at some point of each day. I think the most memorable, however, was closing day 2006. It was quite cold out so the trims were off. My friend and I rode something like 20 times in a row without ever having to go back around the line (had to change seats quite a few times though) all of which were sans trims and got the last train of the season. My thighs hated it the next day, but it was so worth it. Magnum at night has such a different atmosphere to it. I think it's the darkness at the far end of the track. That plus not trims was amazing. I won't ever forget that night.

I agree. B.S. is my favorite ride at the Point, even with the mods.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post. If I was, you wouldn't be agreeing with me

On a 100% unrelated note, wasn't Magnum re-profiled so the pull-out of the hill before the turnaround would not be so intense?

Exactly... It was that pull-out; the transition from drop to pull-out resulted in a harsh SLAMMING down of riders. There were riders coming back hurt and with bloody noses. It was similar to the transition on Corkscrew at the same park - from speed bump to loop entrance, except amplified (and no shoulder bars to keep you BACK in your seat, relatively anyway). Arrow thinking at it's best.

Coupled with that - the grab bars did not extend as far as they do now, so people had to reach further out to grab them (which made it easier for the 3rd drop pull-out to shove your head down). Like when Gemini was new, the seats had insufficient padding. And last but not least, the trains had brass upstops with NO rollers on them (as Gemini and Mine Ride still do). You can hear them slamming up on the

Here is a picture someone posted of a Gemini car where you can see the wear on said upstops (I've heard they get replaced frequently):

The tunnels had a very cool soundtrack. It was simply psychedelic-spacy music that just played over and over. I have a recording of it on cassette tape (!!) that a friend made for me in college. How can I get that converted to mp3 hrm.... That was cool, but you couldn't hear it during the ride and they eventually stopped the recording.

The final tunnels also had fog (and red lights shining up through the track inside... which you can't see in this picture):

246497_185525571573083_915864287_n.jpg

Does anyone know why the trims are sometimes off?

When I worked there in 2004, those trims were controlled by the ride op in the control booth, and it had everything to do with weather (cold and windy days particularly), if the trains were running slow, we would open the trims. I want to say if the train took 56 seconds or longer from the time it left the lift to the time it hit the block by the lift we would open them up, but it's been a while so my number might be off.

You're wrong. I sit behind the computer all day and know so much more than you.

That's pretty cool that they would let you guys control it. I bet it made for some incredible employee rides!