TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

I've actually had really good luck these past few seasons with trimless rides. Windy or cold days seem to result in the trims being turned off, at least in the morning and night. Both visits I had earlier this summer the trims were off at some point of each day. I think the most memorable, however, was closing day 2006. It was quite cold out so the trims were off. My friend and I rode something like 20 times in a row without ever having to go back around the line (had to change seats quite a few times though) all of which were sans trims and got the last train of the season. My thighs hated it the next day, but it was so worth it. Magnum at night has such a different atmosphere to it. I think it's the darkness at the far end of the track. That plus not trims was amazing. I won't ever forget that night.

I agree. B.S. is my favorite ride at the Point, even with the mods.

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my post. If I was, you wouldn't be agreeing with me

On a 100% unrelated note, wasn't Magnum re-profiled so the pull-out of the hill before the turnaround would not be so intense?

Exactly... It was that pull-out; the transition from drop to pull-out resulted in a harsh SLAMMING down of riders. There were riders coming back hurt and with bloody noses. It was similar to the transition on Corkscrew at the same park - from speed bump to loop entrance, except amplified (and no shoulder bars to keep you BACK in your seat, relatively anyway). Arrow thinking at it's best.

Coupled with that - the grab bars did not extend as far as they do now, so people had to reach further out to grab them (which made it easier for the 3rd drop pull-out to shove your head down). Like when Gemini was new, the seats had insufficient padding. And last but not least, the trains had brass upstops with NO rollers on them (as Gemini and Mine Ride still do). You can hear them slamming up on the

Here is a picture someone posted of a Gemini car where you can see the wear on said upstops (I've heard they get replaced frequently):

The tunnels had a very cool soundtrack. It was simply psychedelic-spacy music that just played over and over. I have a recording of it on cassette tape (!!) that a friend made for me in college. How can I get that converted to mp3 hrm.... That was cool, but you couldn't hear it during the ride and they eventually stopped the recording.

The final tunnels also had fog (and red lights shining up through the track inside... which you can't see in this picture):

246497_185525571573083_915864287_n.jpg

Does anyone know why the trims are sometimes off?

When I worked there in 2004, those trims were controlled by the ride op in the control booth, and it had everything to do with weather (cold and windy days particularly), if the trains were running slow, we would open the trims. I want to say if the train took 56 seconds or longer from the time it left the lift to the time it hit the block by the lift we would open them up, but it's been a while so my number might be off.

You're wrong. I sit behind the computer all day and know so much more than you.

That's pretty cool that they would let you guys control it. I bet it made for some incredible employee rides!

New clue has been posted for the new attraction:

0 7 91 97 21 2

When I translated the numbers to letters and then re-organized them I got "giga babi". I have a feeling this is a false clue.

For all we know Cear Point would name the coaster "Giga Baby"!

I would stop translating the numbers into letters and would look more at the numbers as dates. That and do some addition, multiplying and subtraction and you might come up with some rather interesting information

What is the purpose of false clues if several newspapers have already reported the leaked information of a wing-rider?

By reading the blog, I feel that CP has supposedly fooled people with false information. But, what info have they released? We have a leak and crates, etc. Based on this info, we can assume that the ride is likely a wing-rider. However, if these are the only clues/info available to is, how are they actually fooling anybody? Unless, of course, the newspaper article and labels on those crates are pieces of disinformation.

I can only hope CP is that savy. But, am I giving them too much credit? Surely, another giga or mega-lite would brighten my day.

Edited by Intaman

If you do Math you can come out with 1029, That could when they do an announcement. Since that is the day after the park closes for the winter.

I can't imagine them announcing the attraction in october, let alone the end of october.

^Although unlikely, it is possible. They've waited longer to announce a ride. I remember Top Thrill Dragster was announced on my birthday in 2003 which was January 9. So it's definitely possible but I'd guess it will be announced by season's end.

^ Yeah, agreed. October doesn't seem unreasonable at all, and about on par with a lot of previous announcements, give or take (Maverick was announced in beginning to mid-September). That just gives them plenty of time to tease and build hype.

I would stop translating the numbers into letters and would look more at the numbers as dates. That and do some addition, multiplying and subtraction and you might come up with some rather interesting information

9/9/2012 17

I dont usually take part in these but thats what I came up with for just rearranging.

9/9/2012 17

I dont usually take part in these but thats what I came up with for just rearranging.

That actually makes sense! If they are adding two coasters next year, then their count would be 17 again, and the announcement should be made on September 9th! GENIUS!