TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

X2 with one train operation + Spring Break crowds =

Wow! I'm surprised that's only a couple of hours though — I would have guessed somewhere between 4 and 6 hours.

I skip it if the wait's any more than 6 minutes

my friend who waited 2 1/2 hours said she got in line at the X2 sign. so, then, it wasn't as long as the picture.

my friend who waited 2 1/2 hours said she got in line at the X2 sign. so, then, it wasn't as long as the picture.

Even, from that point (the bridge, right?), it seems like it would be longer. I haven't waited in line for that ride in many years, but the I seem to recall that when the switchbacks are full, that's a few hours right there. And when it's running a single train? It seems crazy!

Even, from that point (the bridge, right?), it seems like it would be longer. I haven't waited in line for that ride in many years, but the I seem to recall that when the switchbacks are full, that's a few hours right there. And when it's running a single train? It seems crazy!

yeah, maybe it was just a real loose line at that point. not too compressed and solid. i haven't waited for X2 in a while. like, i haven't ridden it in a few years.

^^ That is the only time that I have ridden X2. The first year we went, the line was as long in the photo and I waited in it for about 30 minutes (we moved about 20 feet) before I just gave up.

2nd visit and the line was just as ungodly, so I didn't ride...but the 3rd time (for WCB) was the charm, as I was finally able to get the credit during morning ERT.

Maybe it's because I rarely go to the park on busy days, but I haven't seen X2 develop a serious line for years — which is why that image is so shocking. I usually skip the ride, but the last few times I've been there, X2 has been a walk-on or, at most, a 5-minute wait. On the last three or so times I did ride it, trains were being sent through with just a few people on as there was hardly anyone in the station whereas Tatsu and FT were still pulling 45-60 minute waits. Time of year and even time of day clearly play a big role in that one.

That's rough. I'd straight skip it or go buy a flash pass if I ever saw the line like that now. In the last couple years, the longest I waited for X2 was maybe like an hour tops and that would be when the line is starting in those first sets of switchbacks. Back when it first opened as X2, I think I waited 2 hours max and that was when the line was about halfway across the bridge.

When it was the original X though... What a hot mess. When I rode it in 2002 and 2004, both times the line was 4.5 hours with 2 train op and the line would be starting right outside the main entrance. When I rode in 2007 tho, the ops were on point and the line was only 30-45 mins from where you pass by the soda machines under Viper's boomerang.

When it was the original X though... What a hot mess. When I rode it in 2002 and 2004, both times the line was 4.5 hours with 2 train op and the line would be starting right outside the main entrance. When I rode in 2007 tho, the ops were on point and the line was only 30-45 mins from where you pass by the soda machines under Viper's boomerang.

Holy crap... was it really that popular? I just got the credit like two years ago, and I hated how rough it was. Ow.

^^^ How long is the wait in that line? Sorry, I'm not very familiar with the park. I've only been there once and that was in 2005.

To give you a sense of what you're looking at, the line does something like this. The place where the red line ends is approximately where the picture was taken. The place where the yellow line starts is where the actual entrance to the ride is. With one train, that must have been 4-5 hours. Even when X opened, I don't recall it ever going under the bridge.

426023088_X2Line.thumb.jpg.587959fc749a2859ba8df62ab6088074.jpg

Holy crap! I was planning on going to the park today but it didn't work out. Fortunately.

I don't think I have EVER seen the line that long. With 1 train operation, that has got to be atleast a 4-5 hour wait.

I can't believe the park is opening up the Summer with 1 train on X2. Don't they have 3 trains available so when one goes out it could be replaced with the other one? I would never wait in that line. What a headache.

I believe they only have two fully operational trains, and the third is used as a parts donor. I know that was the case for original X, but I'm almost positive that's the case with X2 as well.

Holy crap... was it really that popular? I just got the credit like two years ago, and I hated how rough it was. Ow.

Dude, it was a HUGE deal back in 2002 when it opened.

X2 still has 3 trains. Trains 1 and 2 had been running for a long time and train 3 has been completely off the transfer for almost a year now. The maintenance on that train has been really slow so now Train 2 has far exceeded its cycle count and has been moved to the transfer. Hopefully train 3 comes back soon, because that line moves painfully slow with only one train and hosts waits of 3 hours even on days where it isn't that busy.

It is really quite sad with the amount of crowd this park brings in, at $20 a car for parking, that they can't possibly afford to maintain efficient operations that provide 2 train operation on some of their marquee attractions throughout the year.

Someone who's in charge of financial decisions at the park/company/SF is an idiot and just isn't doing their job right.

Am I a fool to think: Less time in line=more time to spend money on upcharged food/beverage/souvenirs/miscellaneous products that really make this company money? You'd think their priority would be less time in line, more time walking through the park, results in more profit because they charge things like $4 for a soda that costs them 10cents.

So weird to me.

It is really quite sad with the amount of crowd this park brings in, at $20 a car for parking, that they can't possibly afford to maintain efficient operations that provide 2 train operation on some of their marquee attractions throughout the year.

Someone who's in charge of financial decisions at the park/company/SF is an idiot and just isn't doing their job right.

Am I a fool to think: Less time in line=more time to spend money on upcharged food/beverage/souvenirs/miscellaneous products that really make this company money? You'd think their priority would be less time in line, more time walking through the park, results in more profit because they charge things like $4 for a soda that costs them 10cents.

So weird to me.

I completely agree. I'm not sure how much they make off flash passes, but the same thought kept running through my head when I was there in 2013. It was the middle of the summer during one of the peak seasons, with some of the worst operations I had ever seen. Lines were unnecessarily an hour-plus longer than they could have been due to completely preventable and avoidable stupid things in operations alone. I remember specifically, in addition to the just horrible operations in general all over the park, Scream was running one train, and Lex was closed for the entire week. Your brand new 400 ft drop tower, and what should be a B&M capacity machine both down in the middle of July because of routine maintenance. Mind-boggling.

Just got off the New Revolution open to Season Pass holders. I'm not sure if anyone else posted a New Revolution review earlier, but I can say that the new ride is a MILLION times better. The lap bars are a huge improvement and the virtual reality is a really cool. I will admit that I was skeptical about it at first, but it's a really cool addition to the ride. The only issue is that the operations were painfully slow as it's clear that they aren't trained for the VR technology. Hopefully that gets fixed soon. But aside from that, 2 big thumbs up for the New Revolution.

image.thumb.jpeg.38c6874353c2240d1e15d3a5688ebb24.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.73559d1181b0815f5eec69a5499a9a55.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1f6ea481e5f1d164f8bbb77da6a19356.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.c6b27c6eb0766e656a65592a96918e4a.jpeg

^^^ How long is the wait in that line? Sorry, I'm not very familiar with the park. I've only been there once and that was in 2005.

To give you a sense of what you're looking at, the line does something like this. The place where the red line ends is approximately where the picture was taken. The place where the yellow line starts is where the actual entrance to the ride is. With one train, that must have been 4-5 hours. Even when X opened, I don't recall it ever going under the bridge.

[attachment=0]X2 Line.jpg[/attachment]

Oh wow! Thanks a lot for making it more clear for me! That's really awesome!

OMG that's a long wait. I wouldn't do it.

So weird to me.

As much as I love my homepark SFDK, they do the same thing which leads me believe it's a Sixflags thing instead of specifically MM.

Every year Roar & Kong only had two train operations only during the summer months. It made the offseason & crowded Halloween season a little less fun, considering the only coaster besides those two that can hold a descent capacity is Medusa. V2, Superman, and Boomerang are the only other coasters and they obviously can only hold 1 train. Kong I wasn't upset about because I'm not trying to come close to killing myself when visiting SFDK, but with Roar it was always disappointing. I'm sure with the Joker this won't happen anymore though. I can't confirm they did this the past year as I just stopped visiting offseason due to this. Even in the summer lines are never that bad here and at CGA, especially on weekdays.