TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I actually enjoy Riddler's Revenge, but that's partly because using the single rider line you never have to wait more than a couple trains. You do have to ride it defensively but it's the best of the 4 standups I've been on (Riddler, Vortex - CGA, Mantis, Shockwave - KD). I can't think of a particular place in the train that I like best. It doesn't matter anyway because you shouldn't ever go on it without using the single rider line, and then you just take what you can get.

Went to the park yesterday for the first time this season. Below is a description of my experience with everything I did

Twisted Colossus: Amazing as always

Goliath: Man does that first drop suck. Yeah it's long, but you get absolutely no air on it. However, it's still a fun ride which some great g-force.

Full Throttle: Also amazing as always.

Apocalypse: A lot better than I expected. Last time I rode it all I remembered about it was the rattle, but this time the ride was packed with ejector air. Yeah it's rough, but I'm a huge sucker for airtime.

Los Cuates Mexican Grill: Ate here for the first time and was not disappointed. The quesadillas were superb and superior to those at Food Ect.

Goldrusher: This coaster is the only ride that I have ridden 10+ times that I have been able to walk on every single time.

The New Revolution: So I made reservations to ride this from 3-5. I got on Full Throttle at around 2:50, and I started feeling raindrops while on the brake run. I quickly ran to The New Revolution and got there at 2:57, but by then it was pouring. The employees told us that we could still ride, but we could not wear the VR. However, they didn't say that we couldn't ride in the rain because the VR wasn't waterproof, but rather that the phone wasn't waterproof. Various employees repeated this multiple times. However I just did a quick search and the Galaxy S7 can stay SUBMERGED in water for 30 minutes, so I have no clue what they were talking about. Anyways right when it stopped raining the ride started having technical difficulties. So yeah, I drove 2 hours to ride a ride that I couldn't ride.

Tatsu: While in line it started raining. The ride stopped and every five minutes the intercom would blame "minor technical difficulties". I asked some employees whether it was rain related, and they had no idea. After 45 minutes, the rain eventually cleared up and we were able to ride. To put it simply, Tatsu is a flawless flying coaster. It's smooth, it has a nice range of forces. and it has the perfect mix of elements. A little later in the day I walked by Tatsu again while it was raining and the intercom was once again blaming "minor technical difficulties". This kinda made me upset. If you are going to be closed during the rain, just say that you're going to be closed during the rain. Don't make it sound like it's totally unrelated to the rain.

Ninja: Right before I got on Ninja it started hailing. Thankfully, the ride ops still let us ride. Yeah it was painful, but it was worth it. Also, Ninja was a lot smoother and wilder than I remembered.

In the end, I feel like SFMM should have an official rain policy of what rides will be opened, which rides won't be opened, and which rides may or may not be opened. We spent a lot of time while in line for Tatsu trying to figure out if the closure was due to the rain or not. Then we had to figure out if any worthwhile rides were open in the rain. We asked about 6 employees if they knew which rides were opened, and none of them knew anything. Eventually my friend had to volunteer to scout out Ninja and Apocalypse to see if they were open. Obviously SFMM knows which rides can operate in the rain and which rides cannot, so I feel like it would benefit everyone if they a) posted it on their website or b) made sure employees know.

Few things about this All Season FlashPass:

-Your pass is blocked out on: October 8, 15, 22, 29 (Fright Fest)

-Only valid at Magic Mountain

-Not valid at Full Throttle, Ninja, Superman, Drop of Doom, and Twisted Colossus.

- And only 50% of your wait is reduced.

Sorry, but for the "sale" price of $500 or regular price of $800, it is not worth it with that many restrictions.

If I'm going to give Six Flags that much money for a pass, it better have ALL rides available to me and NO blockout dates.

Unless you're going to visit more than 10 times a year, that pass is not worth it IMO. Especially because this is only for 1 person, but mostly because it's really a lot more enjoyable to go on "off" days where it's not nearly as crowded, and you don't even need a Flash pass. If you do decide to go on busy days, with the park even allowing you to cut in line, your day can still be a headache.

Sure, you get to save 50% of the wait for rides, but what about dealing with parking lines? tram lines? metal detector lines? front gate lines? food lines? The list goes on and on.

This is the park and the company, again, just trying to see what they can get away with as far as charging a ridiculous premium price, for something that essentially costs them nothing to implement.

Which goes back full circle that if they kept up on maintenance and avoided 1 train operation during peak seasons on major attractions in the first place, if their operations were even half of what Disney provides, something like this wouldn't even be necessary. Instead they cut corners on attractions to save money, which increases wait times to ridiculously low capacities, to which their answer is "Instead of actually fixing the root of the problem, let's just charge them to cut in line instead!" So essentially, the public rewards them for providing crappy attraction operation capacity.

In the end, the folks in the regular line end up waiting EVEN LONGER because there are people cutting in front of them, which avoids them time to be able to spend even more money on concessions and souvenirs, while also leaving a terrible impression of the park in their mind. Have a Six Flags day!

Getting customers to pay a high price for something that costs little to implement sounds like great business, honestly. That's usually a sign that you have a highly desirable product.

Ninja: Right before I got on Ninja it started hailing. Thankfully, the ride ops still let us ride. Yeah it was painful, but it was worth it.

Hail? Wow. I've been on some fast coasters in rain, and that stung bad enough.

Went to the park yesterday for the first time this season. Below is a description of my experience with everything I did

Twisted Colossus: Amazing as always

Goliath: Man does that first drop suck. Yeah it's long, but you get absolutely no air on it. However, it's still a fun ride which some great g-force.

YOLOcoaster: Also amazing as always.

Apocalypse: A lot better than I expected. Last time I rode it all I remembered about it was the rattle, but this time the ride was packed with ejector air. Yeah it's rough, but I'm a huge sucker for airtime.

Los Cuates Mexican Grill: Ate here for the first time and was not disappointed. The quesadillas were superb and superior to those at Food Ect.

Goldrusher: This coaster is the only ride that I have ridden 10+ times that I have been able to walk on every single time.

The New Revolution: So I made reservations to ride this from 3-5. I got on YOLOcoaster at around 2:50, and I started feeling raindrops while on the brake run. I quickly ran to The New Revolution and got there at 2:57, but by then it was pouring. The employees told us that we could still ride, but we could not wear the VR. However, they didn't say that we couldn't ride in the rain because the VR wasn't waterproof, but rather that the phone wasn't waterproof. Various employees repeated this multiple times. However I just did a quick search and the Galaxy S7 can stay SUBMERGED in water for 30 minutes, so I have no clue what they were talking about. Anyways right when it stopped raining the ride started having technical difficulties. So yeah, I drove 2 hours to ride a ride that I couldn't ride.

Tatsu: While in line it started raining. The ride stopped and every five minutes the intercom would blame "minor technical difficulties". I asked some employees whether it was rain related, and they had no idea. After 45 minutes, the rain eventually cleared up and we were able to ride. To put it simply, Tatsu is a flawless flying coaster. It's smooth, it has a nice range of forces. and it has the perfect mix of elements. A little later in the day I walked by Tatsu again while it was raining and the intercom was once again blaming "minor technical difficulties". This kinda made me upset. If you are going to be closed during the rain, just say that you're going to be closed during the rain. Don't make it sound like it's totally unrelated to the rain.

Ninja: Right before I got on Ninja it started hailing. Thankfully, the ride ops still let us ride. Yeah it was painful, but it was worth it. Also, Ninja was a lot smoother and wilder than I remembered.

In the end, I feel like SFMM should have an official rain policy of what rides will be opened, which rides won't be opened, and which rides may or may not be opened. We spent a lot of time while in line for Tatsu trying to figure out if the closure was due to the rain or not. Then we had to figure out if any worthwhile rides were open in the rain. We asked about 6 employees if they knew which rides were opened, and none of them knew anything. Eventually my friend had to volunteer to scout out Ninja and Apocalypse to see if they were open. Obviously SFMM knows which rides can operate in the rain and which rides cannot, so I feel like it would benefit everyone if they a) posted it on their website or b) made sure employees know.

Just a note with the "waterproofness" of the phone: Yes, it can be submerged for a short period of time, but you're dealing with wind driven rain while riding... Essentially the water is under pressure and will work it's way into the phone...

they didn't say that we couldn't ride in the rain because the VR wasn't waterproof, but rather that the phone wasn't waterproof. Various employees repeated this multiple times. However I just did a quick search and the Galaxy S7 can stay SUBMERGED in water for 30 minutes, so I have no clue what they were talking about.

The New Revolution's VR uses the Galaxy S6 Edge, which are not water resistant at all.

It is odd that they chose the S6, as the S7 is about the same price, actually slightly cheaper at my local AT&T store.

The New Revolution's VR uses the Galaxy S6 Edge, which are not water resistant at all.

It is odd that they chose the S6, as the S7 is about the same price, actually slightly cheaper at my local AT&T store.

My guess would be Samsung heavily subsidized the cost of the VR systems for the publicity. So Six Flags most likely took what Samsung was giving them.

In defense of SFMM, having an official rain policy is nearly impossible...every ride will react slightly different in the rain, human judgment calls factor into it, weather patterns can change very quick, and so on. Lots of variables. Saying "minor technical difficulties" might actually be the truth, as rain can and does cause technical issues (such as drive tires getting wet, sensors being flagged, etc.)

That is why their website states:

he park contains all types of activities, many of which are not dependent upon good weather, including indoor shows, games and arcades. While some rides and shows may close due to rain or wind, they are opened as soon as the weather clears. Refunds and rainchecks are not offered. As Guest safety is our number one priority, there are certain weather circumstances that may cause the entire Park to close earlier than scheduled or not open at all. As soon as closures are confirmed the website operating calendar will be updated with the Park's current operating status. Please check the website prior to visiting on days when weather may be a concern.

In defense of SFMM, having an official rain policy is nearly impossible...every ride will react slightly different in the rain, human judgment calls factor into it, weather patterns can change very quick, and so on. Lots of variables. Saying "minor technical difficulties" might actually be the truth, as rain can and does cause technical issues (such as drive tires getting wet, sensors being flagged, etc.)

That is why their website states:

he park contains all types of activities, many of which are not dependent upon good weather, including indoor shows, games and arcades. While some rides and shows may close due to rain or wind, they are opened as soon as the weather clears. Refunds and rainchecks are not offered. As Guest safety is our number one priority, there are certain weather circumstances that may cause the entire Park to close earlier than scheduled or not open at all. As soon as closures are confirmed the website operating calendar will be updated with the Park's current operating status. Please check the website prior to visiting on days when weather may be a concern.

I know that they know certain rides that are "designed" to work in the rain and others that aren't, so they could post those. I was there in December when it rained part of the day, and like FT closes completely in the rain, but one employee told me (when I asked) that TC is designed to work in the rain. Of course, it also kept breaking with small "minor difficulties" (I assume one sensor that didn't like being wet), but it was at least trying to run. I guess it's that there are some that definitely close and some that they'll try to run, making it clear which those are would be good. I'm sure there are other exceptions for high wind or lightning or hail or whatever too.

I agree Nrthwnd. I ride Gold Rusher, and have never had the good fortune of riding Revolution without the OTSR...I think Revolution provides a nice scenic ride, and will be fun again. I would only ride it if people in my party wanted to go on it.

Yeah and the night rides on it... Can't wait

I'm sure rides are different, but I can give you the perspective of the rain policy when it comes to the Entertainment department. When I was working at the park (mind you this was 12 years ago, so things might have changed) the call to proceed with a show belonged to the Sound Mixer. I always tried to be as consistent as possible with making the call. Typically, if we had anybody (literally, one person) waiting to watch a show I would continue with the show on schedule. If there wasn't anybody in the theater I would delay the show by 5 minutes, if somebody showed up we would run it, if nobody did I would cancel it. The only time I actually ended up cancelling a show due to weather was during Fright Fest. We were up on Samurai Summit doing some haunted cooking show, and my gear was located behind the rock wall in the trees. There had been a lot of rain that day, but I had built a nice make shift shelter out of a tarp and managed to keep the equipment dry. When a lighting storm rolled in however I decided that my dedication to the next show was less then my desire not to be struck by lightning as I'm hanging out under numerous large trees. We ended up cancelling a single show and got going as soon as things improved.

-Not valid at YOLOcoaster, Ninja, Superman, Drop of Doom, and Twisted Colossus.

Okay, but like.... Why not Ninja? What's so special?

Has anyone heard anything about SFMM HH getting a new water ride b/c they are storing parts for one by Scream!!!

Yeah they are replacing the two middle slides on the structure that's closest to where Flashback was.

-Not valid at YOLOcoaster, Ninja, Superman, Drop of Doom, and Twisted Colossus.

Okay, but like.... Why not Ninja? What's so special?

I believe it's because Ninja is one train ops a lot now. When Ninja runs one train on a busy day and there are a lot of Flash Passes, they will sometimes send one train of regular line and then the next train full of Flash Pass (effectively doubling the wait time of the regular line). Ninja just wasn't meant to run with only a single train...

^Honestly not sure, I think it might actually be two trains right now, (also really haven't paid too close attention) but it was one train not too long ago if it isn't still. Whenever a train does get pulled for routine maintenance it does take forever though hence the increased and prolonged frequency of one train ops.

Off topic, but will it get to the point with the tower where it's cheaper to just take it down than it is to do whatever kind of maintenance they need to do on a structure that tall (regardless of it actually having people occupy it or not)? Such a strange history for that thing.

^What's up with that again? It's been a while, but did something happen for it to once again go back to one train?

I was there for two days last week and Ninja was running two trains. They were letting Flash Pass users on every other train, which I thought was a good system for keeping the line moving (the same procedure was in place for the Gold Rusher flash pass). I did finally see a rollback on FT, and of course it's while I was in line. However, it only resulted in about 15 min of downtime, so it wasn't that big of a deal. The majority of that time was waiting for the train to finish rolling back into the station. It stopped about 50 feet from the station and then crawled back into loading position. A maintenance guy was already there by the time it finished rolling back, so they sent a few test trains and then we were good to go. FT is such a fun coaster and the hangtime at the top of the loop is just insane. I just wish they had been able to extend the track after the tophat so it didn't hit the brakes halfway down.

I'm sure rides are different, but I can give you the perspective of the rain policy when it comes to the Entertainment department. When I was working at the park (mind you this was 12 years ago, so things might have changed) the call to proceed with a show belonged to the Sound Mixer. I always tried to be as consistent as possible with making the call. Typically, if we had anybody (literally, one person) waiting to watch a show I would continue with the show on schedule. If there wasn't anybody in the theater I would delay the show by 5 minutes, if somebody showed up we would run it, if nobody did I would cancel it. The only time I actually ended up cancelling a show due to weather was during Fright Fest. We were up on Samurai Summit doing some haunted cooking show, and my gear was located behind the rock wall in the trees. There had been a lot of rain that day, but I had built a nice make shift shelter out of a tarp and managed to keep the equipment dry. When a lighting storm rolled in however I decided that my dedication to the next show was less then my desire not to be struck by lightning as I'm hanging out under numerous large trees. We ended up cancelling a single show and got going as soon as things improved.

That's exactly why it doesn't make sense to have a specific published rain policy...there is no way to 100% predict what will happen. Tell a guest something operates in the rain and then it breaks because of the rain? Tell a guest a show runs rain or shine, then cancel it because of rain? You just made the problem worse.

^What's up with that again? It's been a while, but did something happen for it to once again go back to one train?

I was there for two days last week and Ninja was running two trains. They were letting Flash Pass users on every other train, which I thought was a good system for keeping the line moving (the same procedure was in place for the Gold Rusher flash pass). I did finally see a rollback on FT, and of course it's while I was in line. However, it only resulted in about 15 min of downtime, so it wasn't that big of a deal. The majority of that time was waiting for the train to finish rolling back into the station. It stopped about 50 feet from the station and then crawled back into loading position. A maintenance guy was already there by the time it finished rolling back, so they sent a few test trains and then we were good to go. FT is such a fun coaster and the hangtime at the top of the loop is just insane. I just wish they had been able to extend the track after the tophat so it didn't hit the brakes halfway down.

I was at the park yesterday (the 31st) and Ninja was running two trains as well. And I'd love to see a FT rollback (or even better, be on one). The train crawls on the underside of the loop, you think it'd happen more often.