TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Am I right in thinking they're using wood from parts of the old structure removed from the turn arounds and other places to build the new support structures for these bunny hills, Zero-G stall, etc?

That doesn't seem like it would make much sense. Why would they build a new structure with wood that will already have years of its useful life removed?

Maybe it's just me but it looks like the picture is taken at an angle that just makes the hill a bit sharper than what it truly is?

To me it looks like the aspect ration is a bit off. It looks a bit squished up to me, which would make the hill steeper and shorter than it really is.

look at the cars parked below. bit narrow

That doesn't seem like it would make much sense. Why would they build a new structure with wood that will already have years of its useful life removed?

Well most of the ride is built on top of an old structure with years of its useful life removed so it's not that far-fetched of an idea.

In the pictures of the new structure for the bunny hills and such, to me the wood used for those looked just as aged as the old structure for the lift hill behind them. That could have been caused by how the light was hitting the structure or the angle though.

Maybe it's just me but it looks like the picture is taken at an angle that just makes the hill a bit sharper than what it truly is?

To me it looks like the aspect ration is a bit off. It looks a bit squished up to me, which would make the hill steeper and shorter than it really is.

look at the cars parked below. bit narrow

Always keep in mind that an artist rendition is just that, it's not meant to be a completely accurate reproduction of a ride.

I can confirm that it is all new wood that is used for Twisted Colossus(why would someone even ask that kinda question?)

Because Six Flags is known for cutting corners to save money, the idea of using old wood might seem ghetto but it's SIX FLAGS.

Good to know new lumber is going in though

First-time poster, long-time lurker here! I am visiting this park next Wednesday, and it will be my first time! I hail all the way from Nebraska, so pretty excited. I just have a few questions...

1. I have heard that Scream was getting a new paintjob back in February, has it been finished and is it open?

2. Where is the best place to ride on X2?

3. Is the Gold or Platinum Flash pass worth the extra $$$ if the park is crowded next week? I know it is in the middle of the week in March but Spring Break is upon us.

Thank you to those who answer these noob's questions

Because Six Flags is known for cutting corners to save money, the idea of using old wood might seem ghetto but it's SIX FLAGS.

Good to know new lumber is going in though

It isn't SIX FLAGS at all. It is the engineering and construction firms (RMC in this case) that provide the safe and competent design, materials and structure. SIX FLAGS has no say in what makes up those elements.

First-time poster, long-time lurker here! I am visiting this park next Wednesday, and it will be my first time! I hail all the way from Nebraska, so pretty excited. I just have a few questions...

1. I have heard that Scream was getting a new paintjob back in February, has it been finished and is it open?

3. Is the Gold or Platinum Flash pass worth the extra $$$ if the park is crowded next week? I know it is in the middle of the week in March but Spring Break is upon us.

Scream's paint is mostly done with the exception of the station, but it isn't open yet. Its likely to stay closed while the screampunk district is under construction.

For the smoothest ride on X2, ride on the inside seat with someone heavier on the outside. For the best view, the front row is what appears as the back row when you're in the station (Since the train goes up the lift hill with the riders facing backwards down the hill)

Yeah the park has been getting busier lately, but as you're going on a Wednesday, it may not be necessary. You may want to wait until you get there to see how busy it is and if you want to pay for it.

Scream's paint is mostly done with the exception of the station, but it isn't open yet. Its likely to stay closed while the screampunk district is under construction.

For the smoothest ride on X2, ride on the inside seat with someone heavier on the outside. For the best view, the front row is what appears as the back row when you're in the station (Since the train goes up the lift hill with the riders facing backwards down the hill)

Yeah the park has been getting busier lately, but as you're going on a Wednesday, it may not be necessary. You may want to wait until you get there to see how busy it is and if you want to pay for it.

Ok thank you very much! Concise and to the point

Not to keep the wood subject alive, but I would be curious how much of the original structure does get replaced in one of these RMC projects. I'm sure a lot of the original structure (of which I guess I would also be curious how much wood on that coaster dated back to 1978 before RMC even touched the ride) is coming towards the end of it's usable life.

Debating whether or not RMC are Reusing old wood in construction? and people thought discussing the mathematics behind airtime was the low point of the off season.

While I agree, if you want to really see the low point of the off season, you should check out some of the other threads, particularly from parks that are closed all winter. Yikes.

I'm really excited to see this "top-gun" get put together. The idea of racing with train that's upside down and directly above you is one of the most interesting elements of this ride, IMO.

Not to keep the wood subject alive, but I would be curious how much of the original structure does get replaced in one of these RMC projects. I'm sure a lot of the original structure (of which I guess I would also be curious how much wood on that coaster dated back to 1978 before RMC even touched the ride) is coming towards the end of it's usable life.

I think that just varies greatly depending on the wood obviously. in one of the videos, they are talking about needing to replace a lot of the wood on the lift hill anyway. then, the different elements might need different bracing, so that of course would be new.

I'm sure they survey the structure and determine what's salvageable and what should be replaced. The lift hill, for example, is something they didn't need to replace, especially since there's significantly less stress on the lift hill structure as opposed to any other part of the ride where the forces of the train wear and tear on the structure.

Anyone want to take a stab at what day this week will be the lightest?

it's bring-a-friend-free day everyday this week.

I'm thinking Tuesday or Wednesday would be ideal?

OR, should one wait until April when the next BAFF week is? (I assume it'll be busier then)

It's been a couple years since SFMM was my home park, but mid week is always a good bet. People like to make long weekends that will start on a Thursday or end later on a Monday. In my opinion, Wednesday seems like the safest bet.