TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

King's Island has a lot of land to use, but I believe if Kings Island builds a large scale ride, such as a giga, they're going to want it to be intertwined with the scenery and park as a whole. Fury and Leviathan are visual showcases, where as I305 is just kind of plopped down in the back corner of the park. It's a shame and I think that detracts from the ride, regardless of how awesome the layout is. I305 seems to do little to add to the overall atmosphere of the park, aside from its dominant hill on the skyline.

As far as using the old SOB queue goes, I think we're leaning on that a little too much. Kings Island isn't going to work an entire new attraction around one unused queue if it doesn't conform to the ride placement and guest interaction they want. Maybe if it's convenient, but if you look at the overall cost of a dive machine or giga, building a new station and queue isn't really all that much more added cost.

The kiddo and I are going to be in town on Saturday to hit up the park for the first time this year. He's really hoping it doesn't end up being Vortex, he loved that ride last year. I'm in the same boat because I have a soft spot for Arrow loopers and they're becoming few and far between lately. I'm hoping for Firehawk personally because I've never had a good ride on a Vekoma flyer and IMO it'd be no great loss. The Bat... I don't even wanna think about that, to be honest.

This will be our first year visiting during Haunt. Anything to recommend (other than the obligatory Beast night rides)?

I really hope its not Vortex, but I totally accept the possibility that it may be!

My final prediction is Firehawk, with Vortex not far behind. Firehawk has low ridership and has been known to be a maintenance problem. It could make total sense for the ride to removed and the parts to be used to support Nighthawk at Carowinds (much like Stinger does for Invertigo).

Vortex, while it is known to be rough, still does get a lot of ridership.

Firehawk has a flying theme so that could fit with the air being quiet. That also fits Vortex as well, however. Removing Firehawk gets rid of a low-ridership maintenance plagued attraction and frees up some area along with the Dinos area and would allow ample room for the B&M. R

I really hope it is not The Bat. I know it sits way back there, but it gets decent ridership and is just a great ride in my opinion.

Time will tell though...less than an hour until it is known!.

ripFirehawk.PNG.f5208f54975dab0259e665050079c997.PNG

Wellp. Firehawk it is. I'm not incredibly happy about that, but it's better than it being the Bat, at least. I really wish they'd announced it early enough that I could have made plans to get out there for some last rides though.

Well that particular ride, like all others, is not eternal so unless they rename it again at some point, they will.

A few parks might rightly disagree with you.

kennywood-2015-jack-rabbit-large-8.thumb.jpg.c246bdd9dcb22d7b3aac8fa110cca5da.jpg

1024x576-vernieuwde-python.thumb.jpg.bd730578b1052331b253302e57e91bf6.jpg

580px-Knoebels_Phoenix.jpg.4d2f747d1f1284229fdeb50dcfa7b239.jpg

the-incredible-hulk-coaster-islands-of-adventure.jpg.22663218d003111618ae4a20a9ed7ed9.jpg

Sometimes things are just perfect-enough how they are.

As I figured. Not a huge loss, though I'm surprised they're just scrapping it... I hate seeing any coaster junked needlessly, and I highly doubt Firehawk is really "at the end of its service life". But whatever... I'm sure that's where we'll be seeing expansion in a couple years, and it'll be way better than Firehawk! I'm glad I'll be there tomorrow night, to get one final night ride in!

RIP Firehawk. Seems a lot of people didn't like it, I for one really liked it, thought it was definitely Vekoma's best coaster model of the time period (may not be saying much but still.) While I really hope it's relocated and not scrapped, I have a feeling it might be with the maintenance nightmare rumors.

Wellp. Firehawk it is. I'm not incredibly happy about that, but it's better than it being the Bat, at least. I really wish they'd announced it early enough that I could have made plans to get out there for some last rides though.

I too am not incredibly happy about this... It was seriously one of mine and my partners favorite rides in the park. And I wish there would have been more of a notice so we could have made it out there to ride it again!!

But oh well, I'm sure whatever the park has planned for that area will great!!

Please let it be #MIA2019 It would easily become there 2nd best coaster and there best steel coaster. Come on Cedar Fair throw MIA a bone

Please, Cedar Fair! Don't just waste a perfectly good coaster that could make the coaster lovers of Michigan very happy!

Looks like this is the end of another Flying Dutchman. I actually really like these coasters. My only visit to King’s Island was in 2011, and Firehawk was my favorite ride there at that time.

So, is this really the end? Or is it new for Dorney Park in 2019?

Looks like this is the end of another Flying Dutchman. I actually really like these coasters. My only visit to King’s Island was in 2011, and Firehawk was my favorite ride there at that time.

So, is this really the end? Or is it new for Dorney Park in 2019?

Someone in the Dorney thread claimed one of their employees said it's not going there. Still, I'd love to see it; I still love Firehawk and I'd be that much happier if it just ended up closer to me!

Personally I wish it was Vortex. That hunk of wasted steel just needs to go.

Bummed as this was the first coaster I learned to operate when I was at SFWoA. But time moves on, all rides have a lifespan. Some longer than others. I'll try to stop in on the 21st after a camping trip to get a final ride. If I don't this isn't a huge loss.

While I don't think KI would replace a flyer with a flyer so soon it does open up a new option for the 2020 project that has B&M involved. Following this project will be fun.

It was always exciting when Firehawk was announced for employee ride nights because it would never end up opening and they'd give us Flight of Fear or Racer instead

See ya never Firehawk.

Carowinds has the best version of the Vekoma Flyer in a much better presentation. The corkscrews make way more sense than the trash-can rolls.

Hopefully this ends up being relocated, rather than just being cannibalized by Nighthawk (Nighthawk on Fire?)- but parting it would make the most sense. Apart from it's quirks and shitty load/unload time, it's a decent ride.

Glad it wasn't one of the Arrows!

Edited by Ed Farmer

As I figured. Not a huge loss, though I'm surprised they're just scrapping it... I hate seeing any coaster junked needlessly, and I highly doubt Firehawk is really "at the end of its service life". But whatever... I'm sure that's where we'll be seeing expansion in a couple years, and it'll be way better than Firehawk! I'm glad I'll be there tomorrow night, to get one final night ride in!

How do you know they're scrapping it?

How do you know they're scrapping it?

I don't, though the way it was worded seemed to indicate that. However, I'm really hoping that's not the case!