Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

P. 1717 - Firehawk to be removed after the 2018 season
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:11 pm

^ Well, the river referenced in Rivertown is clearly the Ohio. It's the main point for Cincinnati's existence.

I'm down with Vortex being removed. That would open up a lot of land for future expansions.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby TheAmericanKnight » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:35 pm

I feel like Firehawk is very likely for the removal, however, Vortex is more likely to be removed.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby prozach626 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:28 am

King's Island has a lot of land to use, but I believe if Kings Island builds a large scale ride, such as a giga, they're going to want it to be intertwined with the scenery and park as a whole. Fury and Leviathan are visual showcases, where as I305 is just kind of plopped down in the back corner of the park. It's a shame and I think that detracts from the ride, regardless of how awesome the layout is. I305 seems to do little to add to the overall atmosphere of the park, aside from its dominant hill on the skyline.

As far as using the old SOB queue goes, I think we're leaning on that a little too much. Kings Island isn't going to work an entire new attraction around one unused queue if it doesn't conform to the ride placement and guest interaction they want. Maybe if it's convenient, but if you look at the overall cost of a dive machine or giga, building a new station and queue isn't really all that much more added cost.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby coneyislandchris » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:36 am

The kiddo and I are going to be in town on Saturday to hit up the park for the first time this year. He's really hoping it doesn't end up being Vortex, he loved that ride last year. I'm in the same boat because I have a soft spot for Arrow loopers and they're becoming few and far between lately. I'm hoping for Firehawk personally because I've never had a good ride on a Vekoma flyer and IMO it'd be no great loss. The Bat... I don't even wanna think about that, to be honest.

This will be our first year visiting during Haunt. Anything to recommend (other than the obligatory Beast night rides)?
That coaster dad [316] and that coaster kiddo [175]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Banshee. Top Thrill Dragster. Valravn. Apollo's Chariot. Twisted Timbers.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby Coasterguy21 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:20 am

I really hope its not Vortex, but I totally accept the possibility that it may be!

My final prediction is Firehawk, with Vortex not far behind. Firehawk has low ridership and has been known to be a maintenance problem. It could make total sense for the ride to removed and the parts to be used to support Nighthawk at Carowinds (much like Stinger does for Invertigo).

Vortex, while it is known to be rough, still does get a lot of ridership.

Firehawk has a flying theme so that could fit with the air being quiet. That also fits Vortex as well, however. Removing Firehawk gets rid of a low-ridership maintenance plagued attraction and frees up some area along with the Dinos area and would allow ample room for the B&M. R

I really hope it is not The Bat. I know it sits way back there, but it gets decent ridership and is just a great ride in my opinion.

Time will tell though...less than an hour until it is known!.
This is my super lame signature where I will mention the words "roller coaster" and "theme park"

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby SteveStL » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:50 am

I can't see KI getting rid of The Bat twice, aint gonna happen.

Delirium is the rox0rz

Postby PKIDelirium » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:54 am

Well that particular ride, like all others, is not eternal so unless they rename it again at some point, they will.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Rai Fox » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:03 am

ripFirehawk.PNG

https://twitter.com/KingsIslandPR/status/1045312253866708999

Wellp. Firehawk it is. I'm not incredibly happy about that, but it's better than it being the Bat, at least. I really wish they'd announced it early enough that I could have made plans to get out there for some last rides though.

I just swallowed a whole donkey!

Postby JT325 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:09 am

PKIDelirium wrote:Well that particular ride, like all others, is not eternal so unless they rename it again at some point, they will.

A few parks might rightly disagree with you.
kennywood-2015-jack-rabbit-large-8.jpg

1024x576-vernieuwde-python.jpg

580px-Knoebels_Phoenix.jpg

the-incredible-hulk-coaster-islands-of-adventure.jpg

Sometimes things are just perfect-enough how they are.
#CPFrontierLift2019

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby DILinator » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:12 am

As I figured. Not a huge loss, though I'm surprised they're just scrapping it... I hate seeing any coaster junked needlessly, and I highly doubt Firehawk is really "at the end of its service life". But whatever... I'm sure that's where we'll be seeing expansion in a couple years, and it'll be way better than Firehawk! I'm glad I'll be there tomorrow night, to get one final night ride in!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5.Twisted Timbers 6.The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10.Phantom's Revenge Honorable Mentions: Ravine Flyer II Shivering Timbers, Kraken Mako Underrated Coasters: Steel - Manta, Wood - White Lightning

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!