Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

P. 1164: "Holiday in the Park: event announced for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 5581
Joined: 02 Aug 2012
Location: These Ozarks Hills
Gender: Male
Age: 33

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon May 28, 2018 7:48 am

CaptainUnknown wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:
boldikus wrote:^ I know, right? It may look like a simple ride from afar, but it really packs a punch.

I love that line of reasoning. Anything that packs a punch can now be called a roller coaster, including Chuck Norris.


Does this mean that Mike Tyson also has bite?

Yes it does, but that means he's not a roller coaster. It's a great classification system. Good job, Six Flags!
Image
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

I think Intamin should make a donkey!
 
Posts: 161
Joined: 01 Apr 2016
Gender: Female
Age: 50

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby teacherkim » Mon May 28, 2018 10:47 am

ilrider wrote:
teacherkim wrote:Ok, Chicago people, my Dad and Son will be up there next week and going to the park either Wed or Thurs. While I get that there is never an absolute; what are the crowds liable to be like next week? Are schools still in (kinda seems like they might be from the park hours)? Trying to decide if I should go ahead and just get them fastpasses since they will only have one day or wait because it is unlikely they will be needed. It's just a lot easier to do ahead of time since I would be paying!


Most of the high schools in the area are already on summer vacation, but a lot of the elementary schools are still in school this week in the surrounding suburbs. Chicago Public Schools are still in session.

The crowds are usually not bad in May during the week, and mid-week is a good time to go. There is a chance of rain and thunderstorms Wednesday and Thursday this week, the much higher chance being on Wednesday.

Regarding the flash pass, I never buy them at any park, so someone else might be able to address that better, but I would guess they would not be needed this week due to so many schools still being in session and the fact it is only May, and a short operating day. Some guests will also be at the waterpark. I know you would like to buy them ahead of time, but I would advise they just wait to see what crowds are like and buy them if needed at the park. I would also advise arriving before the park opens, because they could walk onto a lot of rides early in the day without a flash pass. If money is no object though, and it would ease your mind to buy them, then buy them.



Yeah, who would have thought that they would have to worry about a tropical storm, in Chicago, in May. Go figure. They may just have to make a last minute decision about which day to go. We usually get fp if we are at a park out of town and only have a day, but no reason to throw money away either. They may just have to see what the crowds are like and make the decision at the park.

Donkeys are my way of life!
User avatar
 
Posts: 521
Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Location: Chicago area
Gender: Male
Age: 42

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby ilrider » Mon May 28, 2018 10:59 am

teacherkim wrote:
ilrider wrote:
teacherkim wrote:Ok, Chicago people, my Dad and Son will be up there next week and going to the park either Wed or Thurs. While I get that there is never an absolute; what are the crowds liable to be like next week? Are schools still in (kinda seems like they might be from the park hours)? Trying to decide if I should go ahead and just get them fastpasses since they will only have one day or wait because it is unlikely they will be needed. It's just a lot easier to do ahead of time since I would be paying!


Most of the high schools in the area are already on summer vacation, but a lot of the elementary schools are still in school this week in the surrounding suburbs. Chicago Public Schools are still in session.

The crowds are usually not bad in May during the week, and mid-week is a good time to go. There is a chance of rain and thunderstorms Wednesday and Thursday this week, the much higher chance being on Wednesday.

Regarding the flash pass, I never buy them at any park, so someone else might be able to address that better, but I would guess they would not be needed this week due to so many schools still being in session and the fact it is only May, and a short operating day. Some guests will also be at the waterpark. I know you would like to buy them ahead of time, but I would advise they just wait to see what crowds are like and buy them if needed at the park. I would also advise arriving before the park opens, because they could walk onto a lot of rides early in the day without a flash pass. If money is no object though, and it would ease your mind to buy them, then buy them.



Yeah, who would have thought that they would have to worry about a tropical storm, in Chicago, in May. Go figure. They may just have to make a last minute decision about which day to go. We usually get fp if we are at a park out of town and only have a day, but no reason to throw money away either. They may just have to see what the crowds are like and make the decision at the park.


We do sometimes get remnants of hurricanes and tropical storms way up here, but like you said, in May is rare. Usually happens in August or September.

If you typically get the FP for one day trips to ensure they get on everything, then go for it. With the shorter operating schedule, hitting all the coasters in one day may be a bit tough, it that is the goal. I just don’t want you to waste money. It’s always a total guess.
[img]
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://
[Image
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/fe606e4d7df6bd8b82f92c697d3b438b.jpg[/img][/url]

I think Intamin should make a donkey!
 
Posts: 161
Joined: 01 Apr 2016
Gender: Female
Age: 50

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby teacherkim » Mon May 28, 2018 11:37 am

Yeah, for my son that is the goal...so I will probably just get them and be done with it. We get the remnants sometimes here in St Louis too but usually only when they hit Texas. This one is hitting kind of far to the east to still get Chicago....waiting to see the track when it makes landfall. Maybe the "cone" will shift, lol.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!
 
Posts: 161
Joined: 01 Apr 2016
Gender: Female
Age: 50

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby teacherkim » Thu May 31, 2018 5:25 am

Just to let everyone know for future planning. It was absolutely packed yesterday. Apparently, it was the last week for several schools and my Dad informs me that there was busload after busload of schools being dropped off. They had good weather until about 4 when lightning shut down most rides. With fastpass they got on 7 of the coasters before the weather shut down. Fortunately, my son was smart and did all the unique coasters so the only ones he did not get on were mostly clones that he had ridden in other parks.

I Love Donkeys!
 
Posts: 37
Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Location: Florida
Gender: Male
Age: 47

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby dadofgage » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Here's an old picture I found from packing for an upcoming move of the Tidal Wave probably from the late 70's to very early 80's.

Thought some of you might enjoy seeing a pic of the park from that era.

Image

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 3071
Joined: 12 Oct 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Gender: Male
Age: 18

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:06 pm

Cool, thanks for sharing. Seeing old pictures of shuttle loops really makes me happy that Montezooma is still around and going strong.
Credits: 170, give or take, depending on how one counts
Top 5: (1) Skyrush (2) Fury 325 (3) Intimidator 305 (4) El Toro (5) Maverick
Instagram @american_thrills

I Love Donkeys!
 
Posts: 37
Joined: 13 Jun 2005
Location: Florida
Gender: Male
Age: 47

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby dadofgage » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:11 pm

thrillseeker4552 wrote:Cool, thanks for sharing. Seeing old pictures of shuttle loops really makes me happy that Montezooma is still around and going strong.


That was my first upside down coaster - my dad paid me $20 to ride it LOL.

I'm trying to find some other pictures - I know I have more.

Why do I still have a donkey title???
User avatar
 
Posts: 2511
Joined: 20 May 2015
Location: Belgium
Gender: Male
Age: 22

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby JordyC » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:41 am

dadofgage wrote:That was my first upside down coaster - my dad paid me $20 to ride it LOL.


That is awesome! I wish I was being paid to ride coasters! :lol:
Quality Over Quantity

1. Shambhala - PortAventura Park 2. Taron - Phantasialand 3. Helix - Liseberg 4. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park 5. Schwur des Kärnan - Hansa-Park 6. Blue Fire Megacoaster - Europa-Park 7. Silver Star - Europa-Park 8. Balder - Liseberg 9. Goliath - Walibi Holland 10. Alpina Blitz - Nigloland

Coasters: 173 || Parks: 34

Wildlands || Walibi Belgium || Parque Warner || Parque de Atracciones || Python 2.0 || Phantasialand || Movie Park Germany || Nigloland || Walygator Parc || Bakken || Tivoli Gardens || PortAventura

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 30 Jan 2008
Gender: None specified

Re: Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

Postby dave41580 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:10 am

dadofgage wrote:Here's an old picture I found from packing for an upcoming move of the Tidal Wave probably from the late 70's to very early 80's.

Thought some of you might enjoy seeing a pic of the park from that era.

Image


Very cool, I have a similar shot of Tidal Wave from '88 that was taken from the same Sky Whirl/Triple Wheel gondola vantage point.

Interesting to to note that both Tidal Waves at SFGAm and CGA were able to tout "world's tallest" upon release due to the fact the footers used were 4' to 5' higher than normally used on your standard shuttle loop. You can make out the elevated footers by reviewing the supports leading up to (and including) the counter-weight tower.

I believe the same height record tactic was used on Great American Scream Machine at SFGAdv to easily usurp (albeit briefly before Magnum opened) the record set by its near clone Shockwave at SFGAm the year before.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!

Who is online

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests

These pages are in no way affiliated with nor endorsed by SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment, Cedar Fair, Legoland, Merlin Entertainment,
Blackstone, Tussaud's Group, Six Flags, Universal Theme Parks, the Walt Disney Company or any other theme park company.

All onride photos and videos on this website were taken with the permission of the park by a professional ride photographer.
For yours  and others safety, please do not attempt to take photos or videos at parks without proper permission.

Disclaimer!  You need a sense of humor to view our site, 
if you don't have a sense of humor, or are easily offended, please turn back now!
Most of the content on this forum is suitable for all ages. HOWEVER!
There may be some content that would be considered rated "PG-13."
Theme Park Review is NOT recommended for ages under 13 years of age.

cron