TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...
An Adventureland fan Instagram page has posted an image showing inverter being removed. I wonder what will take its place?

https://instagram.com/p/BhfcfgCF9fs/

It is sad to see a dying breed of a ride go. But I am sure it is for the best.

Side note, I'm only assuming it is a dying breed being that Adventureland is the only place I've ever seen one in person.

When I visited Adventureland in the Summer of 2016, Inverter was open the entire day. But it was hardly operating because there was just no one going to it. I saw it operating a handful of times and the most people I saw on a cycle was maybe 3.

I'm pretty sure I still liked Inverters when I rode the one at Adventureland (after people I was with got stuck on it, even). I was just starting to realize that a lot of people can't stand 'em. They're on my naughty list now, though. (At the time I was more easily impressed, and didn't know how rough or uncomfortable was considered "too much.")

• 2 months later...

Thinking about going in August - do wait times get shorter on Saturday evenings here or is it pretty constant? I'd be going to ride Monster (and maybe Outlaw if it isn't too wild crowd wise) after going to the state fair in the AM.

• 2 weeks later...
I’m planning on visiting Adventureland for a few hours on the last Sunday of July. How busy does the park usually get on Sundays?

I was there on a Sunday around the same time last year, and it wasn't busy at all! Monster's wait maxed out at maybe 10-15 minutes.

I guess a lap bar came open(according to a guest) on the parks lighthouse ride. No injuries or harm done, but kind of interesting that the park went onto social media to report the incident.

It's good to know that they take these things seriously.

Screenshot_20180723-002304_Facebook.thumb.jpg.29fae4e23c373bb4b4f2722e0b170f23.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2018/12/11/adventureland-new-rollercoaster-phoenix-tickets-coupons-summer-hours-opening-altoona-des-moines-ia/2276263002/

Adventureland building $6 million roller coaster

Thrill-seekers have a new roller coaster to look forward to this summer at Adventureland Park in Altoona.

A spinning coaster called "The Phoenix" will open in June, featuring a four-seat car that spins 360 degrees as it goes up and down hills. Construction will start in late February.

"It's a whole new degree of craziness," said Molly Vincent, spokesperson for Adventureland.

The $6 million roller coaster will replace the Inverter, a ride that was discontinued in 2017 off the main boulevard. The Super Screamer was there until 1999.

Maurer Rides, a company from Germany, is manufacturing the roller coaster, which will reach speeds of 40 mph and over 50 feet in height, Vincent said.

The Phoenix is the first spinning roller coaster at Adventureland and is a "family roller coaster," Vincent said.

In comparison, Adventureland's last roller coaster, "The Monster," reaches heights of 133 feet.

"It's more twisty and diving," Vincent said.

The park will open for the weekends in April 2019.

B1952F7B-9837-4E46-9D29-8696AF2E838A.jpeg.50f002ee86cb0d9672fa5f04979328b3.jpeg

Wow, a Christmas surprise! I'm definitely ready to make the drive back up to Adventureland. I love this park, and with Monster and now this I feel like they are really coming up in the world.

Even if it is just a SC2000 standard model, those are very fun rides and one of the few clones I don't mind. Will be interesting to see if they sprung for a custom model though.

I'd bet the house on an sc2000 and that's fine by me. I love those. They're insane.

The "over 50 feet in height" phrasing sort of gives it away. They're 50.8 ft and that seems like the best possible way for a marketing team to describe a 50.8 ft tall coaster and make it sound epic.