Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

P. 70: Phoenix (Maurer spinning coaster) to open in 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Re: Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

Postby RollingCoasting » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:04 pm

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2018/12/11/adventureland-new-rollercoaster-phoenix-tickets-coupons-summer-hours-opening-altoona-des-moines-ia/2276263002/

Adventureland building $6 million roller coaster

Thrill-seekers have a new roller coaster to look forward to this summer at Adventureland Park in Altoona.

A spinning coaster called "The Phoenix" will open in June, featuring a four-seat car that spins 360 degrees as it goes up and down hills. Construction will start in late February.

"It's a whole new degree of craziness," said Molly Vincent, spokesperson for Adventureland.

The $6 million roller coaster will replace the Inverter, a ride that was discontinued in 2017 off the main boulevard. The Super Screamer was there until 1999.

Maurer Rides, a company from Germany, is manufacturing the roller coaster, which will reach speeds of 40 mph and over 50 feet in height, Vincent said.

The Phoenix is the first spinning roller coaster at Adventureland and is a "family roller coaster," Vincent said.

In comparison, Adventureland's last roller coaster, "The Monster," reaches heights of 133 feet.

"It's more twisty and diving," Vincent said.

The park will open for the weekends in April 2019.

B1952F7B-9837-4E46-9D29-8696AF2E838A.jpeg

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Replacing a dumpster fire Chance Inverter with a Maurer spinner is a massive, massive upgrade.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:58 pm

While no one will ever confuse this Phoenix with the one at Knoebels, these Maurer spinners are a lot of fun. I'm guessing it's one of the SC2000 models like Undertow or Lagoon's Spider.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Schwur des Karnan
Most Recent Trip Reports- Arnolds Park & Nickelodeon Universe/Mall of America

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Shavethewhales » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:53 pm

Wow, a Christmas surprise! I'm definitely ready to make the drive back up to Adventureland. I love this park, and with Monster and now this I feel like they are really coming up in the world.

Even if it is just a SC2000 standard model, those are very fun rides and one of the few clones I don't mind. Will be interesting to see if they sprung for a custom model though.

Did my donkey title just change???

Postby OmnipotentSeal » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:06 pm

Does anyone know if this will be a sc2000 or a custom model? RCDB just says it's a spinning coaster for now. The stats certainly match with the sc2000 but it's always nice to have a unique coaster.
Please wake up. We are trying a new technique. We don't know where this will show up in your dream, but we hope this message will reach you. You are in a coma. Please wake up. Your family needs you.

Postby coasterbill » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:20 pm

I'd bet the house on an sc2000 and that's fine by me. I love those. They're insane.

The "over 50 feet in height" phrasing sort of gives it away. They're 50.8 ft and that seems like the best possible way for a marketing team to describe a 50.8 ft tall coaster and make it sound epic. :lol:

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:07 pm

Wow, that's great news! Glad to see they're staying up with the current trends. This is a very smart purchase for them.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:18 pm

A kick in the crotch would have been better than an inverter so yeah...score one for Adventureland!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:28 pm

SharkTums wrote:A kick in the crotch would have been better than an inverter so yeah...score one for Adventureland!

How many of those are actually left?

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:54 pm

^Too many! Didn't we force someone to ride the one at Circus Circus last year!?!?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!