Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

P. 807: Tigris track installation now complete!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

Postby robbalvey » Thu May 28, 2015 2:23 pm

Just got back from the Cobra's Curse announcement event. All I can say is... WOW! I think this ride looks AWESOME!!! While Mako will make a huge statement in Orlando, it's sister park in Tampa is building something that will make a statement across the theme park world. Lots of B&M hypercoasters out there have been built, and Mako will have reasons to stand alone, but I have not seen a ride like Cobra's Curse...EVER!

It sort of reminds me of part Euro Mir, part Sierra Sidewinder, part Cheetah Hunt. It's got a little bit for everyone AND it's family accessible. I really think this ride will end up being the bar that is set for many other family coasters and most certainly spinning coasters in the future.

Here's the press release, and some photos & video from today...

Tampa, Fla. (May 28, 2015) – Busch Gardens® Tampa puts a spin on family thrills in 2016 with a brand new family thrill ride – Cobra’s Curse. This spin coaster is the only one of its kind in the world, featuring a vertical lift and taking riders on a whirlwind adventure of exciting explorations.

Located in the Egypt area of the park, explorers will come face-to-face with an 80-foot snake icon, trek over the park’s Serengeti Plain® and discover the mysteries of an Egyptian archeological excavation.

“This isn’t your ordinary spin coaster. In true Busch Gardens style, we’re putting a twist on this attraction and taking riders on an unforgettable and exciting journey,” said Busch Gardens Park President Jim Dean. “

“The addition of a family spin coaster complements the selection of thrill rides Busch Gardens offers, and we know it’s an attraction that guests from across the globe will enjoy,” Dean added. “We continue to find new and exciting ways to offer thrills for the entire family, and we know Cobra’s Curse will even further solidify Busch Gardens as Florida’s Thrill Leader.”

Cobra's Curse Fact Sheet:

Height: 70 Feet

Length: 2,100+ feet of track

Speed: 40+ MPH

Ride Vehicles: 8 trains operating at one time, 8 riders per train.

Capacity: 1,000+ PPH

Ride Length: 3 1/2 minutes

Height Restriction: 42"

Teaser Video:

Concept Art:
60070-10_cobrascurse_Ride_20150527.jpg
6d9a8e75a51d430c95c7907197fa77db_cobras-curse-rendering-1_460x345.jpg
Cobra's Curse Key Rendering.jpg
dcc1a2b760db433da2a13443bf53745e_cobras-curse-rendering-2_460x345.jpg
cobras curse logo.jpg
cobracurse_01.jpg
I love coming to events at Busch Gardens!
cobracurse_02.jpg
They do such a nice job with their credentials and media packets!
cobracurse_03.jpg
We were invited into the excavation site but this archeologist.
cobracurse_04.jpg
Oooh! We got to go... "behind the walls!" =)
(We see you Montu)
Photo by Jack Crouse
cobracurse_05.jpg
You have been warned...
cobracurse_06.jpg
We are told this area will also be used as the queue for the ride. So if you remember the old "Tut's Tomb" attractions, it will still be utilized.
cobracurse_07.jpg
Noted!
cobracurse_08.jpg
Here you can see the construction site. They have quite a bit done. Some footers have even gone in already. (Photo by Jack Crouse)
cobracurse_09.jpg
Park President Jim Dean takes the stage to tell us about Cobra's Curse. (Photo by Jack Crouse)
cobracurse_10.jpg
The ride will feature TWO lifts. One of them being a 7-story vertical lift. Something of which we don't have here in the US on a traditional roller coaster.
cobracurse_11.jpg
There will be themed elements all over the ride. They didn't mention any "dark ride" type sections, so I'm not expecting that.
cobracurse_12.jpg
They did mention that there would be a non-spinning section, a backwards section, and a spinning section. It all sounds AWESOME!
cobracurse_13.jpg
A track length of 2,100 feet is quite long for this type of ride! For example, Sand Serpent is only 1,400 feet of track and Scorpion is 1,800. This should feel like a pretty significantly long ride.
cobracurse_14.jpg
Overall, everything about this ride sounds amazing! When the park could have just built your standard spinning coaster, they went WELL outside of the box and are going to create something totally unique! I love it!
cobracurse_15.jpg
Of course we had to take a lap around the park as I feel that Busch Gardens Tampa has the best "Quality over Quantity" coaster collections in the world!
cobracurse_16.jpg
Kumba is no exception. It still remains my favorite B&M and today it ran incredible!!!
cobracurse_17.jpg
Scorpion still kicking around and it's GREAT! Love this ride. This really is the *perfect* "first big coaster" for kids.
cobracurse_18.jpg
I also feel that Falcon's Fury is the best drop ride in the world. When you hit the top and do the 90 degree thing... WOW!
cobracurse_19.jpg
And IMO, Cheetah Hunt is about a perfect as a coaster as you can get. It has something for everyone. It's family-friendly, has airtime, inversions, some totally cool twisty parts over the water, the launches, etc. Cobras Curse is going to totally round out an already amazing selection of coasters at Busch Gardens. Now all they need to do is get those Rocky Mountain guys in to take a close look at Gwazi! :P

Photo by Jack Crouse

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:36 pm

Yup, a SeaWorld and Busch Gardens two park pass is a must have for 2016, this and Mako both look like incredible additions (but mostly..THIS). Can't wait to follow the construction of this thing.

I wonder if the two vertical lifts will be in that same tower structure or if there will be two separate lift sections.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu May 28, 2015 3:08 pm

Here's a couple of frame grabs from the video which I think show off some quite interesting stuff! This is not your average spinning coaster layout AT ALL!!!
cobra_video_1.jpg
cobra_video_2.jpg
cobra_video_3.jpg
cobra_video_4.jpg
cobra_video_5.jpg

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby Genx24 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:17 pm

Once I saw Robb describe this ride as "part Sierra Sidewinder", I was sold. I love that ride, and this looks even better. I'll definitely be making my way down to Tampa for my inaugural visit to BGT once this opens.
Total Coasters: 140

I own the website www.donkey.com

Postby MagnumFreak25 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:29 pm

Am I the only one who thinks this layout looks very gerstluaer.
Top 10:
El Toro, Boulder Dash, Magnum, Phantom, Maverick, Goliath (SFOG), Millenium, Nitro, Dragster, Storm Runner

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu May 28, 2015 3:33 pm

MagnumFreak25 wrote:Am I the only one who thinks this layout looks very gerstluaer.

It could just be that I've been on a lot of Mack coasters (Blue Fire, Helix, Euro Mir, Sierra Sidewinder, Space Fantasy, etc) that it looks very "Mack" to me.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Thu May 28, 2015 3:48 pm

Thanks for the update Robb! Wish I could have said "hi" to you while you were here!

When I first heard they were getting a spinning coaster, I was kinda like "meh," but this totally blew my mind when I heard about it. It's going to look really impressive and add another great coaster to Busch's already fabulous lineup.

I, too, consider Kumba my new favorite B&M! I feel so fortunate to be working here (and freaking living here! Like literally on property!) and having the opportunity to ride all of these wonderful coasters all summer. The last week and a half has been wonderful and we've just been doing training so far, it's going to be even better when the kids get here!
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Cyrbuzz » Thu May 28, 2015 4:02 pm

Great report Robb, this ride looks amazing and will definately be a crowd pleaser. I've been a passholder of Busch Gardens and Sea World for many years and they never cease to amaze me. By the look of some of them shots it appears it will have a similar paint scheme as Kumba. 2016 is going to be exciting and I'm already on pins and needles. Good job Busch Gardens and Sea World, world class all the way.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Thu May 28, 2015 4:13 pm

First, I just want to say that I think Cobra's Curse is a far more intriguing ride than Mako (although I'm sure the latter will be fun and a hit for SeaWorld). Second, Jack's photo of Cheetah Hunt is the best one I've ever seen of that ride.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Thu May 28, 2015 5:04 pm

robbalvey wrote:It could just be that I've been on a lot of Mack coasters (Blue Fire, Helix, Euro Mir, Sierra Sidewinder, Space Fantasy, etc) that it looks very "Mack" to me.

The car design is what really seems to give it away. I know it's concept art, but they look like Coast Rider cars with headrests.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!