Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

P. 771 - Firebird Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Postby cal1br3tto » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:28 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:^ I think their Mind Eraser is tied with Canada's Wonderland's for the worst SLC I've ever been on. Unless they add vest restraints or perform a Morey's level retracking, I don't see myself riding it again.

I take it you haven't ridden T3? The other SLCs I dislike (all but Great Nor'Easter) are about the same to me in their badness--some are surely even rougher than others, but I don't keep track. Those restraints absolutely kill T3.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:33 pm

^ Agreed completely. Great Nor'Easter is great, Timberhawk is pretty good, T3 is the spawn of Satan. All the rest are about as bad as each other.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:59 pm

^^ I actually have ridden T3 with the new restraints and thought it was ok. The ride was among the worst of SLCs with regards to how it tracked, but the restraints did remove all headbanging.

Most people don't seem to share my opinion that it's enjoyable though.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Twisted Colossus, Iron Rattler, Skyrush
Most Recent Trip Reports- IMG Worlds of Adventure & Legoland Dubai

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby bill_s » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:17 am

I often enjoy Mind Eraser, but only recommend it if you're there with a hat and/or hood for protection (or helmet). That is the time.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby Trackmaster » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:58 am

bill_s wrote:I often enjoy Mind Eraser, but only recommend it if you're there with a hat and/or hood for protection (or helmet). That is the time.

Generally, the best approach to eliminate head banging is to literally pull yourself forward and hold your head in front of the restraints. The movement is mostly side to side, so if there's nothing to bang onto, there's no real problem.

For me, the issue with the headbangers is just the antiquated designs that hurt the whole body and make the ride unpleasant. B&M, RMC, and other new age smooth coasters aren't just superior because of the superior restraints, but its mostly because the transitions and the contraction are far superior. B&M loopers generally have hard OTSR's that would cause head banging, but the rides are smooth enough that it prevents it. Even if a coaster like the Great American Scream Machine (SFGadv) or the original Steel Phantom had lapbars, you would still feel the jerkiness of the ride and the uncomfortableness of the transitions.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby AndrewA86 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:22 am

It's weird, because when I rode Roar in December during HitP, I thought it was riding amazingly well. It was so much fun! Maybe it was running a tad slower due to the freezing temps, and that made it fun, or maybe it was something else. But I rode it again last Thursday, and I had the same experience as you. It was really quite rough.

I had that same experience with Thunderhead at Dollywoood. One day it was pretty darn smooth and then the next it was rough as hell.

AndrewA86 wrote:and I did not ride the SLC because I don't ride SLC's. I take everyone's word for it that they suck.

I dunno, it's not that bad. I always ride it once when I go, and I don't regret it.

I might ride the one at Michigan's Adventure. I hear that one is one of the better SLC's.

Glad you enjoyed the park though! You can have a great time, if you set your expectations appropriately.

Yep, absolutely. I wouldn't mind at all if that were my home park.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby The Geek Mojo » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:32 am

I've rode my share of SLC's, but nothing is worse than Kong at SFDK. T3 is bad, but not that bad. And truth be told, Kong wasn't that great either when it was new at Opryland as Hangman. There's no such thing as a good SLC.

I poke manatees in the butt.

Postby Jcoaster » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:46 am

I didn't think SFA's Mind Eraser was too horrible, actually it is one of the better ones that I have ridden.

I rode Nor'Easter before the re-tracking and new trains.....Woof.
Lightening Rod/Skyrush/El Toro/I305/Superman: The Ride/ Twisted Timbers/Storm Chaser/ Apollo's Chariot/Phoenix/Boulder Dash

Postby coasterbill » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:01 am

The Geek Mojo wrote:There's no such thing as a good SLC.

Great Nor'Easter is outstanding now. I'm also a big fan of Mind Eraser (or whatever) at SFNE with these new trains. Thunderhawk at Michigan's Adventure is solid too.

All the other ones I've ridden have been pure sh*t.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby grsupercity » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:05 pm

I am enjoying all the SLC love lately on these forums! :lover:
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!