TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Indiana Beach (IB) Discussion Thread

I think people will be surprised at this ride. The crowns of each beyond 90 drop will be controlled with mags. This must be done in order to limit negative accelerations on the riders....to -2G (-1G because of gravity and -1G dynamically across the crown). However, once the drop reverses direction and dynamic G's are pushing rider into the seat rather than pulling them out, the train will exit mag control and coast through the pullout up to the next block point. This is very different than the first gen squirrels where the vehicle was controlled throughout all pullouts.

Also, the 180/180 curve (180 flat curve with simultaneous 180 roll to the OUTSIDE of the curve) will be insane. At the 90 point of the curve, riders will be banked 90 degrees to the outside. Dynamically, this will translate to extreme airtime through the curve. Easily the most unique new inversion to be seen on a coaster in a long time.

I think people will be surprised at this ride. The crowns of each beyond 90 drop will be controlled with mags. This must be done in order to limit negative accelerations on the riders....to -2G (-1G because of gravity and -1G dynamically across the crown). However, once the drop reverses direction and dynamic G's are pushing rider into the seat rather than pulling them out, the train will exit mag control and coast through the pullout up to the next block point. This is very different than the first gen squirrels where the vehicle was controlled throughout all pullouts.

Also, the 180/180 curve (180 flat curve with simultaneous 180 roll to the OUTSIDE of the curve) will be insane. At the 90 point of the curve, riders will be banked 90 degrees to the outside. Dynamically, this will translate to extreme airtime through the curve. Easily the most unique new inversion to be seen on a coaster in a long time.

Thanks for the information! I fully expect this to be a great ride. Indiana Beach, in my experience, really likes to push their rides to the limit. A slow and boring custom steel coaster doesn't sound like their forte at all to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldnt that be the same thing that the flying dutchman coasters do when it goes from lie to fly???

^^Somewhat similar, but not quite. This "Steel Hawg Roll" as I call it because rcdb didn't give a name for it yet - banks in the opposite direction of the "Lie to Fly Roll" - the Steel Hawg Roll banks to the right/outside instead of the left/inside - and it does a complete inversion and 180 degree turn instead of a "half inversion" and a 90 degree turn.

• 4 weeks later...

**EDIT ON 1/19/2008

I guess I'm declaring this as an unofficial thread for Steel Hawg... anyway... Have fun!

On Indiana Beach Blog, they just released the rendering of Steel Hawg's car! Look pretty nice... Can't wait to see the track layout and how they will fit in the park!

Caw! Caw!

Well, you’ve wanted it, you’ve asked for it, … heck, some of you have begged for it! Well, it’s here! It’s time to get your first look at what part of Steel Hawg will look like! We’ve just received an rendered image of what the finished cars will look like! Click on the image below to take a better look!

Notice the unique restraints! The wild ride is designed to better accommodate guests of various shapes and sizes quite comfortably! Not only that, for classic hot rod & fun lovers like me, be sure and checkout that fire-primed detailing! Is it May of ‘08 yet??

Keep you IB memories and stories coming. It’s fantastic to hear about everyone’s trips and adventures while on beautiful Lake Shafer in Monticello, Indiana! I’ll add even more fun to the contest & stories … just because I’m one “crazy crow!” Besides your fondest memories, share with me what you like BEST about Indiana Beach and/or what makes Indiana Beach so special in your mind & heart! We know our guests keep coming back for a reason, let me know what that reason is!

You’ve still got a couple weeks to get those stories into me! Don’t forget, 5 random winners will be selected from all of the stories received to take home IB Combination Ride & Water Park Passes, so include your complete mailing information!

Talk with you more soon!

-IB Crow

Source: (View From the Crow's Nest) Indiana Beach's Blog

Those ratcheting shoulder staples look like the system that used to be on Thriller/Taz's Texas Tornado/Texas Tornado that got removed and replaced by regular OTSRs just before it became Zonga.

OMFG those things were painful.

Just hope that the first instance of positive Gs doesn't let those things ratchet down another notch or two and give you accordion-spine for the rest of the ride.

Seeing the cars actually makes me LESS excited about this ride.