TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 771: Onsite employee housing under construction at Dollywood

On 10/27/2021 at 7:21 AM, u4icmusic said:

Still can't find out if Dollywood is going to continue the reservation system next season or not 

No one has a clue what things will be like in March.
They have contingency plans, but until then no point discussing them publicly.

On 10/21/2021 at 10:14 PM, u4icmusic said:

It's only a 5% reduction in the discount which is minimal. The diamond pass has the 20% discount and includes the water park for the summer months. I don't remember what I paid for my 2021 gold pass, but the new price didn't seem much different than last year.

15% vs 20% is minimal to some, but it adds if you buy a lot of food and merch.
Still a reduction in benefits, just like the change on parking upgrades a few years ago.

Was your 2021 pass new or a renewal of the 2020 pass? The renewal for a few extra months was a lot cheaper than a new pass for all of 2021.  ($164 Gold, $80 regular vs the full price of $229 and $144)

On 10/21/2021 at 10:14 PM, u4icmusic said:

Did you call the toll-free number and ask for a refund yet? I wouldn't wait much longer. They might offer to roll it over to a 2022 gold pass.

I did try a few times to call and message. Finally got a call back yesterday. And of course the reps there aren't authorized to do anything. Took down info and passed it up the chain.
Extending though 2022 would be great (as I paid a lot less for part 2021)  but I'd be fine with the 2021 money back or as a discount/coupon.

I know it's late, but I kept hoping to make the trip all summer/fall but things just never worked out.
Hoping they will see they weren't used in 2020 or 2021 and make accommodation. I know 4-5 years ago they would have, but who knows with all the changes in recent years.

Ironically using the wait time website pre-covid memorial day was even slow, I was shocked how low waits on actual memorial day there was.  Post-covid it looked about what we deal with during Spring Break week which is the first week the park is open in March.

1 hour ago, SharkTums said:

Can we somehow blame this on Lightning Rod and/or have it spread to the ride and just collect the insurance money!!?

This. Stick a fork in it already.

On 10/27/2021 at 3:15 PM, IzzyB said:

So I know Memorial Day weekend would be packed, but does the crazy packed go into the week too?  We normally go to Myrtle Beach that week and by Monday afternoon it is pretty dead at Myrtle Beach since most schools are still in session.  I wasn't sure if Dollywood would be the same way or not.

If you are worried about ride wait times, just buy the Timesaver pass. It is worth the extra money on busy days.

I have a family of 5 and a season pass.  So paying $250 every time we go is too expensive.

I was looking at the gold first hour timesaver, but not sure that is worth it either.  The lines aren't as long that first hour and then i have to commit to going that first hour.

New pass prices up (not renewal).
https://www.dollywood.com/Tickets/Season-Passes
https://store.dollywood.com/product/multi/pass/tag/2park/newpass

Silver = $139 ( Super + $55= $194 )
Gold = $194 (Super + $55 = $249)
Diamond = $304

$40 for water park dining.

Renewals page updated too (8 payments instead of 10) total price the same.
https://www.dollywood.com/Tickets/Season-Passes/Current-Passholders/Renewals
Silver = $129
Gold = $184
Diamond = $294

So a whopping $10 discount for renewals.

Betting they are getting their MACK coaster now. That graphic clearly shows a coaster layout with two side by side launch segments similar to Time Traveler at SDC.

XR7QWROHW5AEJOJHNXPK773NXM.png

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sdcfan88 said:

Betting they are getting their MACK coaster now. That graphic clearly shows a coaster layout with two side by side launch segments similar to Time Traveler at SDC.

XR7QWROHW5AEJOJHNXPK773NXM.png

A Time Traveler clone or something similar with spinning cars would be great. I do think Dollywood is putting way too much emphasis on "family" rides instead of thrill rides though and that is a mistake.

I agree completely coasterbill. I was really hoping the next major addition would be the rumored dark ride. Coasters are awesome of course, but DW and SDC have built so many big coasters when they could have been competing with Disney on some truly amazing indoor rides that would also help them remain popular year round and in all weather. They also desperately need to restore the woodland feel to the area after they clear cut everything. 

43 minutes ago, u4icmusic said:

A Time Traveler clone or something similar with spinning cars would be great. I do think Dollywood is putting way too much emphasis on "family" rides instead of thrill rides though and that is a mistake.

I disagree, I think they actually have invested in too many extreme thrills. I don't understand why the park doesn't focus much more on younger families considering their spending and activity ratios compared to other guests. Obviously I enjoy the big coasters, but I've always thought it was a weird business decision when kids visiting the park have few marquee rides for them. Disney is king not just because of their IP's...

The layout looks nice. Hard to tell if it inverts or what, but the tunnel on the SE end looks cool. Considering the area, is it going to be like a kids version of Lightning rod? Another terrain launched coaster kind of like a mini Cheetah Hunt? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree with coasterbill and shavethewhales2. This park needs more themed experiences, and indoor rides. Time Traveler looks fun and all, but when I was at the park this last summer it was noticeable how few indoor/themed rides for the whole family they have, especially if that's really what the majority of visitors are. Also, they need more stuff up in the front of the park I think, all of the big rides are in the back now (besides Lightning Rod), and I think having more major rides up front will balance things out better.

Also, please tell Dolly to plant some more trees...it is called Wildwood GROVE after all...

Personally, I'm hoping for a Flooded Mine themed dive coaster in the Mountain Slidewinder/Owen's Farm/Daredevil Falls area for the next major coaster. I think that strikes a good balance between capacity, thrills, and wide appeal that the park needs.

• Like 1

I mean a dark ride would be great but if I'm picking between a dark ride and a decent coaster I'd take the coaster every time. I mean I get it, dark rides are fun and gives an option for an indoor attraction that can operated year round, makes the park more well rounded compared to places like Disney or Universal, but this isn't Disney or Universal. How many shows does Dollywood have? I honestly don't know the answer to that but I know it's a lot, and a lot of different types during different seasons, and every time I've been the shows are always packed. I feel like Dollywood knows it's audience, and the audience is people that come for the shows and the food or for the coasters. A dark ride would be awesome, but I feel like most visitors to that park would rather have a new coaster, especially if it's an awesome family coaster with a lower height limit.

• Like 1

This park is starting to remind me of early 2000 SFMM.  Going all in on technologically advanced coasters instead of focusing on anything else and praying their work.  Not going so well with Lightning Rod, so why not add another launched coaster?

Interesting…. I’d definitely be down for an extreme spinner or another family style launched coaster. Either one will be a great, and welcomed addition to the park. 

however, I’ll echo others…. hopefully their next addition is a dark ride.