TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 796 - Ride closing 10/30 to remove launch and install chain lift!

^Lightning Rod was doing ok-ish in the Fall, then constantly went down after that, and they shut it down for the season a few days before the actual season even ended. I have no idea how it will run this year.

It was open enough to win the Golden Ticket for Best New Ride in 2016 (which I thought was Valravn's to lose)

Personally I thought that win should have went to Monster at Adventureland. Not only was it reliable to open the whole season but that ride is OMFG crazy!

Monster is an incredible ride. With the last several additions, they've made a big jump in quality.

Hard to vote against the first launched wooden coaster though. That's a major advance in technology.

My family and I will be taking our first trip ever to Dollywood in March on opening day March 18th, what kind of crowds can we expect if anyone is familiar with that? Is it packed due to being opening day or is it somewhat quiet due to being March? Also I haven't really been following the park until recent but does anyone know the status of Lightning Rod? Is it finally fixed and fully operational or is it still having issues that plagued it last year?

Cool, we're planning on heading down that day also. I would say that as of now you should go in to any Dollywood trip expecting Lightning Rod to be closed. If that turns out to be the case then you'll have a great time anyway, if it opens up then that's really just a bonus.

The park as a whole is spectacular, Tennessee Tornado is the best Arrow looper ever built and is an all around great ride, Firechaser is a ton of fun, Wild Eagle is great, Thunderhead is an awesome ride that's getting a lot of track work done this winter (even though I didn't think it was running poorly to begin with) and Mystery Mine is complete awesomeness all around. Plus if you throw in the Cinnamon Bread and Pit Ham at Lillian's, even without Lightning Rod it's a great park.

To chime in on TT-gate. Pete said at, a coaster event, That it was to be a longer layout but due to budgets it was shorten. It was, allegedly, to make a left turn after the iron butterfly but made a right instead.

I wonder if the fact that they were on such a tight budget was the reason they went with Arrow when most other parks at that time were going with B&M for their steel looping coasters. By 1999 it had been about 6 years since the last Arrow looper opened in America (Canyon Blaster at the Adventuredome). According to RCDB, the coaster cost them a mere $8,000,000 while in the same year, Medusa at Great Adventure opened at a cost of $15,000,000 so this was very likely the case.

If budget concerns are what led them to go to Arrow then they turned out to be more of a blessing than a curse even if it did lead to a shorter ride layout. I don't say this often but thank god they went with Arrow and not B&M for Tennessee Tornado.

^It has way more character because of it. Arrow's odd (but still smooth) transitions from that period are perfect for TT, especially with the location it's in. It really feels like a crazy redneck coaster in the woods!

It's a shame that Arrow went bankrupt not long after Tennessee Tornado opened

Just to strike up some random off-season conversation, what coaster do we realistically see Dollywood getting as their next one? My guess is a B&M invert, the last two major coasters have no inversions and i think after the LR issues the next choice will be something known for reliability. They could easily give it a 200+ft drop making it the worlds first inverted hyper satisfying the need to break a record as they typically want to do, it would most likely break the invert speed record as well. That's my opinion anyway, what does everyone else think?

I'm thinking/hoping for either a terrained B&M flyer, or a terrained B&M Dive Machine.

Or a B&M hyper that uses the terrain, that would be my vote. But I could see a flyer or a dive machine since they already have an airtime coaster with LR.

This park doesn't really need a new coaster anytime soon. Then again they don't really need anything (except a new alcohol policy). Dollywood is pretty much perfect already.

Usually Coasterbill I agree with you as your normally the voice of reason on some treads. But not on this. No No. every park needs an invert. Then Dollywood would be perfect

Then again they don't really need anything (except a new alcohol policy). Dollywood is pretty much perfect already.

I'm perfectly fine with the current alcohol policy.

Too many can't handle alcohol properly and the vibe there would change for the worse.

I'll just wait til I'm back in my room for the day for a drink or two while I unwind.

Too many can't handle alcohol properly and the vibe there would change for the worse.

Would somebody please think of the children????

Seriously I've heard this argument time and time again whenever parks change their alcohol policies and I've never once seen anyone drunk at a theme park outside of a Halloween event (something that Dollywood doesn't have). I'm sure it happens, but I've never seen it. Everyone lost their collective sh*t when they brought alcohol to the Magic Kingdom and guess what? The world didn't end. The vibe didn't change. Everything is fine. Aside from a few Halloween events (which always bring out sh*t crowds) this is almost never an issue at any park anywhere. Hell, Busch Gardens Williamsburg has some of the nicest clientele of any park I've been to and they keep the alcohol flowing nonstop. We saw people walking around with bottles of wine drinking straight out of the bottle, but nobody was belligerent, nobody was being an a**hole, everything was fine.

People don't go to theme parks to drink (except maybe Epcot and BGW), but it's nice to be able to get a few beers throughout the course of the day. There are tons of parks where people can drink, in many cases they can even walk around with their drinks and bring them into queue lines and everything is fine. Nobody goes to a park to get drunk on $12 bottles of American piss beer and $15 wine / mixed drinks.

Dollywood would make a killing if they brought in some local distilleries and sold some drinks made with local Moonshine / Whiskey/ Craft Beer (sort of like Trail Tavern at Cedar Point). Like most parks, they could have a one drink per person policy and cut people off if it was ever an issue. People would bitch, but they'd get over it and the vibe of the park wouldn't change a bit. I can't think of a single example of a park that's "vibe" was ruined because they started selling alcohol. I'm really sick of this argument because I can't think of a single example of this ever happening.

Seriously I've heard this argument time and time again whenever parks change their alcohol policies and I've never once seen anyone drunk at a theme park outside of a Halloween event (something that Dollywood doesn't have). I'm sure it happens, but I've never seen it. Everyone lost their collective sh*t when they brought alcohol to the Magic Kingdom and guess what? The world didn't end. The vibe didn't change. Everything is fine. Aside from a few Halloween events (which always bring out sh*t crowds) this is almost never an issue at any park anywhere. Hell, Busch Gardens Williamsburg has some of the nicest clientele of any park I've been to and they keep the alcohol flowing nonstop. We saw people walking around with bottles of wine drinking straight out of the bottle, but nobody was belligerent, nobody was being an a**hole, everything was fine.

People don't go to theme parks to drink (except maybe Epcot and BGW), but it's nice to be able to get a few beers throughout the course of the day. There are tons of parks where people can drink, in many cases they can even walk around with their drinks and bring them into queue lines and everything is fine. Nobody goes to a park to get drunk on $12 bottles of American piss beer and $15 wine / mixed drinks.

Dollywood would make a killing if they brought in some local distilleries and sold some drinks made with local Moonshine / Whiskey/ Craft Beer (sort of like Trail Tavern at Cedar Point). Like most parks, they could have a one drink per person policy and cut people off if it was ever an issue. People would bitch, but they'd get over it and the vibe of the park wouldn't change a bit. I can't think of a single example of a park that's "vibe" was ruined because they started selling alcohol. I'm really sick of this argument because I can't think of a single example of this ever happening.

Quoted for Truth. That's one reason why I love SeaWorld parks!

Unfortunately, I could see that Dollywood might get backlash for going against the weird Baptist Tennessee stigma against alcohol. Although I know the local moonshine places are mildly successful, so maybe there's hope?

I could see that Dollywood might get backlash for going against the weird Baptist Tennessee stigma against alcohol

Oh they totally would, but it would be ridiculous since Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg both have huge nightlife / bar scenes. Hell, Pigeon Forge just opened up a Margaritaville hotel. Yes... a Margaritaville HOTEL which is in the same complex with Ole Smoky Moonshine, Bootleggers Winery, Margaritaville (obviously), Changes in Latitude Bar, Dick’s Last Resort, Dudes Daiquiris and a bunch of other restaurants that serve alcohol.

Gatlinburg was (up until recently) famous for free moonshine, and even know you can get hammered on moonshine samplers for ridiculously low prices all over the town. Tennessee is the go-to place for American moonshine and whiskey so I fully expect Dollywood to hop on the bandwagon eventually.

Seriously...kill the vibe? I like to drink, but unless I am at a beer or wine festival, I usually only have 3-4 beers at a park per day because of how expensive they are.

There is nothing better than sipping an ice cold beer on a ridiculously hot day while just chilling out and people watching. It was 95 when we were at Dollywood once and I would have probably paid $20 for one 12 oz beer - but instead had to settle for a $3-4 bottle of water instead (I very rarely drink soda).

I could see that Dollywood might get backlash for going against the weird Baptist Tennessee stigma against alcohol

Oh they totally would, but it would be ridiculous since Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg both have huge nightlife / bar scenes. Hell, Pigeon Forge just opened up a Margaritaville hotel. Yes... a Margaritaville HOTEL which is in the same complex with Ole Smoky Moonshine, Bootleggers Winery, Margaritaville (obviously), Changes in Latitude Bar, Dick’s Last Resort, Dudes Daiquiris and a bunch of other restaurants that serve alcohol.

Gatlinburg was (up until recently) famous for free moonshine, and even know you can get hammered on moonshine samplers for ridiculously low prices all over the town. Tennessee is the go-to place for American moonshine and whiskey so I fully expect Dollywood to hop on the bandwagon eventually.

And they are building a Margaritaville in Gatlinburg but remember, these Margaritavilles are a little different than most.. Due to local rules, they can't leave liquor or drink mixes in the room like most Margaritavilles.. You have to bring it or buy it (from the hotel bar). All the rooms have are the machines.. Actually, if you look at Yelp or Trip Advisor this is the biggest complaint about Margaritaville. People expect the liquor to be in their room with the machines but not allowed (at least that is what the hotel claims)

I think this page here is the main reason this will probably never happen at Dollywood

http://www.dollywood.com/about-us/mission-and-core-values

I don't drink but at the same time it wouldn't bother me if Dollywood allowed it but regulated it like SFOG or Magic Kingdom.. Both parks it can be purchased at a very few select locations (4 or 5 locations at Magic Kingdom and 2 at SixFlags over GA) and it's not allowed to leave that restaurant.. This allows both safe and fun consumption of Alcohol for those who want it and limits the accidental "drunkin fight on the street"

The only issue it was causing at Magic Kingdom when I was there early Jan was people getting upset because they waited in line for a beer only to find out it was only available at a few locations and a lot of folks fussed about not being able to leave with it

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by dstephe9

Gatlinburg was (up until recently) famous for free moonshine, and even know you can get hammered on moonshine samplers for ridiculously low prices all over the town.

Voluntary fee before the city forced it (or shut it down completely) because of the problems it was causing.

Likely to occur in PF before long. I expect Wears Valley to hold out much longer.

I can't comment on effects at Theme Parks, but I have seen the results in other venues and adding alcohol often is detrimental. Not every place has to serve alcohol. I'm sure many would like for Taco Bell to sell margaritas too, or beer at burger joints.

Beyond that though, alcohol in the summer heat isn't a good mix anyway. I've seen lots of dehydration cases due mainly to alcohol consumption. I wish parks offered more non-soda options.

I live in a dry county and a town that consistently votes dry in wet/dry votes. Yet my house is well stocked.

I enjoy cocktails before meals, and wine with meals. But adding it to a theme park is just not necessary. Yes I enjoyed the drinks at Disney/Epcot, especially the tequila, but not having them wouldn't have made the experience bad.

For that matter, prior to 2016 when they started bag checks and crap, you could have brought in what ever you wanted.