TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P. 60: Emperor POV posted!

I just watched another Emperor POV and I'm mad all over again.  Who the heck decided that the ride experience for the penguin coaster was going to be "zooming around a giant pile of gravel"?  Just a little bit of theming work would have made such a strong impact.  Some rock work with "snow" like on the walls of their animal habitats, and a little water feature (maybe at the bottom of the drop, so you dive into it).  Hell, even just making some of the gravel blue to suggest the idea of water.

It's such a massive downgrade in presentation from what we've seen Sea World be capable of.

18 hours ago, CedarFlags said:

It's such a massive downgrade in presentation from what we've seen Sea World be capable of.

Electric Eel. Journey To Atlantis (San Diego). Steel Eel. Great White. Texas Stingray. Ice Breaker.  All of these are coasters plopped onto dirt, grass, or gravel. 

I think you're nostalgic for late-90s/early-00s Orlando SeaWorld.  That's when the original JTA and Kraken showed up and they're easily the most heavily-themed SeaWorld coasters chain-wide.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KBrylczyk said:

Electric Eel. Journey To Atlantis (San Diego). Steel Eel. Great White. Texas Stingray. Ice Breaker.  All of these are coasters plopped onto dirt, grass, or gravel. 

I think you're nostalgic for late-90s/early-00s Orlando SeaWorld.  That's when the original JTA and Kraken showed up and they're easily the most heavily-themed SeaWorld coasters chain-wide.

I'm just thinking even San Diego's Manta.  It doesn't have a lot, but it has SOMETHING.

• 1 month later...

Intamin track is now on site at SWSD! According to recent reports land clearing is under way as well. Another family launched ride on the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Animal said:

Intamin track is now on site at SWSD! According to recent reports land clearing is under way as well. Another family launched ride on the way.

Do you have any evidence other than your words?

It's crazy that San Diego and Williamsburg are getting new indoor family attractions next year when the park that needs an indoor family attraction the absolute most is Orlando lol. I'm mean I'm not complaining about a new prototype B&M especially since both my kids are over 54 inches now but dawg, it get HOT in Florida. Something indoors would be nice.

On 5/18/2022 at 3:29 PM, CedarFlags said:

I just watched another Emperor POV and I'm mad all over again. 

I can't imagine actually being angry about this kind of stuff.

1 hour ago, Hilltopper39 said:

It's crazy that San Diego and Williamsburg are getting new indoor family attractions next year when the park that needs an indoor family attraction the absolute most is Orlando lol. I'm mean I'm not complaining about a new prototype B&M especially since both my kids are over 54 inches now but dawg, it get HOT in Florida. Something indoors would be nice.

They have a rapids ride whose sole purpose is to drown you, bro.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, boldikus said:

I can't imagine actually being angry about this kind of stuff.

They have a rapids ride whose sole purpose is to drown you, bro.

That's the front seat of Journey's job....

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 1:25 PM, Hilltopper39 said:

That's the front seat of Journey's job....

Does it still submerge?  I saw a POV from a year or two ago and the boat didn't make a large splash anymore on that dinky little hill.  I remember it used to literally go underwater and the boat turned into a pool.

2 hours ago, KBrylczyk said:

Does it still submerge?  I saw a POV from a year or two ago and the boat didn't make a large splash anymore on that dinky little hill.  I remember it used to literally go underwater and the boat turned into a pool.

It doesn't like totally submerge you as far as I remember but it sends a solid wall of water down that bend that pretty much dumps over the front of the boat onto everyone in the front row, then drains to the back row on the lift so you feet stay submerged in the back row lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Thinking about going to SW for a day in a few weeks. What's the story with Tidal Surge being closed, and should I care?? I enjoy Manta and Emperor seems to be a nice addition.

On 7/30/2022 at 8:49 PM, coasternut said:

Thinking about going to SW for a day in a few weeks. What's the story with Tidal Surge being closed, and should I care?? I enjoy Manta and Emperor seems to be a nice addition.

You mean Tidal Twister? It's pretty objectively a bad ride (slow, boring, loud, and rattly) and nothing you should be concerned about missing. I've been there twice within the past year, both times it's been closed, and I don't feel particularly heartbroken about it. Emperor is short but pretty fun, and worth a visit if you're in the area.

• Like 1