TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Battle of the top coaster designers  

1,050 members have voted

1. 1. Battle of the top coaster designers

• Intamin
    • B&M

Intamin, all the way.

They're original, innovative, inventive and never scared of pushing the boundaries of what would be considered rediculous in order to move the industry on a notch. When Screamscape started posting the curiously extreme details of TopThrillDragster before it was announced, hardly anyone would beleive it. But to our surprise, there was Intamin, going all out again!

Their rides are strong and powerful, and the forces feel wild and unpredictable as opposed to the controlled, limited forces of a typical BaM.

I find I can literally watch one of Robb's POVs of a BaM ride and already know what it's like to ride.

As for some of their rides being a bit gritty- I always liked to think of it like this: If Intamin's creative and design team were as monotonous and boring as BaM's, they would also have the time to fine tune every needless little aspect of their products.

Cerberus

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ They bult all the Giga'a and all the Strata's. Since you say 1 giga, ill name two- Milleneum Force, Goliath(Walibi World)

And you named 2 stratas so ill name 3, Xcelerator, TTD, Kingda Ka

Overall, i didnt choose either, because both rides will be different. Wheres the option for Vekoma!? They have the 3 best rollercoasters in the world! Deja Vu, Deja Vu, and Deja Vu. But other than that they suck ass.

^ They bult all the Giga'a and all the Strata's. Since you say 1 giga, ill name two- Milleneum Force, Goliath(Walibi World)

And you named 2 stratas so ill name 3, Xcelerator, TTD, Kingda Ka

Overall, i didnt choose either, because both rides will be different. Wheres the option for Vekoma!? They have the 3 best rollercoasters in the world! Deja Vu, Deja Vu, and Deja Vu. But other than that they suck ass.

Gigacoaster: Coaster over 300ft tall (Millenium Force is the only one operating)

Stratacoaster: Coaster over 400ft tall (TTD and KK)

Goliath @ Walibi World is 'only' 150ft tall and Xcelerator is 205ft tall.

I think "giga" and "strata" is just Intamin's names for those models and not a coaster that is taller than # feet

Intamn calls the under 300' tall coasters "mega", with MF being the lone "giga". The term "strata" is reserved for the 400'+ coasters. Intamin dubs all of the hydraulic launch coasters "accelerators."

I'm personally a fan of B&M, mostly because I love their trains. Intamin definately has them beat when it comes to the OTSRs, but I'll take B&M's clamshell to Intamin's T-bar anyday. Also, I like the open air feel of B&M's hypers better than the feeling that Intamin's trains give you. They both are nice, but the ability to stick my feet out on a Beemer is the extra edge that I crave.

imma gonna hafta go with B&M. Not a huge fan of the giga/stratas and rides like TTD and KK seem to just be lacking in anything other than numbers. B&M seems to put together an overally total package and use some innovative concepts... who cant love the B&M flyers.

They both have great coasters but i'd have to say Intamin because of all the record breakers they have. B&M comes really close though. It was a hard choice.

^^BTW, not true. Its all the company that designs the coaster in my opinion. Who thought of all those great layouts that B&M and Intamin both have?

--Gaven

I have to go with Intamin. They have made some pretty innovative coasters lately. (completely ignoring KK & Stealth) But othan those I feel that Intamin has the advantage over B&M. Espeacially hyper coasters, I'm more of an ejector airtime guy and Intamin does that for me. I still love B&M cause they have that lovely almost euphoric floater air. But I adore our of control thigh banging ejector.

• 2 months later...

well I think that ever since 2000 B&M have gone down hill as far as thrilling and wild coasters go...their coasters are still fun and smooth but not thrilling.

Some B&M's have aged really well like Raptor...just seems to get faster every year...but B&M put a cold stop to that happening with any new coaster with the trims installed every 500 feet. So even though Intamins have a bad luck safety record. I think Intamins are much more thrilling.

JEFF

We talk about coaster DESIGNERS and don't mention Miller, Trevor, Schmeck, Schwarzkopf, Stengel etc.?!?!?!

As far as those two MANUFACTURERS go... I'd give it a even, since both deliver mostly fantastic rides in their departement and offer what hey promise...

Intamin is better at non-looping stuff. (S:ROS and S:ROS totally beat out Raging Bull)

B&M does really good looping coasters (B:TR is a favorite of mine)....and their coasters generally look better too....B&M's are probably the best looking coasters in the world today.

Probably a tie.

• 1 month later...

It's a tough choice, but I'd have to say B&M. I mean not only do their coasters look great, but provide a SUPER ride.

Plus, they are major pioneers. I'm pretty sure they invented flying coasters, and floorless, and of course dive machines. The overall ride is very smooth, but very fun. A coaster doesn't have to have a maddeningly insane launch to be great. Like it was said earlier, B&M is about what happens once gravity takes over, Intamin is about overtaking gravity.

Whoever says things about 'forceless B&Ms' is really mistaken. There's Batman the Ride, and of course Tatsu, that's just off the top of my head. Oh yeah, and that final corkscrew on Riddler's Revenge - uber tight.

Though I do gotta give Intamin props for that whole Superman the Escape (magic mountain). Dang that's incredible.