1,050 members have voted

1. 1. Battle of the top coaster designers

• Intamin
    • B&M

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, hyper, mega and giga are just the companies terms for their coaster types, like TTD, it's not a freakin "strata" who ever made that up It's an Intamin accelerator. The height term are just something that some enthusiasts has made up and started to use, and I find it extremely annoying when people call any 200+ ft coaster a "hyper coaster"

For me, B&M hands down. They are absolutely SUPER smooth. I'd never ridden a coaster so smooth. I felt like I was riding on air!. Intamin layouts are kewl but I got thrown around a lot on the Intamins. I think Hydra will be great. Why should every coaster be the same as another park has. We already have 2 Medusas. Look at Superman the Krypton Coaster...it looks tame to me but riding it is a WHOLE 'nuther story! That first drop--whew! FAST! That second drop--HUMDINGER! Plus the layout was very unique which I liked. I get tired of going to a park & seeing boomerang after boomerang or "Kong" clones (I know they are Vekomas & not the subject here, just used them as a reference). I like the Georgia Scorcher--my personal favorite so far. It's a rather short ride--in height & length but it's a good ride nonetheless. Why does every coaster "have to be the biggest, tallest or fastest" to be a good ride? To me, I'm just glad to be able to ride a coaster, to have the priviledge of it. Thanx for listening.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I haven't really been on an Intamin yet, but after experiencing a few B&Ms, I cannot imagine any coaster smoother than one. Therefore, I voted for B&M... Plus, does Intamin have flying coasters like Tatsu? Nope (at least I don't think!). Flying coasters are awesome.

Well, I haven't really been on an Intamin yet, but after experiencing a few B&Ms, I cannot imagine any coaster smoother than one. Therefore, I voted for B&M... Plus, does Intamin have flying coasters like Tatsu? Nope (at least I don't think!). Flying coasters are awesome.

If you want smooth, you need to ride El Toro.

No, hyper, mega and giga are just the companies terms for their coaster types, like TTD, it's not a freakin "strata" who ever made that up It's an Intamin accelerator. The height term are just something that some enthusiasts has made up and started to use, and I find it extremely annoying when people call any 200+ ft coaster a "hyper coaster"

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, didn't CP coin "hyper coaster" to get publicity for Magnum?

Maybe this has already been addressed, but if I'm going to vote for the best coaster designer ever, I need to have CCI/Gravity Group for a choice.

^ And when you think about it, the inverted coaster was basically a floorless looping version of Arrow's suspended coaster.

Obviously they took that idea and made it a *LOT* better, but it wasn't the first time you saw a coaster hanging from the track above.

--Robb

I forgot all about this debate, until someone made a recent post..lol

To comment even further on the Arrow coaster. Ron Toomer had stated in an interview a few years ago and they (Arrow) were in fact trying to develop a suspended coaster to perform an inversion (even explore it on BBW!!). But Arrow just couldn't engineer it to what they had hoped (especially the way the inertia kept dropping off as a suspended coach/train would perform the inversion; to bad they couldn't figure how to make the chassis more rigid and perhaps still incorporate the 'swinging' motion).

From this (according to some analysts), Arrow began its development into their "Pipeline" coaster. Most here will say that was completely different and it IS, but the general premise behind the idea of Pipeline was to create a new carrier system that would eventually help get away from their current (at the time) bogey system and develop a new one to help a suspended coaster perform an inversion(s). Dal Freemen (now at Lagoon park in Utah-I believe) had a group of engineers examining new metal-materials and tried to design new bogey systems to alleviate some of the "roughness" on typical Arrow rides. Ok, that ends that talk.

I actually prefer BOTH mfg. Intamin creativity and B&M precision and ability to harness the heartline design. I also would add that poster-member "REAL" is dead on regarding Intamin's safety record.

**Page 3 post: http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=815&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Intamin had nothing to do with those incidents and in fact was the first on the scene to help the park(s) to incorporate modifications to the related rides.

Another note to back up most people's observations here, look at the Mission Statements from both companies:

Intamin: http://www.intaminworldwide.com/i_who.htm

B&M: http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com/company/company_en.aspx

I just came back from SFMM and all the B&M's there make my head hurt, now doesn't that tell me something...?

Yeah, it should tell you that the B&M's at SFMM hurt you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know why people come up with B&M's being rough. I've yet to come across a significantly rough one. Those people take the oldest B&M's and say they're rough, when some/most rollercoasters get rough with time.

Believe it or not, Intamin coasters can get rough too. Their coasters aren't impervious to time.

Although i can rely on B&M to produce and reproduce nice, massive, smooth(certain degree) coasters, I would choose Intamin. Partly, because of the variety of rides/attractions they can produce and how they utilize varied sources of technology in innovative/creative ways.

Still B&M for me, there's too many to choose from. Also they are smooth, creative and great to look at as well to ride. Intamin's are fun also, but all I keep hearing about is Intamin Rockets this, Intamin Rockets that. Even if they do change the layout for a different park, the concept to me ←(keywords) got boring...real quick.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd have to say B&M... they're both smooth... they both have crazy elements... B&M coasters look sexier

Plus beemers are a lot more reliable and Walter and Claude use a lot of different elements in their rides.

XD

B&M is a definite. I have only been on one B&M, and one Intamin in my life (sadly), and I say B&M wins the prize. Intamin I say is trying to be the biggest company out there. And here comes these coasters by Intamin that are over some crazy 300 feet. Kind of pushy I would say. But B&M (as I have heard, they do not build anything over 300 feet) on the other hand, would say "Take it easy. Give them what they want".

That's how I would summarize it.