1,050 members have voted

1. 1. Battle of the top coaster designers

• Intamin
    • B&M

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer intamin because they build the most intense roller coasters. When I'm looking for a top 10 roller coaster, I'm looking for tons of ejector air and near-blackout +g's, fun and fresh layouts, and a fun ride. Intamin always delivers. Kinda Ka and TTD are probably the most intense roller coasters on the planet, 4 of the top 5 wooden roller coasters are Intamin, the top 2 steel roller coasters are intamin... see a pattern here.

I still love B&M for some of their great inverts (Alpie, Top Gun, etc), but they really don't have any ground breaking or extreme roller coasters. They're nothing to brag about.

I would like to change my vote for B&M to Intamin. After riding more B&M's and Intamin's, I prefer Intamin more. Their coasters are way more intense and when you get off you say that was the best coaster ever. They may not be as reliable but i'll take a better ride over reliability. Also, when you go to a park and you see Intamin track you know it's going to be a great ride.

I'm gonna be boring and say they're even, but for different reasons.

B&M: Innovative always trying new concepts that pay off and look as great as they ride (It's hard not to watch a dive machine car topple). Great reliability, great riders per hour and like Intamin, really smooth.

Intamin: Willing to break records but not design. As a different way of phrasing, if they were chefs they'd bake bigger cakes but wouldn't change the recipe, not that it's flawed. They're just not as experimental, although the ball coasters might mean this can change. Really smooth, good reliability, not so much with their launches, which may be why B&M stay away from that area. Intamin gain a lot of extra points for building rides that aren't coasters too. Their flat rides are second to none, their Giant Drops, Gyro Swings and Mega Splashes are equally awesome.

^I don't really understand how Intamin isn't as experimental when they're currently marketing 17 different coaster types:

http://www.intaminworldwide.com/iag/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=22&Itemid=32

While B&M is only marketing 7 different coaster types:

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com/products/products_en.aspx

I think most people would consider B&M to be the more conservative firm.

^I agree. You can fill up a park with nothing but Intamin rides and no two rides would be alike. B&M on the other hand...I'm still not fully convinced that inverts and floorless trains create different rides. B&M isn't going to turn any heads until they build something with a launch, i mean with a launch they actually build themselves.

^ I think B&M have been plenty innovative, in their own time. Of course they really don't need anything else in their arsenal yet as what they have is what most parks aspire to be able to afford.

Intamin on the other hand has yet to create a ride with the impact of the B&M inverted, where every park wants one.

As for ridng however, I agree that's Intamins take the cake for intensity and creativity. They are tops with the enthusiats crowds that's for sure.

I personally call a draw. It just depends on what I'm looking for in a ride. If I want insane air and intensity, Intamin/Stengal does that brilliantly. I actually like the pre-fabs MUCH more than the hypers (which are slightly overrated imo).

The fun factor though, belongs to B&M. Apollo's Chariot, Fire Dragon and Nitro may not be as intense, but I can ride them all day long and NEVER tire of them.

I don't really understand how Intamin isn't as experimental when they're currently marketing 17 different coaster types

It just seems to me that Intamin's coaster types aren't for the most part, all that different. Hypers and Gigas are different coasters and I'll give you that, but like I said they're not really changing anything except for height and scale. Their Launched coasters main difference is car design, (except of course their "accelerator coasters"). They have a great selection of coasters, the World still needs more complete circuit Intamin suspended coasters.

I just really have more faith in B&M's ingenuity. It took a lot of research and dedication to come up with the Inverted Coaster and the Dive Machine. They had to redesign track structure and trains for both ideas. They both do have lots of designs but B&M's are really quite different to each other, whereas Intamin's can be similar with some small difference or gimmick added on. That's just my opinion anyway.

The best coaster i've been on yet was Silver Star, thats why I vote for B&M! I thought the airtime from Silver Star throwed me out, though it's impossible. But it's many years ago (2003 or 2004); I wan't to go on it again, to find out if it is still the same today.

I'm going to have to say Intamin. My absolute top rides are from Intamin, and although I love B&M, their newer rides have gotten that nasty rattle.

Now keep in mind I haven't ridden their new hypers, so maybe that would change my opinion.

But hey, it's not like either company is bad.

• 2 months later...

Prior to my Ohio trip, I liked B&M better, but now I have to say Intamin.

Both manufacturers have coasters that made my Top 10 Steel, but for me, B&M loses out because most of their inverts and floorless coasters provide a pretty similar experience (with the exception of a few really notable ones like SKC, Dueling Dragons, and presumably ShieKra/Griffon - haven't ridden those though) and they also have built a number of overrated and/or nausea-inducing coasters, namely the stand-ups.

Intamin has more rides that really stand out in my mind (TTD, MF, Maverick, and California Screamin', to name a few) and they just have a LOT more types of coaster to offer - for example, the ball coaster in Spain shouldn't knock anything too high off my list, but it is something I'm really looking forward to if I'm able to make the ACE Spain Trip in 2009.

• 3 months later...

At first Id say B&M, their smoothness just keeps surprising me. Ofcourse you would have to take into consideration that I haven't been on TTD or Fahrenheit, 2 major Intamin rides, which could tip the scale in favor of intamin.

Maybe their to different to compare? Just 2 amazing manufacturers.

I chose B&M. My #1 is a B&M, #2 and #3 are Intamins, and the rest is a lot of B&M's. Intamin's give you that scary, freaky, outta control ride, and that rush after. Most of the time that's what you want on a roller coaster, but I chose B&M. My reason would be that, B&M's are just much more nice and peaceful and fun, while on Intamin's you're so scared and freaked out, you can't even think on it. Sure, after it's great, but I like B&M's more.

For Example, Tatsu, Riddler's, Silver Bullet, Medusa, and Scream, are just plain fun. Loop after loop, hang-time, long "in length", twists, turns, ect. Intamin's like, V2 or Xcelerator are super quick, dizzying, and freaky. Now, I LOVE that feeling, but I just think that B&M's give a better ride overall.

I have to say B&M over Intamin. Even though Intamin builds amazing hypers & woodies, thats about it for them. B&M builds a wide variety of coasters & they are almost all awesome. Their inverted, dive machines, stand ups, sit downs, flying, floorless, & hypers (let me no if I missed any ) are so well designed. I chose B&M because of their hyper designs. Behemoth, Nitro, & Apollo's Chariot are packed with airtime which is my favorite part of riding a roller coaster. B&M>Intamin.

I have to say B&M over Intamin. Even though Intamin builds amazing hypers & woodies, thats about it for them. B&M builds a wide variety of coasters & they are almost all awesome. Their inverted, dive machines, stand ups, sit downs, flying, floorless, & hypers (let me no if I missed any ) are so well designed. I chose B&M because of their hyper designs. Behemoth, Nitro, & Apollo's Chariot are packed with airtime which is my favorite part of riding a roller coaster. B&M>Intamin.

I like how you prefer B&M because of their airtime coasters, and then "fault" (for lack of a better word) Intamin when their 3 trademark designs (hyper, woodie, and most accelerators) are generally thought of to produce the most airtime on the planet.

I'm not trying to discount your opinion (it's an opinion, it can't be wrong), it was just an interesting observation. I wish Intamin inverts were more abundant than just the two in Europe. Actually, I'd like to see more of a lot of Intamin's designs...the aquatrax, the "terra"-coaster, the vertical lift multi-looper...

From what little personal experience I have, I prefer Intamin, though I haven't been on enough of either to vote. I need to get around more.

^Yeah I chose B&M mostly because of their wide selection. However I love El Toro & Millennium Force is my favorite coaster of all time You are right about Intamin mastering hypers, woodies, & rocket coasters however another reason for me choosing B&M is the restraint differences. For example the Intamin rocket, hyper, & woodie restraints are pushed down so tight where as B&M restraints give you that loosely feeling especially on the hypers.

I chose Intamin because they they're truly innovative, and they really push the limits. B&M made innovative models like the inverted, flying and floorless, but theirs just something about all their rides that are just sort of generic to B&M. They have great rides and it’s true that some are better than others, but you’re never going to see something like a magnetic launch or a vertical lift hill on a B&M.

Intamin isn't afraid to make new coasters and models that risk not being perfect like B&Ms have to be. They take risks that sometimes turn out amazing or sometimes don't work well, and if they fail, they're just going to learn from their mistakes and progress faster than if they didn’t try at all.

B&M and Intamin are both amazing companies and each make great rides. It’s just that Intamin takes their ideas further than B&M and that really pays off when they come out with a mind-blowing, world class coaster instead of a bunch of great, but similar rides.

Intamin wins all the way for me! First off based off mitch hawker's poll, Intamins have the top spots, and many close to the tops. They have new innovations every where from a zacspin, half pipe, vertical lifts, and beyond 90 degree drops. Intamins are also very intense, for example Maverick is one of the most intense rides I've been on. Yes B&M is a great company and have made many great coasters, but they don't push the envelope. Even other companies like Vekoma are creating more and more innovations while it seems like B&M sticks with what they got. But what they got is good. Anyway Intamin is the clear winner.