1,050 members have voted

1. 1. Battle of the top coaster designers

• Intamin
    • B&M

• Replies 550
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't have time to read the entire topic but aren't B&M and Intamin the manufacturers.

Nevertheless, my vote goes to Intamin. I think B&M puts out rides that are predictable in most cases but insanely fun. Uniques one like Incredible Hulk and Dueling Dragons are always a plus.

But I think Intamin puts out rides that are not only insanely fun, but also creative and unpredictable.

To me, both offer very smooth rides as well.

To me, both offer very smooth rides as well.

This is because both companies have nearly identical wheel assemblies with the guide wheels sitting outside of the track vs. Vekoma/Arrow sitting this wheel on the inside of the track. Also, all three sets of wheels have contact with the track at all times. See following pictures:

ZZZzzzZZZ2.JPG.33894f41595c1b3877bd2e3315fe1752.JPG

Intamin Wheel assemblies

ZZZzzzZZZ1.JPG.181b6200405554564c2f7d84f11af64a.JPG

B&M Wheel assemblies

Considering 3 of my top 5 coasters are Intamin (Millennium Force, Maverick, California Screamin' with Space Mountain De La Terre A La Lune RIP and Raging Bull the two odd ones out), I'll go with Intamin. Intamin coasters all feel like different experiences where B&Ms all feel like someone copied and pasted various elements into a different order. That's not saying the rides are bad. They just lack originality. Plus B&M produced one of the worst coasters I've ever ridden, Iron Wolf.

Mamma Mia! This is a bit hard for me. Intamin made the tallest, fastest breed of coaster to date. B&M made the flying, stand-up, and hyper coaster. It's like asking weather you'd ride Goliath at SFMM or Millennium Force. Wait, everyone would say MillF! Except for my mom, she'd be Goliath all the way! It's her favorite coaster.

But if it was between the brands that make them, I would say B&M. They make the flyer, they made some good stand-ups, they made good inverts, and they continue to make pretty good hypers. Didn't they make the floorless ones too? And I notice they USUALLY put more catwalks on the lifts, and they do it on both sides, so I feel a bit safer.

I'm very late in this game, but I'd certainly vote for Intamin - for sheer intensity, which is what I look for in coasters. They can just be FEROCIOUS AIR TIME MACHINES!! When you look at what they've produced over the years ... Balder, Expedition GeForce, Superman - Ride Of Steel, El Toro, Goliath ... wow. And I LOVE their LIM/LSM and accelerator coasters...Vertical Velocity et al, Volcano, Top Thrill Dragster, Storm Runner, Atlantis Adventure ... so cool.

I absolutely love B&M coasters, but they do seem to have been playing it a little 'safe' since their hey day with coasters like the Batman rides, Kumba, Raptor, Montu, Hulk, etc. What happened?

I'm very late in this game, but I'd certainly vote for Intamin - for sheer intensity, which is what I look for in coasters. They can just be FEROCIOUS AIR TIME MACHINES!! When you look at what they've produced over the years ... Balder, Expedition GeForce, Superman - Ride Of Steel, El Toro, Goliath ... wow. And I LOVE their LIM/LSM and accelerator coasters...Vertical Velocity et al, Volcano, Top Thrill Dragster, Storm Runner, Atlantis Adventure ... so cool.

I absolutely love B&M coasters, but they do seem to have been playing it a little 'safe' since their hey day with coasters like the Batman rides, Kumba, Raptor, Montu, Hulk, etc. What happened?

I know exacly what your talking about! While my vote still goes for the company, I hope that they get into more intense rides again!

yeah B&M haven't brought out a coaster that is *different* and *new* for ages

^^Millenium Force, 310'.

As stated, MF is a Giga coaster, not a Hyper, but even if it was, that title would then go to Morgan for SD2K at 318'.

As stated previously in this thread, Stengel doesn't design for B&M anymore, but still designs for Intamin.

What happened? Parks started neutering their coasters. So they offered a "softer" alternative that families could enjoy together, and parks jumped on it. I still can't get over how differently rides like Raging Bull, Alpie, Montu and Mantis ride now compared to when they opened. Only Kumba remains untamed.

I agree with you Mattnz on you comments regarding Intamin for the ferocious airtime.

But I also think both manufacturers are exemplars of fine coasters. I'd like to add B&M for their solid line up of different coaster types, fluidity and what I might describe as gracefulness.

It is really hard to choose one company over the other as "being better".

Just personally though I find myself more focused and interested in B&M's for the identifiable coaster types (flyer, hyper, floorless, dive machine etc.) and their aesthetic quality (lol, it sounds funny to say that but it's true).

What happened? Parks started neutering their coasters. So they offered a "softer" alternative that families could enjoy together, and parks jumped on it. I still can't get over how differently rides like Raging Bull, Alpie, Montu and Mantis ride now compared to when they opened. Only Kumba remains untamed.

I think you're right. It seems Cedar Fair and Busch Entertainment in particular like trimming their coasters for "softer" alternatives. This is an annoying trend as B&M coasters look pretty menacing to begin with - I can't imagine trimming coasters helps bring in non-thrillseekers. Do you really think it does?

It seems to me that coasters with a reputation for intensity can just as easily bring in the crowds (and be famous for it - like Nemesis).

Anyway, I would still vote Intamin - but like other people have said, both manufacturers offer exemplars of fine coasters.

^^Millenium Force, 310'.

As stated, MF is a Giga coaster, not a Hyper, but even if it was, that title would then go to Morgan for SD2K at 318'.

I'm pretty sure this thread is called B&M Vs. Intamin not B&M Vs. Intamin Vs. Every other coaster manufacture. The point being he's comparing B&M to Intamin as it is what this whole thread is about.

I'm personally a much bigger fan of Intamin then of B&M as stated many times before, they take bigger risks in their designs (like the fact they had to remove an inversion for pulling to many lateral Gs on one of their designs)

To clear a few things up first:

*Millenium Force opened before SD2000, and I said in my post that MF was the tallest "at time of opening"

*Though it's considered a "giga" coaster, I personally call it a hyper. it's a tomAIto, TomOTTO thing for me.

Back to my input.

Both companies hit more than they miss. If I managed a park, i'd add both as major attractions. B&M will give you a ride that are fun, operator friendly, capacity monsters, mechanically sound, and reliable. Intamin will give you the record breakers, the "park's best", "world's tallest", "fastest" or "steepest". Sure their safety or maintainece track record may not be as impressive as their crosstown rivals, but the company is innovative and a pioneer in the thrill industry. With innovation and a "we do it first" business plan, you're bound to have set backs and blunders. And with B&M, no matter what, you have a ride that is always ready to open on time, run all day, and don't give much trouble. You can't go wrong with either one, but I'd buy two Intamins for every Beemer I bought.

^^Millenium Force, 310'.

I'm pretty sure this thread is called B&M Vs. Intamin not B&M Vs. Intamin Vs. Every other coaster manufacture. The point being he's comparing B&M to Intamin as it is what this whole thread is about.

I realize that. I was just pointing out that he said Intamin had the tallest hyper at the time it was built, which, in my opinion is a strange statement, one in which I don't understand his point.

To clear a few things up first:

*Millenium Force opened before SD2000, and I said in my post that MF was the tallest "at time of opening"

And Magnum, Desperado, and Pepsi Max all opened before Millennium Force, and were all the tallest at the time of their opening...I don't get your point.

And Magnum, Desperado, and Pepsi Max all opened before Millennium Force, and were all the tallest at the time of their opening...I don't get your point.

I believe his point is that B&M has never built a record-breaking hyper.