249 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Good Themed
    • Good Ride

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, the poll itself is phrased slightly differently than the subject title.

Personally, I would usually go with "more theming" over "more track," but it might depend on what exactly that "more theming" and "more track" are. It probably has to be a good ride, though--or, at least, not a bad one--before theming can elevate it terribly much.

I would pick "more theming" over 'more track" but only slightly. What park I am at effects the choice. I expect theming at a Disney or Universal park. However, at Six Flags or Cedar Fair parks, I want thrills.

It also depends on the ride. I'll use 2 Kings island coasters for example. A ride like diamondback is amazing without theme and not sure any theme would help. On the same token, Backlot Stunt Coaster would be just ok without theme but helps a great deal with it.

The biggest problem is when the theme or story is not explained to people. I love the theming of Southwest Territory at SF Great America, it is just not explained to people.

• 2 months later...

I actually prefer theming because it makes the rides more re ridable (Kill me but I'd rather ride Space Mountain 10 times over Goliath [sFMM] 10 times). Although I really havent ridden a truly world class coaster so I can't say if I'd rather take an amazing ride over a themed ride. (I'm pretty much stuck in California)

I like a coaster with a cool name and a 'themed to the name' station, but after that, once I am on the ride- if I need a soundtrack, special effects /video screens or a move tie-in and/or "themeing" to make the ride fun, then it probably really isn't "fun". (See Dark Knight- 6.5 million in housing and theming and a $Half Million wild mouse...Borrrrrring)

I don't want "Makeup" on a coaster, I just want a good coaster.

I prefer a ride with lots of track, but if you can mix both good theming with a great, well-paced ride... well that's great too.

I think TS:TR is a great combination of the two. It's a short ride, but it's not too short where by the end it has you thinking, "that's it?" The theming adds to the ride experience, but even if it didn't have the theming, it would probably still be a solid ride. It's a nice balance between quality ride and quality theming.

However like others have said, it really depends on the ride's location/what type of ride it is. You expect more theming from Disney, and you expect more track from Six Flags. In general though, I prefer more track.

It depends. If I'm at a movie themed park and I ride a poorly-themed, but kick-ass ride, then I'd feel let down. In that case I'd prefer a well themed ride.

However, if I'm just at your typical theme park then I would take a kick-ass ride over good theming. But both together would be just excellent.

I am starting to feel that more and more coasters are alike. You go up, drop, turn, invert, etc. To be honest, you can probably do all of those to a MUCH greater level in a good aerobatic airplane. Although, coasters are quite a cheaper alternative. On the other hand, you really can't replicate a Big Thunder Mountain or Space Mountain on any other experience. So please, don't give me another ride, give me an adventure.

Theming has grown on me between my last post and now. I still want a quality thrill ride, but theming can help make the difference between "forgettable" and "memorable" to me. On the day I visited CGA, I honestly liked Flight Deck and Vortex about the same (I know many don't and never did!), but now I like Flight Deck much more. Vortex is just track, track, track, like that's all you see. Flight Deck has a reasonably well done airplane theme and that lovely lake.

• 3 years later...

I usually prefer theming a ride. One great example of this is, of course, Space Mountain. The theming is EVERYTHING for that attraction, as well as many others. Many mine trains would not be as enjoyable without their terrain or theming.

It's really a preference thing, but I think most people really do love theming.

Theming adds a lot to an otherwise average ride. Think Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland, without any theming it would be pretty lame. Scooby-Doo at Movieworld would just be a stock-standard wild mouse.

But then there's Goofy's Sky School...

I don't think I've ridden a *roller coaster* that was greatly enhanced by theming. If they were, I might have voted different. The ones somewhat enhanced, such as Verbolten, can be good rides but still proves my point. I do like some theme-based rides, for example Curse of Darkastle, but there the theming is dominant.

I also think coasters make for a more repeatable experience. It makes sense for Disney, as a tourist destination, to create experiences that are unforgettable but are not oriented towards great impact when repeated, but not so much for regional parks.

Of coasters, my favorite "theme" is that of Dominator, which is themed as a huge roller coaster with a big loud sign and nice places to watch which results in people being there below the lift, making it all more apparent how high you are. I don't know if it's by design, but I also appreciate how when you come out of it on the elevated walkway a train is usually coming over the lift with perfect timing for you to watch it from that excellent vantage point. This and other factors make it clear that much attention was given to enhancing the ride in the same manner as "themes" without the theme being about something else. And yes you get a parking lot view but that's the price of making it so you can ride without walking your butt off, and I consider it worth the price. It does degrade the "experience of a lifetime" aspect but helps *my* kind of park experience.

And as far as surroundings go, I don't see any chance that they can contrive something as cool as topping the lift of the Great Nor'easter at night, 100' above the beach and overlooking the ocean.

• 1 month later...
A good theme will automatically take a mediocre ride and turn it into a grade-A world class attraction. Just look at Space Mountain and BTMRR. Without the theming, they're just mediocre, boring rides, but the extensive theme and storyline completely enhance the experience.

I agree with this, but if you have a REALLY bad ride to begin with, you won't end up with a world-class ride. The theming can only do so much.