TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cargo Shorts. Your thoughts?

You couldn't pay me to carry my phone into the park. I avoid it at all costs. If I have to meet up with friends, we agree on a time and place.

I'm going to avoid sounding like an A$$ as much as possible here, but have you ever tried your back pocket? Ever since I've started going to parks more often, I've put my phone in my back pocket, and it stays there unless I'm A) trying to meet up, B) taking touristy pictures, or C) killing time in a long queue. To date, it has fallen out on a coaster precisely 0 times.

So like, sitting on your phone on the ride? Not the best idea when you're putting I don't know many pounds of pressure on the screen. Your weight x 5g's at the bottom of the drop...I did this once on Banshee and my Galaxy cracked for the first time.

Weird. My current phone, a Nokia touchscreen, has endured Banshee countless times in my back pocket. Maybe it depends on the person, pants, or phone, but the thing has gone near damageless on over 40 different credits since I've gotten it.

Edited by larrygator

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cargo shorts make visits worry free and almost a necessity. Although I don't care for the way they look, they're almost a necessity at parks.

As far as the phone argument goes, it now seems like a pointless issue to argue. The basic issue is that it appears that some people prefer to have more technology in their lives and others do not. That's an age old argument. I prefer to stay off of my phone as much as possible. However, Dirk is right. There are obvious benefits to taking advantage of the technology, in and out of parks.

does anybody wear cargo shorts? they're convenient imo.

Only thing I pack when I go on trips to amusement parks. Usually put my phone in the bottom right pocket in my cargo shorts for ride. Always know that the buttons are secure and I press it up against the seat.

You couldn't pay me to carry my phone into the park. I avoid it at all costs. If I have to meet up with friends, we agree on a time and place.

I'm going to avoid sounding like an A$$ as much as possible here, but have you ever tried your back pocket? Ever since I've started going to parks more often, I've put my phone in my back pocket, and it stays there unless I'm A) trying to meet up, B) taking touristy pictures, or C) killing time in a long queue. To date, it has fallen out on a coaster precisely 0 times.

Agree! I have always put my iphone in my back pockets even my front pockets, if they're deep enough, I have never lost my phone on any ride; whether it's a crazy flat that throws you everywhere to coasters that throw you out of your seat or have inversions. I barely wear cargo pants because its just to heavy for my liking.

^Unless you forget to zip, and the coaster is Storm Chaser...

Someone needs to tell the fashion industry to make more women's clothing with functional buttons and zippers that still brings all the boys to the yard.

Looking for fashion is your problem. Look into technical hiking pants... Brands like The North Face, Patagonia, Mountain Hardware, Under Armor, Marmot, etc. In the outdoors world, pockets are needed and integrated into the design. And they're still "Women's" pants. No "shrink it and pink it!" with these brands.

I've found that these kinds of pants (Men's obviously) work great for traveling. They're comfortable, lightweight, breathable, and stain resistant. Pockets are prevalent and functional. The Women's pants are meant to serve the same goals. They won't be $19.99 in most cases ($70-100 MSRP/$35-50 Sale/Clearance price) , but are well worth the investment.

I'm a little late, again, to the discussion... but I'll add that I have never put my phone in my back pocket, and no way I would do that. I'd plop down somewhere and crack it instantly. I'm 6-1/200lbs... No way! If it *MUST* go in the park with me, it's in a velcro/buttoned side cargo pocket. Perhaps even with an extra safety pin to make sure the pocket stays shut. I prefer leaving it locked in the car.

I have to say... I can't bring myself to do cargo pants based on the look. I will say, however, that I've been intent on buying a pair of shorts and a pair of jeans I like and then installing a zipper to the pocket. That way I can still be a little more fashion forward and still get the functionality of the zipper for safe storage. Lol. And I'm not knocking anyone for what they like t wear or feel comfortable in. This is just my personal preference.

Cargo shorts with one zipper pocket, safe to hold a phone, card, and cash.

YES! Actually my favorite cargo shorts have two zippers, one at a back pocket, one on a side pocket.

I forget which park I was at this year, but a ride op had commented on how it was neat I found a pair of women's shorts with deep pockets since most don't have them - probably because I got them in the men's section at a sporting goods store. I've always been more about function over "fashion"(yawn - so I'm not the boring girly girl type, I admit it)

Cargo shorts are among the best inventions of all time.

Why doesn't anyone in SoCal understand this!?!?

They have a fashion sense?

THIS!! Lol

Exactly why I will install my own zipper on a nice pair of shorts myself. It's worth the extra effort to look nice lol

Cargo shorts are among the best inventions of all time.

Why doesn't anyone in SoCal understand this!?!?

They have a fashion sense?

"Fashion sense" is the belief that what a famous person says or does causes clothing made by the very same people in the very same death trap factory in Bangladesh to sell for 5 times as much, none of which will ever go to the people who made it.

Yes, I am from the Midwest. How'd you guess?

One of the blessings of being 43 is not caring what other people think about me.. in my cargo pants/shorts. It's just been this last year that I noticed there was in fact a backlash, and a bunch of back-and-forth hoopla about how cringe-worthy cargo shorts are. Who'd a known!?

If I'm going to make fun of anyone for their clothing, it's got to be the army's of yuppies decked out head-to-toe in The North Face. I wonder how much that company would pay me to advertise for them everywhere I go? It used to be throngs of people wearing CBGB shirts, having no clue what it stood for. But really, it doesn't matter. Heck, I wear Nike shoes. To think, they have been making fun of me for years with my cargo pockets!

Cargo pants/shorts work well for me. I have my wallet (and phone, as long as I'm not INSIDE an amusement park), in one pocket, keys in the other, and my Epi-Pen* in one of the cargo pockets.

*It's a pain to have take everywhere, but there is always a risk of cross-contamination.

Oh yeah, how about that new Meaner Streak opening next spring!?