TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Do You Bother With Water Parks?

Pretty simple question, but I think a good one - do you do water parks? I know of many people who like amusement parks but only really do the dry rides. Of course, I know some people who are opposite and prefer the water rides over dry rides. Do you fall into either of these categories, or do you do both?

I'm not a big water park person, but I will ride wet rides like log flumes. I have occasionally gone on some water park rides, but they never take up the majority of my visit. I usually can't be bothered with the hassle of getting a locker, changed into swim trunks, and then changing back later, unless there is a water park ride at that park which I am really interested in trying out.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've actually grown really fond of water parks. Obviously the dry park and coasters is more important to me but I now try to factor in time to enjoy a water park as long as it seems like a worthwhile water park.

Some of the water park experiences I've had have really enhanced my visit to a park and turned the experience into a lot more than I expected. That's why I always try to find time to check them out.

As for water rides in dry parks, I absolutely love log flumes and the more realistic larger Rapids rides. Don't care for boat chute types unless they are unique.

I really like water parks, not as much as theme parks, but I still visit them a lot!

Last summer when I went to florida I went one day to Aquatica and Wet'n'Wild and I really enjoyed it. And during the offseason I'm visiting indoor water parks here in Switzerland. Actually there is a big one with 11 slides just next to my school!

Water parks are usually plenty of fun, but not something I go out of my way for. I visit the water park at my local park (Valleyfair) once or twice a season when it's hot, but if I'm making a long distance theme park trip, I usually stay in the dry park unless the waterpark has something that really stands out because I'm more of a coaster/flat ride person.

I went almost fifteen years without setting foot inside a water park. The idea never appealed to me. However, when I went on my 2013 park trip and stopped at Holiday World, I figured it'd be a sin to pass up on the chance to at least experience Splashin' Safari while I was there.

SS turned my opinion around. I had a blast while there, so much so I spent a good deal of time in Hurricane Harbor at SFStL the next day as a result. Since then I've gone to SFHH in NJ a few times and definitely see the appeal now, especially to the GP.

I have no interest in the vast majority of water parks but if it's a local, mediocre park (Dorney or SFNE) I can't say no to a good lazy river on a really hot day.

At a higher level dry park like Great Adventure or Hershey or a park I don't get to often I'll never waste time at a water park though. That's why Log Flumes exist...

The only water park I go to is Splashin Safari at HW. I normally spend most of my day there. I've been to other water parks but they all seem lame compared to Splashin Safari. I highly recommend it if you visit HW.

Meh. Every once in a while, but usually only when we go to Holiday World. Even though I'm in good shape I really don't care to stand shirtless in a long line. I love getting sun in the summer around water, but not surrounded by screaming kids. On a hot sunny day I like to get my sun somewhere quiet with a good book and a cold beer near a kid-free pool or beach. Which is why we have 'roller coaster vacations' separate from our 'relaxing vacations.' A day at the water park is mostly a waste for either one of those two types of trips.

We love water parks as a family...but won't go in PEAK season...I really don't want to wait 40 mins or so for a slide that might only take 30 seconds. We do go to the Waterpark at Canada's wonderland each season though because as season pass holders we get early entry. This means we can do a few slides and mess around in the lazy river before everyone it gets too busy.

We did Aquatica in February this year and LOVED it..as it was pretty much walk on everything all day. IHU's breakaway falls had my heart pounding as much as any roller coaster has! The Great Wolf lodge in Niagara falls also has a couple of fun slides which make family trips there enjoyable.

If I'm at a park that has a decent amount of rides, I'll almost always stay in the dry park. If there aren't that much rides or the park has a very good water park like HW, I might spend some time in the water park. One thing I enjoyed about Splashin Safari was that I rode the water coasters in normal dry-park attire.

I agree with others that the water park at HW is probably one of the best in the country. But I have never been to any of the Disney water parks, Schlitterbahn, or Aquatica and would love to check those out someday.

The Busch Gardens water park in Tampa was also a lot of fun...kind of small, but it was very clean, not too crowded and had some really fun attractions.

Water parks can be very hit or miss for us. While we liked the water parks at Hershey, KD, Carowinds and Dorney, the lines are usually always insane and the place is packed with line-jumping, over-enthusiastic unruly teens that end up reducing the enjoyment. And if I see that the changing areas, bathrooms or pools don't look clean, I might choose to just leave and not even bother. We cut our water park visit short at Mt. Olympus because of the unsanitary-looking conditions of their indoor water park.

People tend to bash Soak City at Cedar Point, but we really enjoy it. The "newer" Lazy River that they have with the rapids, waterfalls and dumping buckets is wonderful to simply float around in on a really hot day. Makes you feel kind of bad seeing Magnum passing you by when you know those poor souls probably just waited an hour in line to ride it and were probably dying from the heat whilst in line!

Oh...and the swim-up bar - can't get any better than that. If they just had the Lazy River, wave pool and swim-up bar, we would still visit SC.

Edited by Philrad71

Never been a big fan of waterparks. That doesn't mean that I don't enjoy waterparks, but I usually don't bother with them. I did have a good day at Aquatica when visiting back in 2014. The trapdor slide I didn't really enjoy, generally I'm not really a great fan of fast body slides. However I LOVED the racing slide, that was a TON of fun!

^ I am not sure if I could do those trap-door slides either.

While I like most water slides, I am not a fan of the ones that beat you up, give you a massive wedgie, or splash so much water in your face that you can't see or breathe.

Or, if they do all of the above all at once!

Normally when I go to water parks it is b/c I am normally forced to go as a compromise with whom ever I am with at the time. I don't mind the water rides in the dry park though.

Normally when I go to the a water park I start to think of all the kids peeing in the water, the people sick in the water or the people with bandaids covering up cuts and wounds and irrationally get grossed out.

We're not big Waterpark people.

If we go to a amusement park it's for the rides. Not only is it a hassle to bring all the extra crap you need to go into a Waterpark( us plus 3 kids), but we have Waterparks all over the place that we can attend at any time.

Not to mention that I never really understood standing in a 30-40 min line in the hot sun, just to go on a 15 second waterside. I'm not saying that the slides are not fun, but the coasters are where it's at for us.

Yes, but there's a critical mass for me to want to do so. There's a fair amount of time involved in a decision to go into a waterpark, with changing clothes, applying sunscreen, etc., so there have to be a good number of attractions I want to do for me to make that decision.

I like to try new things, so if there's a water park that has something new that I've never done before, then that's going to be a high priority for me. I'll be going to Kentucky Kingdom in a few weeks, and I'm honestly as excited for Deluge and Deep Water Dive as I am Storm Chaser and Lightning Run. I have favourite slide types, too: I'll generally go on a mat racer or Tornado anywhere; they're both so much fun.

Splashin' Safari is absolutely the best waterpark I've ever been to, and by a long shot. They really take care of that place well, and there are so many things to do. Crystal Falls is another standout, especially for small children. They have three children's areas, one of which has a 2' depth lazy river just for the little kids.

While I like most water slides, I am not a fan of the ones that beat you up, give you a massive wedgie, or splash so much water in your face that you can't see or breathe.

Or, if they do all of the above all at once!

That describes pretty much exactly how I feel about water slides!

Water Parks weren't on my radar at all until I went to SFNE last Summer... Just didn't feel compelled to go... The day we were at SFNE it was forecast to be 90*F+ so we took a midday break into the water park... I was surprised how much fun I had... Because it was 90*F+ however crowds were a problem, so we left... I did find the crowding unbearable in the water park, so I'll only go if crowds will be moderate or better... But I'm willing to give some more water parks a fair shake...

I do quite like water parks and if I go with my friends or family to a place that happens to have one nearby I'll definitely go there. The thing is if I visit an amusement park which has one I won't really bother unless I have plenty of extra time and money to spend (or the "dry" part is crap) as I'll always prefer a good coaster or flat. Unless it is a park I get to visit pretty often I feel like I'm missing too much if I spend some time doing water rides rather than the rest.

For example, I went a full day to Dorney park (which a lot of people visit for the water park) in the summer and not for a second did I consider "losing" an extra ride on talon, hydra,.... to have a go on a water slide. I know many wouldn't do this but I honestly don't regret it.

I don't usually mess with any water parks that are upcharge. I've been to CP's Soak City maybe three times out of 20+ visits during my lifetime. What usually affects my decisions about included cost water parks are:

1) Have I visited it before? If so, is there anything new, and is it worth it?

2) Are the lines long? Would I get more done in the dry park?

For my home park, I probably hit the water park about 65% of the time. I love Darien Lake's water park, but if the lines get extremely long, then I have no problem skipping it. I would love to go in every visit, but sometimes I feel like I could have more fun on the dry side and wait less.