TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

I'm interested in seeing the overall layout. Banked curves and corkscrews seems to be the only thing feasible with this limited circular footprint. The height factor could really add to the thrill. My only complaint is those circular lifts, if you're going to go that far with something like this, at least engineer a more efficient lift system.

I will have you know that the lift hills on Euro-MIR and Eurosat are the greatest lift hill experiences on the face of the earth!

For proof (some colorful language) -

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be] Edited by KBrylczyk

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they might not be going for efficiency, but for the view aspect... going up a straight vertical lift, you don't really get to enjoy the surrounding views.. this way, you can... think about the Intamin Gyro Drop style... you get to enjoy the view all around before plummeting back down... I am intrigued by the rest of the ride though, not sure how much you can do with the limited size, without using breaks every 150ft or so...

I didn't even think of the view aspect of the spiral lift. Makes much more sense now.

About the spiral lift, I can understand why they'd do it... It's a simple solution that they know provably has a higher chance of working well. Obviously, they've learned from their mistakes with past products. While I think something like the spiral elivator lift on Coney Island's new thunderbolt would've been cool, I believe it was taken out of Zamperla's project for a reason. Support the spiral lift decision by S&S.

It feels as if achieving the height record in this way is like using cheat codes to do so.

Why? It's still held up by supports. The supports just have an observation tower on them as well as a coaster. I don't get all of the bickering over this.

May as well just have a coaster run down the side of a 1,000 foot skyscraper at a slow speed and dub it as the "world's tallest coaster." I don't view this as being a *true* rollercoaster. It's almost like Six Flags claiming all of those records and firsts for a wooden coaster when NTAG was built.

This type of argument reminds me of a very old Saturday Night Live sketch:

"New Shimmer is a floor wax!"

"No, it's dessert topping!"

"It's a floor wax!"

"It's a dessert topping!"

"Hey, hold on you two! New Shimmer is a floor wax and a dessert topping!"

Edited by cfc

It feels as if achieving the height record in this way is like using cheat codes to do so.

I don't follow this argument at all. The tallest coaster is the tallest coaster, it's pretty black and white and there's no way of "cheating" to break the record. Just to play devils advocate, If I had to come up with a design that took the height record by "cheating" I'd design a coaster that launched up a hill, came right back down and hit the brakes... claiming the height record with just one hill. Oh... right.

By the way I do have to admit that I'm not as excited about this as I should be since the coaster doesn't actually feature a 500 foot drop. I still find the "tallest drop" record more impressive. That's not to say this won't be awesome (the concept looks really cool), but there should be a separate category for "tallest coaster" and "tallest coaster drop". In the past they almost always went hand-in-hand but it looks like they won't anymore.

By the way I do have to admit that I'm not as excited about this as I should be since the coaster doesn't actually feature a 500 foot drop. I still find the "tallest drop" record more impressive. That's not to say this won't be awesome (the concept looks really cool), but there should be a separate category for "tallest coaster" and "tallest coaster drop". In the past they almost always went hand-in-hand but it looks like they won't anymore.

That's sort of what I find most disappointing about this. It doesn't bother me that there's a building attached, as far as I'm concerned the lift takes you up, gravity takes you down, it's a roller coaster like any other. But what I ideally want out of any super tall coaster is that moment of staring down an impossibly long drop all the way to the ground. This coaster won't have that, and in addition I'm guessing they'll have to trim the crap out of it as it gets closer to the ground, right? I just wonder how exciting a ride it really will be.

Looking forward to construction updates on this.

Just the idea of being up that high and riding a coaster is thrilling enough for me.. assuming you will be able to look straight down at some point...

Inversion at 400 feet up in the air???

Should be fun

Half of you will hate on it and call it cheating, but at the end of the day, next time you find yourselves in Florida, you will still take time out of your travel to go ride this thing. MARK MY WORDS!!!! And regardless, it's still an impressive piece of engineering. I'd rather see something new and different like this then another TTD/Ka variant. Not to mention 8000 feet of track! that's 1405 feet longer then Millennium Force. It should provide a pretty decent ride experience at worst and I've been pretty impressed with what S&S has been bringing to the table recently.

I'm looking forward to the unique ride experience here, also intrigued about how they're going to block it (or just have a lower capacity).

They said groundbreaking ext year so I assume we're looking at a 2015 opening? Maybe even later as it's a huge structure.

By the way I do have to admit that I'm not as excited about this as I should be since the coaster doesn't actually feature a 500 foot drop.

I think that's the exact argument that some are using to say it is kind of cheating, am I wrong? I think it's not that much the fact that it is attached to a tower but the lack of a drop that is nearly as tall as the ride itself. I'm not saying it is invalid or anything (I also feel a bit that way) but that is THE reason why many people would be more exited if it actually featured a 500 foot drop. Still a great concept, no doubt about that, but usually we like to see the height record coming together with the drop record too.

Can't we just see this ride for what it is...A clever way to break the 500 foot barrier without the exorbitant costs that we would of expected to have come with it. And yes, this will be a very expensive project, but the coaster itself should be quite a bit less than what a launched 500' coaster or a traditional 500' lift and drop coaster would cost.

This is probably the only feasible way to break the 500 foot mark right now (I'm sure China will figure out a way) and I think it is brilliant to attach it to a multi-use tower. And we will actually get to do more on this coaster than launch, go up a hill, drop, end.

Edited by ernierocker

Top Thrill and Kinda Ka feel like more of a cheat on the hight record than the PoleR coaster. I think we all want to see a traditional style coaster to break the record, these are both what are cost affective options right now, this is how it is. If people think this tower concept is "cheating", the fact you don't think a launched coaster isn't cheating either, that is a pretty skewed view of things.

This is a cool new concept. It's going to have fantastic views, and a nice thrill element. that is the bottom line. Not to mention a much longer ride experience than what the other 400+ foot coaster are offering.

I could see this somewhere along the I-4 Corridor. Honestly, the whole 'cheating' thing aside, this won't drive people to the area specifically, but will be a side-attraction in the area to take a day away from the other parks (Disney/Universal).

As for nothing to see in FL, on a clear day from the Downtown Disney Balloon (when it's up high), you can make out the VAB at KSC, and even the cruise ships. Not sure about any iconic structures visible in the Tampa/ St. Pete Area, but you have to admit, that's pretty cool.

To go back to the 'cheating', how about NASA just builds a track from the top of the VAB to the bottom. You just ride to the top in the building, then get in the car at the top and ride down. Tallest Coaster, Tallest Drop. Does that satisfy everyone?

History would show that the first version of every new concept will have some good moments and some ho-hum moments. I suppose this will be that way also, but I love the concept and can see all the crazy things that could come from this. How about 2 inter-twined coasters, one mild, one wild. How about adding a drop ride within the structure or attaching zip lines to it it. One of the driving forces that created this idea was to put in a rollercoaster with a footprint the size of a merry-go-round or flat ride. But what it you took the footprint of a galaxy coaster and built two 300 ft. towers that were 30 to 60 ft. apart or more; with loops and barrel rolls between the towers. Possibilities are endless, maybe three towers in a triangle if there is extra ground space. Or enclose some of the sections with other sections of the tower open. I really love this concept once I let my imagination take off.