TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Skyplex Orlando Discussion Thread

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think this coaster would have to be in the Orlando area to attract enough people to make it viable. Not a lot to see in Florida when you are up 500 feet.

Florida's West Coast has some pretty gorgeous things to look at with barrier islands and the mangrove ecosystems. One in St. Pete would be the first that comes to mind. There are a lot of great sunset views to be had on the west coast too.

I'm actually hoping for this project to be on Florida's West Coast. I could see this being a cool thing for the Tampa Bay area. Plus the Banquet Meeting space would sell out SO quickly. No matter where this will be, in order to be successful, will have to be either a joined or very close by a large amount of hotel and other meeting space like an event center or convention center. I think that's why the I-Drive corridor makes so much sense.

This really is anyone's game, as just about any place in Florida would benefit from something like this... expect for Jacksonville. No offense Jax.

I'm just trying to figure out why they would have even tried to build that instead of just doing a pad abort using the LES. Once you're in that sort of situation I would think the consequences of using the LES are negligible compared to the damage which would be done by the rocket exploding on the pad.

Then again, the launch gantries for the Apollo program had crew evacuation system consisting of a "high speed elevator" (which was basically a drop tower), a giant slide, and rubber padded room with chairs mounted on shock absorbers. I'm totally serious.

I'm just trying to figure out why they would have even tried to build that instead of just doing a pad abort using the LES. Once you're in that sort of situation I would think the consequences of using the LES are negligible compared to the damage which would be done by the rocket exploding on the pad.

Then again, the launch gantries for the Apollo program had crew evacuation system consisting of a "high speed elevator" (which was basically a drop tower), a giant slide, and rubber padded room with chairs mounted on shock absorbers. I'm totally serious.

Maybe it was intended for an accident where there was immediate danger inside the capsule, such as a fire (like the Apollo 1 tragedy.)

History would show that the first version of every new concept will have some good moments and some ho-hum moments.

Batman: The Ride, Xcelerator, X2, Ultra Twister, etc...

You know. I don't think I agree with that statement.

It feels as if achieving the height record in this way is like using cheat codes to do so.

By the way I do have to admit that I'm not as excited about this as I should be since the coaster doesn't actually feature a 500 foot drop. I still find the "tallest drop" record more impressive. That's not to say this won't be awesome (the concept looks really cool), but there should be a separate category for "tallest coaster" and "tallest coaster drop". In the past they almost always went hand-in-hand but it looks like they won't anymore.

That's pretty much what I was getting at. The fact that it's 500 feet, but won't have a 500 foot drop is underwhelming and feels like "cheating" to me. Similar to Formula Rossa immediately slowing down after the launch, and the Stratosphere rides that are the "world's highest thrill rides," which are fun rides, but would be kiddy rides if they were on the ground (i.e. Joe Cool's GR8 SK8 at KBF).

Either way, I would still rather have those aforementioned above (and this new coaster) than nothing at all. It is what it is, and complaining isn't going to change anything. There are many great coasters that are smaller and have lower immediate height changes, so I hope the designers of this ride don't let up due to the fact that it's 500 feet and will attract people anyway. A truly kickass coaster with surprising elements and drops could potentially be created.

Edited by FeelTheFORCE

There are many great coasters that are smaller and have lower immediate height changes, so I hope the designers of this ride don't let up due to the fact that it's 500 feet and will attract people anyway. A truly kickass coaster with surprising elements and drops could potentially be created.

But this is my question. Is there an S&S coaster with a truly kickass layout? Not something that's completely average save for maybe one insane airtime moment that almost seems like an accident?

There are many great coasters that are smaller and have lower immediate height changes, so I hope the designers of this ride don't let up due to the fact that it's 500 feet and will attract people anyway. A truly kickass coaster with surprising elements and drops could potentially be created.

But this is my question. Is there an S&S coaster with a truly kickass layout? Not something that's completely average save for maybe one insane airtime moment that almost seems like an accident?

Considering this will be unlike anything that already exists, that is a difficult question to answer.

I think two of their new launched coasters in China look pretty good, but they are probably nothing like what this ride will be. El Locos have pretty kickass layouts, but are kinda gimmicky. I bet this ride will have some very good moments and that other parts will be a little more dull.

I'd say the El Locos have a pretty kickass layout, as does Avalanche/HellCat.

I'm really looking forward to the PolerCoaster, I think it's a neat concept!