TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

I like GASM as it is now, just as I liked Judge Roy Scream in TX it's last season.

I don't remember much from my visit in the 88/89 (other than the long line for Z-Force) , but certainly nothing stood out as particularly rough. 30 yrs later it's one of 3 coasters still there.

That style coaster was never smooth, not like the modern stuff is.

A full retack would help it, as I don't think it's been maintained well, but it'll never be as smooth as a modern GCI.

Edited by TEDodd

My kids have decided to get museum memberships Next year rather than Season passes(We've had membership since program started) but this was my 22nd season as a pass holder. May do a few one day visits though. But y'all enjoy next season. HITP will be our last visit for a full season. o/ I shall now retire to my bed for some rest before work. and speak to y'all laters.

I like GASM as it is now, just as I liked Judge Roy Scream in TX it's last season.

I don't remember much from my visit in the 88/89 (other than the long line for Z-Force) , but certainly nothing stood out as particularly rough. 30 yrs later it's one of 3 coasters still there.

That style coaster was never smooth, not like the modern stuff is.

A full retack would help it, as I don't think it's been maintained well, but it'll never be as smooth as a modern GCI.

GASM does not have to be a bad ride. Hopefully the park will make good on its promise to gradually re-track the rest of the length. For those of you that have heard of Lake Winnepesaukah (Lake Winnie) in far north Georgia, they have a wooden coaster made by the SAME manufacturer - Philadelphia Toboggan, and like its Six Flags counterpart, it too has been designated an ACE Landmark. Theirs is called "Cannon Ball" - a callout to the battle of Lookout Mountain. Their woodie is very well maintained and not rough at all. Granted, their coaster is considerably smaller, but far more enjoyable.

Hopefully GASM can be returned to its glory days. If the park was able to give Scorcher some badly needed love and attention, then there's hope.

So, I'm super excited to be planning my first trip down to SFOG EVER, for next month! It'll either be the first weekend, or the third weekend, I haven't decided yet. I'll be taking my oldest kids, as usual, and we'll probably spend two days there to really get a good experience of the park! So, with that in mind, does anybody have any tips, tricks, or important info to know before we go?

I know if we go that first weekend, it'll be open late for Fright Fest, and likely be warmer. But it'll also be more crowded, I would imagine. Plus, waiting two weeks gives me an extra couple weeks to set aside some money for it. So I'm leaning towards the latter date, but may still try to squeeze in the early one. If I do go later, will it be dark by 6:00? If so, what are the best rides to ride in the dark? Is there anything non-coaster related that shouldn't be skipped, besides the Monster Mansion, and Acrophobia?

At any rate, I'm super excited to finally get down to this park after all these years of being an enthusiast, so hopefully it's a great time!

^ You guys will have a great time.

Since I recall that you are not a "Flash Pass" kind of guy I'd highly recommend rope dropping Dare Devil Dive. It is by far the smoothest Eurofighter I've ever ridden but the capacity is garbage. You will have to pass Scorcher and Twisted Cyclone, but trust me and do it.

Superman was the 1st flyer and actually uses terrain to its advantage but remember that it is a flyer and loading times can be a bit rough.

Of course, don't miss Mindbender - it is AWESOME - try to get a couple rides in the back seat.

Monster Mansion - don't miss it. It is an old but incredibly weird and well dark ride.

Like most Six Flags, your wait for food will be frustrating - but they have actually been serving decent food this year so that is a plus.

it is a VERY hilly park, so be prepared for that and use the Sky Buckets to your advantage.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. I've been going there most of my life and actually take my 3 year old every weekend.

David

If you read DC Comics, you know Catwoman is not a villain anymore. She's Batman's wife and more of a hero than anything.

Also, am I old enough to remember when the kiddie coaster at SFNE was themed after Poison Ivy?

Add these two rides with the Harley Quinn Spinsanity and we have the Gotham City Sirens!

^^Thanks, jynx242! Sorry to have been remiss in thanking you sooner, but I tend not to post when I'm on my phone, and when I got back online and was posting, the SFOG thread was buried again. I appreciate all of your advice!

Regarding rope-dropping Dare Devil Dive, I was wondering whether they still have the practice of opening up Twisted Cyclone at 10:00, when the park opens at 10:30. If they do, would it work for us to go there first for a couple of laps, and then rope drop DDD when the rest of the park opens?

As I'm looking at maximizing our thrills over the course of that weekend (we're likely to go down the 16th and 17th of November), I am looking at potentially doing Carowinds on the 16th, as it's open until 8 on that Saturday, whereas SFOG is only open until 6 both days. What I was wondering though, as somebody who hasn't ever been to SFOG, is whether it's worth 2 full days there, at the cost of not doing Carowinds as well? We went to Carowinds last year, so Copperhead Strike would be new, but otherwise, we have been there before, and don't NEED to go back (though getting a ton more rides on Fury is ALWAYS welcome!) But will we be able to do all the major coasters and other attractions like Monster Mansion, in one 10:30 - 6:00 day at SFOG? Or should we allot two days to fully enjoy it, and get to do everything? As you correctly recalled, jynx242, I am not a "Fast Pass Guy"!

Thanks again for all the assistance, both jynx242, and anybody else who wants to weigh in! I'm really excited to finally get down there and visit this park!

You should definitely be able to do SFoG in one day. Even on fairly crowded days only Daredevil Dive and Superman get irritatingly long lines due to awful capacity/dispatches.

Note: their Kiddy is actually pretty good, but only has one train. If that is something you guys want to get - I'd do it earlier rather than later as its line can get pretty long. I know this because having a 3 1/2 year old as ones constant companion can mean I spend longer in line for the kiddy than I would for Twisted Cyclone or Goliath

There's been a few Sunday mornings this year where I got all the coasters in and a couple extra on Goliath in roughly 2 hours. People are usually late arriving here. They don't care if you stay on or move to a different seat if it isn't crowded.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for my grammar but I just was wondering does Six Flags Over Georgia have a bright future in terms of adding new roller coasters and thrill rides? I see splash water falls still isn’t operating does anyone know what could go their for a future replacement? I’ve heard on other forums that six flags over Georgia does lack water rides. Because of the brutal heat in Georgia do they have space to add a water ride or two?

Sorry for my grammar but I just was wondering does Six Flags Over Georgia have a bright future in terms of adding new roller coasters and thrill rides? I see splash water falls still isn’t operating does anyone know what could go their for a future replacement? I’ve heard on other forums that six flags over Georgia does lack water rides. Because of the brutal heat in Georgia do they have space to add a water ride or two?

SFOG still has a log flume, rapids ride and included water park. It's not lacking in water rides at all compared to some parks currently (Carowinds has only the water park, so yeah they could use something in the dry park as an example). Shoot-the-Chute and log flumes are slowly becoming extinct in general at parks all over due to age/maintenance. Outside of Mack PowerSplash, I don't see anything else (water ride) they'd add anytime soon. I think an S&S Freespin will occupy the space of Splashwater Falls in the future.

I think an S&S Freespin will occupy the space of Splashwater Falls in the future.

I sure hope not! Six Flags has been installing Freespins for a while now. Considering that SFOG was one of the ‘original’ parks, I don’t see us getting a Freespin since we haven’t gotten one after all this time. A decent compact launched coaster would not only fit that area, but I’m 100% sure it would get a better appreciation than a Freespin would. Maxx Force was an instant hit so I’m hoping that the Six Flags executives are in contact with Premier Rides to bring something similar to SFOG in the next few years.

I went to SFoG yesterday. It was excellent. No lines anywhere. They never even opened the main parking lot. Other than Blue Hawk being down, everything was running. Walk ons all day. Most food places open with no lines. We had a blast. I can't imagine how dead it is today or next weekend.

I think an S&S Freespin will occupy the space of Splashwater Falls in the future.

I sure hope not! Six Flags has been installing Freespins for a while now. Considering that SFOG was one of the ‘original’ parks, I don’t see us getting a Freespin since we haven’t gotten one after all this time.

Oh don't worry, it's coming . . .

source.gif

Considering that SFOG was one of the ‘original’ parks, I don’t see us getting a Freespin since we haven’t gotten one after all this time.

Right, all of the “original” SF parks always get the best additions. Just ask SFSL.

and SFOT, when they got their FreeSpin in 2018.

Considering that SFOG was one of the ‘original’ parks, I don’t see us getting a Freespin since we haven’t gotten one after all this time.

Right, all of the “original” SF parks always get the best additions. Just ask SFSL.

and SFOT, when they got their FreeSpin in 2018.

2017 lol. But The fact that nearly every SF park got a batman clone makes me believe nearly everyone will get a free spin. I'ts just a matter of time before it makes it's way to SFoG. I'm guessing something to attract more to Metropolis Park.

I've actually had a couple of fantastic visits this month. Went last Sunday and this Sunday - very low crowds and very little frustration. Staff seemed overall very helpful and energetic as well. Was hoping some of the Holiday lights would be turned on last night, but they aren't yet. Also, haven't ridden the Mine Train in the dark in about 35 years (a three year old will change your ride priority list,) and that was a TON of fun.