TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

We went yesterday for the first time this year. Overall a great experience. Park was empty. Ops were very good all-around, but then its hard to really judge on a light day. Many rides were walk-on, or close to it. Foodservice was fast but characteristically unhappy and borderline-rude. We got food though, and it didn't take forever, so I call that a win. Weather was great. Overall a fantastic day at Six Flags.

The new Metropolis section is beautiful, a much needed facelift to that part of the park. And the JL:BFM building looks great.

Yesterday was our first time on one, and it was a lot of fun. The kids loved it. Unfortunately it was having some sort of minor technical difficulties all afternoon. We were turned away earlier in the day since it was down, but when we came back by it was running. There wasn't much of a line, it wasn't even outside the building, but even still we waited almost an hour due to small down-time delays occurring regularly. We stuck it out though and got to ride, and, best I could tell, it worked flawlessly while we were on it. I can see us riding that one often, especially with the kids, I just hope they get the new-ride gremlins worked out soon.

Overall, a great day at the park. Hope to find time one day next week to get back.

PS: When (and why) did they adjust the height limitations on the Superman Drop Tower? I rode it when it first opened, but yesterday I was turned away as being too tall. Sure enough, the signage now says 54" max height. This is now a very limited ride, only allowing riders between 42-54". Both my 11yr and 13yr old are too tall for it now, even though they rode last year. My 7-yr old had worked up the nerve to try that one this year and none of us were allowed to ride with her yesterday. She rode it anyway, and enjoyed it some, but was very nervous. I think she would've enjoyed it more had she not been alone on it.

Wits notwithstanding, I was referring to the Cyclone at SF New England, which became wicked cyclone, NOT Riverside

Six Flags New England was formerly Riverside Amusement Park, so Cyclone was always referred to as the Riverside Cyclone. Even RCDB refers to it this way in the description. Sorry, I forgot that if you weren't semi local enough to have been subjected to hundreds of "New England Riverside" commercials (with that annoyingly catchy jingle) you'd probably never know that since it was never technically part of the ride's name.

I have my doubts about Georgia Cyclone getting the RMC treatment, at least for 2018. Hear me out:

I think it would be an excellent decision by SFOG (believe me, it needs it), but I feel as if construction should have started by now, plus RMC seems pretty tied to two other conversions (including one that is partially a ground up coaster) plus the raptor(s) that are planned to be built. Also, Six Flags seems to be pretty close to S&S right now, leading me to believe that some of their concepts that they've displayed over the past couple of years will go into effect in the chain first and foremost.

My prediction is that Over Georgia will get some sort of S&S launch coaster for 2018 (it fills a need and follows Six Flags' trends). However this doesn't mean that Georgia Cyclone won't get love at some point.

I have my doubts about Georgia Cyclone getting the RMC treatment, at least for 2018. Hear me out:

I think it would be an excellent decision by SFOG (believe me, it needs it), but I feel as if construction should have started by now, plus RMC seems pretty tied to two other conversions (including one that is partially a ground up coaster) plus the raptor(s) that are planned to be built. Also, Six Flags seems to be pretty close to S&S right now, leading me to believe that some of their concepts that they've displayed over the past couple of years will go into effect in the chain first and foremost.

My prediction is that Over Georgia will get some sort of S&S launch coaster for 2018 (it fills a need and follows Six Flags' trends). However this doesn't mean that Georgia Cyclone won't get love at some point.

In my opinion, it's hard to say. There are markings on the footers of GA Cyclone but that may not mean anything's really gonna happen. One other theory I have is Six Flags tearing the whole coaster down and building an S&S freespin in its spot. The plot of land would be great for a more compact coaster like those freespins. If that happens (regardless of where one may be built in the park or when) then I can see them using a name other than the Joker since two other Joker-themed rides already exist in the park.

Honestly, its really hard to say since this is all just speculation. I would rather have them keep GA Cyclone and at least refurbish it or have RMC come in and perform their magic rather than having the park tear it down completely.

My trip to the park got cancelled last Tuesday due to the rain so we're gonna attempt another trip this coming Tuesday. Can't wait to try out the JL:BFM.

I thought the Georgia Cyclone was really good as is when I rode it last year. The steep drops all gave fantastic air in the back. It was an aggressive ride but I didn't find it too rough.

I'd prefer for a ground-up RMC but I can't deny the fact that a Cyclone makeover would result in a better overall ride.

Definitely green/teal markers on the footers.

RMC hasn't used those color markers in the past. Second, RMC is working with CF and there are claims the deal excludes SF builds. It was rumored when SF went on a run of RMC's they put in terms to exclude CF projects in that period so they coud reap the benefits of the innovative new RMC conversions exclusively over their big chain competitor

Yeah I don't dislike the cyclone either. Yeah it's pretty rough, but sometimes I like it rough. Wild coasters are fun, and that thing is wild.

That said, I think it's probably lost a lot of it's appeal for the masses, which is Six Flags bread n butter. So yeah, I'd like to see them put some money into it but I hope it's not too tame.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

^^That was just a rumour though. Many, many times has it been said that Six Flags had exclusive rights to RMC's, I believe this did not turn out to be true at all, and it's likely what you said there isn't either. There's no reason why Cedar Fair would now have some rights stopping Six Flags specifically building RMC's

Went to the park last night, and checked out what everyone is talking about with Cyclone. First off the ride seems to be running excellent! Better than it has in a while. The magic seat for me is row 11. Indeed there are green dots on every footer. There are also things spray painted on the ground, #'s and X's.

Personally I would hate to see anything happen to Cyclone as I'm a huge fan. A complete teardown would be devastating! I could deal with all this a little better if it was an RMC conversion.

^ How were the crowds last night? I'm heading there today and will spend most of the afternoon there. The plan is to arrive by opening.

As far as Cyclone, something in my mind is still saying that it's gonna be torn down for an S&S Freespin. That piece of land is a great spot for one as its pretty narrow. Personally I would prefer one to be installed somewhere else in the park. Having Georgia Cyclone torn down would indeed be devastating, just as you said. While I'm hopeful for an RMC treatment, I would rather the coaster receive some major TLC. Any of those two will be better than a total teardown, though.

I don't know guys. I still think it may be an RMC treatment for cyclone. If they were tearing it down would there truly be a reason to mark each support and spray paint on the ground as they have? Also could they not fit a 4D free spin in DeJa Vu's old spot? I think that would be be a great spot actually.

Funny with all this talk of Ga Cyclone... I was just going through my pictures over the years, and always gasp when I see my shots of a brand-new 1990 Ga Cyclone. The tracks weren't even all painted. It was (after many many coasters since) one of the top 3 coasters I ever rode.

When I went back in 1994, it had already had numerous "re-profiles" to remove airtime, etc., brakes were on hard, etc.

When I rode it in 2007, it was a hunk of junk. So slow and bumpy, the train rode the inside rail on the curves.

On visits since, it's much better with the topper/hybrid track on the first 2 drops... but man, I consider myself lucky to have rode that thing new.

I'm sure the new RMC Cyclone will be fun. I will almost surely be spending the majority of my time on Mind Bender.

Just returned from an early afternoon visit to the park. Crowds were slightly heavy but not too bad overall. Most people seemed pretty spread out throughout the park. Temperatures were borderline hot but not too bad.

Unfortunately we didn't stay as long as we originally planned, but still had a good time.

My highlight of the trip was obviously the Justice League ride. I thought it was pretty awesome. It was my first time on the attraction and I think it was a great addition to the park. Only had to wait about 30 minutes. I love the fact that now there's two indoor attractions in the park, perfect for those Georgia Summer days.

Dare Devil was down the whole time we were there, but maintenance was actively working on it. Most coasters were running multiple trains which really helped with the waits.

Lastly, let me quickly mention GA Cyclone. I ended up trying row 11 (described as a magic seat from a previous poster). I gotta admit, it was a lot more enjoyable compared to last season. Both trains were running which I was glad to see. Still pretty rough, but the airtime is great. Yes

Overall a great day at the park. Some pictures to follow:

IMG_4873.thumb.JPG.4f7fed51a1e6b23a553129c79fbbd01d.JPG

Happy 50 years, SFoG!

IMG_4874.thumb.JPG.1ec9d7ade39155b7a62f5f4ada1eb108.JPG

Nothing to see here.

IMG_4876.thumb.JPG.9486106584d8552d80746dc2f2133745.JPG

Still nothing to see here.

IMG_4878.thumb.JPG.d30fa0f19d14484492480f6e4e88950a.JPG

Just a random green dot.

IMG_4879.thumb.JPG.129be1879b8b03332a11efacf02164b7.JPG

IMG_4881.thumb.JPG.075972c962da5629ee9a676386de238a.JPG

Green dots everywhere

IMG_4882.thumb.JPG.2a20a9c5f2d2cc5138d80299dac1fbae.JPG

More markers

IMG_4885.thumb.JPG.65433373602ad5dfe0bcb9023b0cdfa3.JPG

IMG_4886.thumb.JPG.bdc227412a6b4b68c8feac508d9132db.JPG

The Justice League building looks great!

IMG_4888.thumb.JPG.3704b51f01cbd2a37311a78b5bbc6492.JPG

IMG_4891.thumb.JPG.17f9db92d91ba15959319d1630dfd6a0.JPG

Loving the fresh new paint job on Superman

IMG_4895.thumb.JPG.18d28029f14461ebb4f3806827966606.JPG

Nice photos, thanks for sharing.

I can't wait to get back to this park, I really hope these markers mean RMC. I've been saying they should convert Cyclone since my visit last spring.

They definitely shouldn't touch GASM, I thought it was great as is, but Cyclone could be RMC'd - the spots not retracked were borderline brutal and an RMC would look great hanging over the front of the park. Fingers crossed.

RMC is working with CF and there are claims the deal excludes SF builds. It was rumored when SF went on a run of RMC's they put in terms to exclude CF projects in that period so they coud reap the benefits of the innovative new RMC conversions exclusively over their big chain competitor

Can we stop pretending like this a real thing? It's always been "there was a rumor that..." with no source and no confirmation this was actually true. Didn't Fred Grubb himself mentioned at one point there were no exclusivity contracts with either SF or any other group of parks?

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like it's been a bit since anyone posted in this thread, so I'm hoping people see this before the end of the day. Which rides actually have single rider lines? Because the map says all the coasters have them but I didn't see one at DDD and now Mind Bender says they don't either.

Also, if anyone happens to be here today, send me a PM.

Tips for rows to ride and whatnot? I saw someone just said Cyclone in 11. I'll also keep my eyes out for markings.

Also, if anyone cares I just single handedly fought and won my first raid battle.

^The single rider lines are a joke. They basically took the space between row railing in the station, and turned them into a single rider line. It isn't even accessible until you are in the station and no one uses them. They are completely forgotten. I don't think any ride in the park has a legitimate single rider line.

Where to sit on rides...

Cyclone: Front row of last car

Scorcher: Worth front for the view and back for the airtime. Back left is my favorite because you get surprise airtime on the sideways hill before the corkscrew.

Goliath: back is best but the front is worth a try as well.

DDD: Front

Mindbender: Front of back car.

Batman: Front for view, back for forces.

Mine Train: Front of back car. Good airtime on final drop

Superman: Front for view. Back for forces

GASM: front of back car. Avoid back row of any car on the train. The wheel seats are incredibly rough.

Blue Hawk: Anywhere but many people prefer front row of back car.

Rides you should try that many people might skip...

Monster Mansion: Great classic dark ride.

Thunder River: Best rapids ride I have been on. Classic 80s Intamin with insane rapids after the final tunnel. The entire ride looks like a real river too. Plus the blasters people pay to soak you with are very powerful.

Riverview Carousel: worth looking at even if you don't ride it.

Joker Funhouse Coaster: family coaster but very good. First drop has great airtime in the back row.

Acrophobia: The stand up tilting seats make the ride very scary. Plus, the brake stretch at the base of the tower is very short and low to the ground. It scares me more than any other Intamin 3rd gen tower by far.

PS: When (and why) did they adjust the height limitations on the Superman Drop Tower? I rode it when it first opened, but yesterday I was turned away as being too tall. Sure enough, the signage now says 54" max height. This is now a very limited ride, only allowing riders between 42-54". Both my 11yr and 13yr old are too tall for it now, even though they rode last year. My 7-yr old had worked up the nerve to try that one this year and none of us were allowed to ride with her yesterday. She rode it anyway, and enjoyed it some, but was very nervous. I think she would've enjoyed it more had she not been alone on it.

I had to look up photos of the ride to remind myself what it looked like, but I see your point now.

img_1828.jpg(x)

Looks like an extremely narrow gap for height restrictions to me, and especially odd having kids go without their parent or older rider on a 30 foot drop tower.

Thanks for the quick response! Glad I wasn't just trippin about not seeing the single rider lines but sucks that they're not really helpful.

Thank you for all the row preference suggestions! How rough are Blue Hawk and Scorcher and where is the best place to sit to minimize roughness?

I think I will take you up on the river rapids suggestion soon. It's f$&king hot and I was starting to feel dizzy. I rode back row of Goliath and while the airtime was fun and the layout cool, it was vibrating like hell! The guy next to me said it's not usually that rough, but with the affects of heat I was feeling, I decided to postpone the potentially rougher coasters until I can recover.

Just to stir up a little speculation, I know that it was mentioned that RMC markers are usually orange. With the green markers on cyclone is it possible to assume that since flags may be bringing in a company like GCI to work on cyclone? Maybe just a full standard retrack?