TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Georgia (SFOG) Discussion Thread

So since the announcement that Georgia Cyclone is closing, has the wait increased from people trying to get in the last rides? Or has it not really had any affect? I'm just curious.

I bet it's increased it if only a little, people I'll swear up and down they'll never ride something again, but the second announced that it's closing, they'll want to get their last rides in.

^ & ^^, literally from the last post on the previous page...

One thing to note, Georgia Cyclone used to be a walk on ride but since they announced it closing I've seen a 120 minute waits which is crazy, so you may want to knock out that one fairly early too before the park gets crowded.

I think that is pretty much par for the course when they close a "classic" or older ride.

I have mixed feelings about the closure and possible upgrade. I remember Cyclone when it was new and it was absolutely psychotic with the airtime and layout. I've subsequently had many rides that my chiropractor loved me for .

It always just irritated me how it had gotten so rough and I saw it as a huge waste of potential. If it is getting an RMC makeover, I'm sure it will be epic - but I'll always remember the original in it's glory days.

D

It always just irritated me how it had gotten so rough and I saw it as a huge waste of potential. If it is getting an RMC makeover, I'm sure it will be epic - but I'll always remember the original in it's glory days.

This is the issue with every big wooden coaster that ultimately has to be torn down or converted. Hercules, Mean Streak, Old Texas Giant, etc... they were all amazing when they opened and for at least a few years following, but the parks cheaped out with basic maintenance until it was too late. Such a tremendous waste. I hate to see people begging for wooden coasters to be torn out or converted when all it really needs is some track work. I wish the original RMC idea - the track replacement concept, would have taken off more. What ever happened to that?

Georgia Cyclone is running trim-less today. Wahoo!!

Y'all... this ride is still so good.

I completely understand the GP angle on this, though. It IS rough, and the trains are not pleasant at all.

Question... y'all think they will scrap the entire supports-structures, or leave a lot of it? Reason I ask... I watched it closely today... wow. I know they have to flex some, but I think it flexes a LOT. Thoughts on that?

Georgia Cyclone is running trim-less today. Wahoo!!

Y'all... this ride is still so good.

I completely understand the GP angle on this, though. It IS rough, and the trains are not pleasant at all.

Question... y'all think they will scrap the entire supports-structures, or leave a lot of it? Reason I ask... I watched it closely today... wow. I know they have to flex some, but I think it flexes a LOT. Thoughts on that?

The original Rattler flexed liked crazy, It has to else it will snap.

This is the issue with every big wooden coaster that ultimately has to be torn down or converted. Hercules, Mean Streak, Old Texas Giant, etc... they were all amazing when they opened and for at least a few years following, but the parks cheaped out with basic maintenance until it was too late. Such a tremendous waste. I hate to see people begging for wooden coasters to be torn out or converted when all it really needs is some track work. I wish the original RMC idea - the track replacement concept, would have taken off more. What ever happened to that?

The only topper track I've been on is Tremors. Unless you sit in the front seat and look very closely you cannot tell the difference between the original and the topper track. I didn't ride it before the topper track installations so maybe someone more familiar with the ride could have noticed the rough spots becoming smooth. As far as I know Silverwood never marketed this upgrade (and was a test site for RMC). It might be difficult for a park not located virtually next door to RMC to get significant return on investment for replacing worn out track with new track of the exact same alignment (unless needed to keep the ride operable). New track with crazier twists is more marketable ...

I rode Georgia Cy Clone a few years ago (before the topper track) and did not enjoy it, not even in the front seat. Looking forward to seeing what RMC is going to do, assuming that is the plan.

Edited by mark549

I remember Cyclone when it was new and it was absolutely psychotic with the airtime and layout.

May 1990. Holy cow. So grateful I experienced that (over a 2 day ACE Spring Con). Throw in Texas Giant and Timberwolf in that group. No tight-seated, rag-dolling RMC could ever come close.

My rides on Ga Cyclone in March 1994 were great too, but the ride had already been resculpted in a few places.

The only topper track I've been on is Tremors. Unless you sit in the front seat and look very closely you cannot tell the difference between the original and the topper track. I didn't ride it before the topper track installations so maybe someone more familiar with the ride could have noticed the rough spots becoming smooth. As far as I know Silverwood never marketed this upgrade (and was a test site for RMC). It might be difficult for a park not located virtually next door to RMC to get significant return on investment for replacing worn out track with new track of the exact same alignment (unless needed to keep the ride operable). New track with crazier twists is more marketable ...

I rode Georgia Cy Clone a few years ago (before the topper track) and did not enjoy it, not even in the front seat. Looking forward to seeing what RMC is going to do, assuming that is the plan.

The front is my preference for Cyclone, it gives amazingly smooth rides in the front, I have a soft spot for Cyclone, it has some amazing airtime, and if most people consider Cyclone the roughest coaster at SFOG I'd say that's more of a reflection on how smooth the majority of their rides are, and not how rough Cyclone is.

Went for the first time today, poor operations (slow)

Goliath was running 1 train and dispatching that train every 10 minutes

Mind Bender was running 1 train

Dare Devil Dive was an hour wait and we were at the station

Georgia Scorcher was good

Batman ran 2 trains, had 30 minute wait

Battle Of Metropolis was hour and a half wait

Superman was down every time we went by

Could use some better crew on rides, and using more than 1 train on a BUSY Friday.

Just my 2 cents...

Went for the first time today, poor operations (slow)

Goliath was running 1 train and dispatching that train every 10 minutes

Mind Bender was running 1 train

Dare Devil Dive was an hour wait and we were at the station

Georgia Scorcher was good

Batman ran 2 trains, had 30 minute wait

Battle Of Metropolis was hour and a half wait

Superman was down every time we went by

Could use some better crew on rides, and using more than 1 train on a BUSY Friday.

Just my 2 cents...

Something must have been wrong with one of Goliaths train, because it's always two trains.

Honestly, I feel like DDD would be better suited at another park in the chain that would not be as poorly affect with such low capacity. That was a really inappropriate addition for SFOG.

I remember Cyclone when it was new and it was absolutely psychotic with the airtime and layout.

May 1990. Holy cow. So grateful I experienced that (over a 2 day ACE Spring Con). Throw in Texas Giant and Timberwolf in that group. No tight-seated, rag-dolling RMC could ever come close.

My rides on Ga Cyclone in March 1994 were great too, but the ride had already been resculpted in a few places.

Wow...Great times....I had been interested in coasters since the late sixties and that late weekend in March of 1990 just so happened to be visiting my sister in college. Didn't even know the Georgia Cyclone even existed let alone opening that weekend. I had the chance to ride a great wooden coaster and also that was my first introduction to ACE....

I think I'm the only one who went deaf during the vid of coaster addict when they PR said shills are back in session on July 31st. Umm why? It's still summer. Most go back mid August or after Labor Day. When did they get out for summer? April? Sheesh. I'd be pissed if I was a kid going back to school in July. Is the whole county all year round schooling or something?

I think I'm the only one who went deaf during the vid of coaster addict when they PR said shills are back in session on July 31st. Umm why? It's still summer. Most go back mid August or after Labor Day. When did they get out for summer? April? Sheesh. I'd be pissed if I was a kid going back to school in July. Is the whole county all year round schooling or something?

I have a niece and nephew who live in Effingham County (NW of Savannah) and they go back August 3rd. Another nephew lives in Bryan County (1 county south of Savannah) and they go back August 7th. They all get out May 23rd. Cobb (the one he mentions) starts the July 31st (last day May 23) and Fulton starts Aug 7th (last day May 24). That does seem quite early. The schools where I live (Gainesville, FL) start back August 14th.

I went to school in Cherokee County, a county north of Cobb. Traditionally, both Cobb and Cherokee start the first week of August and get out around Memorial Day weekend. It's because there are breaks scheduled in September and February that most other counties don't have. It's so there's a week off roughly every 6 weeks, but they still can have a full year of school. It's honestly a great schedule since kids don't get too burned out, and they have a week to recharge and get through the next 6 weeks.

Took a brief visit to the park today and got my final ride in on Georgia Cyclone. The park is pretty crowded today and most waits are averaging around 30+ minutes. Justice League broke down while we were in line waiting, and Monster Mansion went down as well. Other than that, our main focus today was riding Cyclone for the last time before it closes after next weekend.

Also, not sure if this has been posted yet, but the park now has the "Something big is coming.." banner up on the side of Cyclone's storage shed.

IMG_4957.thumb.JPG.c81c017354d75e8d4bbe1dee3b338e83.JPG

Took a brief visit to the park today and got my final ride in on Georgia Cyclone. The park is pretty crowded today and most waits are averaging around 30+ minutes. Justice League broke down while we were in line waiting, and Monster Mansion went down as well. Other than that, our main focus today was riding Cyclone for the last time before it closes after next weekend.

Also, not sure if this has been posted yet, but the park now has the "Something big is coming.." banner up on the side of Cyclone's storage shed.

Honestly, I feel like DDD would be better suited at another park in the chain that would not be as poorly affect with such low capacity. That was a really inappropriate addition for SFOG.

I mean a lot of the other parks are busier or just as busy as Georgia during it's peak, the only park that a Eurofighter wouldn't be a nightmare capacity wise is probably Six Flags America.