TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

^ I believe they have until June 2011 to turn it into toothpicks, but you do bring up a good point, what happens if they don't make the deadline, I haven't seen anything on that. I would assume a well written contract would say, too bad so sad, and the bull dozer cometh.

They should go out on Halloween with "Save the Big Dipper" boxes around their neck. They'd probably make more in one night then they could on their website.

I think my plan of having a university with a strong engineering buying it would have worked better. Build it, teach physics, structures, dynamics, statics, etc through an applied application, and then charge students $2 a ride.

BTW, the New Zealand dude who paid for the ride has now dropped out of the project:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As you know I do not live in the USA, nor am I a citizen of America. Because of this and the fact I have a real day job, I have been unable to be directly involved in the project (the directors tab on the website has never seemed exactly correct). Even so, the few small things I have done and several other unrelated committments I've been focussing on have taken a toll on my life, and I feel it is time for me to cut back before it makes an impact on my work performance and I get fired. I am very priviledged to have collaborated with Kat: she has a drive and determination which has to be admired, and I believe she will see this through to the end. For now though, it's been a great trip, and I look forward to seeing what happens next.

Harold

That didn't take long...

Edited by robbalvey

BTW, the dude who paid for the ride has now dropped out of the project:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As you know I do not live in the USA, nor am I a citizen of America. Because of this and the fact I have a real day job, I have been unable to be directly involved in the project (the directors tab on the website has never seemed exactly correct). Even so, the few small things I have done and several other unrelated committments I've been focussing on have taken a toll on my life, and I feel it is time for me to cut back before it makes an impact on my work performance and I get fired. I am very priviledged to have collaborated with Kat: she has a drive and determination which has to be admired, and I believe she will see this through to the end. For now though, it's been a great trip, and I look forward to seeing what happens next.

Harold

You know, you really can't write a better story of failure than this....

And, the school idea is an interesting thing... Would be a cool project to build, run, upkeep, etc....

One of the biggest things they lack is commitment on the part of Kat and Harold. I see I'm a little late on this post because Harold dropped out proving my point. No company is going to donate any substantial time or money when Kat can just walk away at any moment. She has no financial risk in this project. I doubt that they paid anything for the coaster. No one wanted to buy it so I'm sure they would gladly give it away to avoid removal costs.

I think my plan of having a university with a strong engineering buying it would have worked better. Build it, teach physics, structures, dynamics, statics, etc through an applied application, and then charge students $2 a ride.

I know that the annual upkeep and maintenance of a wooden coaster can be in the neighborhood of $100,000 and I'm pretty sure the cost of amusement ride risk insurance is around the same price. And that's not even factoring in basic things like labor, electricity, additional staffing, promotions, grounds upkeep, etc, etc...

So to even just to *maybe* break event, you'd need 50,000 riders per season at $5 per ride. And they want to keep it in Cleveland? So that means it will run, what, 5-6 months out of the year at the most?

The only chance they would have is that some park who actually knows what they are doing, who actually would have the experience and a plan to re-build it, and most importantly, HAS MONEY, is all of a sudden in need of a used wooden coaster, takes pity on them and buys it off of them. That is the ONLY scenario I see that would make any sense at all.

BTW, the dude who paid for the ride has now dropped out of the project

Wha? Wha? Wha? NOOOOO!!!!! What about his dreams of making Big Dipper his first wooden roller coaster? What happened to those???

Oh...he woke up and reality set in...

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

^ Yes, can I just please remind anyone that if you are even THINKING about throwing away your money to the Big Dipper effort that we can divert your cash to this much better, and actually REAL organization:

http://www.cff.org/GetInvolved/ManyWaysToGive/MakeADonation/

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

maybe somebody will want the trains or lift motor, oh who am I kidding, it's gonna be bound for the museum. The folks in Arlington will be happy to give them directions down to Texas.

Maybe I can borrow my dad's pick up. A road trip sounds like fun!!

Let us remember, none of Prince Desmond's partners dropped out in his effort to save the Dipper.

There's still hope then!!

First off, I am new here and love this thread. I have not seen so much usage of basic common sense in any other amusement park forum... You also have fun while doing it. If it where not for the bone heads at a certain site based on trying to bring back the whole GL park, then I would never have found this. I am sure most know what site that is... I go over there every night for a few laughs.

Anyways, I have not been through to many other threads and do not commonly post on forums. I will however be watching here from now on.

I hope Kat reads these posts and takes the advice now that Kiwi came to his senses.... I see she is in college, maybe she needs a lesson from Rodney to help out on gaps in her plan... (disclaimer: I use plan very loosely here).

They may not be manufacturing Widgets, but saving the dipper in this fashion is just as imaginary...

Edited by robbalvey

The only thing that could make this better would be if we found out that the kiwi sent Kat $10k, and she only had to pay $5 for the ride

Ug can't believe I was generous enough to kick them $50 after the whole drama...can I set up a donation site to get my $50 back???

not to mention the douchebags didn't put up a CF link on the site like you had requested =(

Tear the damn thing down, save the trains, pay GCI to build something new, game over.

I mean seriously, Ive been following this thread and it is just ridiculous the idea of the whole project. Sure I would love to see the ride saved and moved and operated again somewhere, everyone would love to see it saved, I never got to ride it and did hear great things about it. But come on some things you jest need to let go. It would be different if there was a park that was willing to foot the bill for the relocation and refurbishment and rebuilding or even just a rich nut job to foot the bill to relocate to his private field or backyard. But with no money and no where to move the damn thing to why bother?

Its like you find a really old cool classic car rotting in a ditch that has been abandoned for 4 years and think hey I never got a chance to drive that so lets save that car! okay, do you have any money to tow it out of that ditch? no. Do you have any money to buy new parts that don't exist anymore? no. Do you know anything about rebuilding or refurbishing a classic car? no. Do you have someone to sell the cal to after we fix it up? no. Well then maybe we should just let it sit there and rot, okay? good idea.

The whole sell it to an engineering school thing sounds like a good idea, but have you ever actually been to engineering school? I have, and I cant imagine how a wooden coaster would have benefited my engineering school experience that much. yeah it would have been a lot of fun, but way more expensive that its worth, and really not that useful in teaching engineering concepts. Yeah you can illustrate some physics and structures and some other stuff with it, but so can a 50 dollar text book and a field trip which after i do the math is a lot less that the hundreds of thousands of dollars to operate and maintain a working wooden coaster. Just because you learn about the mechanics of jet engines and propulsion and lift and drag doesn't mean your school needs to buy an F-15 to teach lab class in.