TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Leave it to the coaster nerds to have more discussion about a mid course break run than a brand new launched B&M wingrider on the opening day of the new coaster.....

Yeah I thought the thread will be filled with reviews, POVs, pictures and many happy riders... but it's all about The Voyage's brake run.

This thread is All about them brakes, them brakes, and no Thunderbird........

I'll stop, my internet privlidges have hereby been revoked.

Well also, there's only sooooooooo many ways we can say "THAT LOOKS AWESOME I WANNA RIDE IT" though I do

Leave it to the coaster nerds to have more discussion about a mid course break run than a brand new launched B&M wingrider on the opening day of the new coaster.....

I feel 0% bad about it I've said my 2 cents and then some, more like a quarter, about how awesome it looks and that it's enough to drag me 13 hours out there, so cmon let me vent : P

This thread is All about them brakes, them brakes, and no Thunderbird........

I'll stop, my internet privlidges have hereby been revoked.

Well also, there's only sooooooooo many ways we can say "THAT LOOKS AWESOME I WANNA RIDE IT" though I do

I feel 0% bad about it I've said my 2 cents and then some, more like a quarter, about how awesome it looks and that it's enough to drag me 13 hours out there, so cmon let me vent : P

I thought this was the Holiday World Discussion thread. Anyway, yes, Thunderbird looks like a great fit for the park and is going to bring in a lot of guests. It's nice to see B&M do an LSM launch, and the ride itself looks very complete.

OK I've been bad enough, I'm done.

I've not ridden any but just from layout, and now POV and original reactions from people, this looks like it may be the best wing rider yet. The launch adds something to it I think, it feels a little more like you're flying!

Thunderbird looks awesome by the way, can't wait to check it out soon. Love the whole area around it, when it was first announced it "seemed" like that area was so far way from everything but the whole thing just looks amazing. Great job Holiday World

Because I'm positive a majority of coaster enthusiasts care more about Voyage than Thunderbird on any given day.

I am anxious to hear more reviews from those who rode Thunderbird, though.

I was expecting (and hoping) that this thread would be exploding with things about Thunderbird as well! I suppose that's because only those with access to the media day went since the park still has yet to open to the public. There's also tomorrow for season passholders to try it out, so we'll be hearing from them as well.

Thunderbird does look fun! I can't wait to try it out, it seems everyone that had tried it today don't have anything negative to say about it!

... well, that is until the "real" enthusiasts try it out!

Here's my full review of the ride. I'll post a TR later:

My my what a ride. After speaking with other people who had been on many of the other wing coasters, it's safe to say Thunderbird is the cream of the crop. The launch, while not extremely intense, is really fun going straight into the immelmann. The loop was pretty forceful and the figure-eight section by the Voyage was really good. While nothing too memorable, I enjoyed the zero-g roll and its placement in the ride. After a quick s-turn, the fly-through barn approaches. The helix (carousel, whatever) provides good positive G's and the inline roll has LOTS of hang time. The near misses of the barn are very well-orchestrated. I spoke briefly with President Eckert about the ride. While he prefaced with saying that he may be biased, he thinks it's the best coaster Holiday World could've asked for. He said that it combines the best elements of a B&M wing coaster and does it better. I have to agree with this and his opinion of what side is better, which is the Front Left (although the right side seems to have a slightly better launch into the immelmann).

You can call me out about being biased or a fanboy with Holiday World being my home park, but I truly believe Thunderbird is a fantastic ride and it exceeded many expectations. Congratulations to Holiday World for such an awesome addition. Will Koch would be so proud.

Ok so I just left the park. For those of you wanting video and pictures I took TONS. But to be honest during the downtime I did have I didn't really feel like fiddling with my phone uploading and and typing long reviews, lol. I promise tomorrow I will spend more time on that. But I'm so tired now that you won't get much from me tonight.

Thunderbird ... And that whole plaza is just unreal. It's something you have to see in person to really appreciate it all. Locating it where they did was the PERFECTA choice and the colors and theming are second to none. They pulled out all the stops on this one. As I was walking back to Thunderbird from the Raven I walked and talked to Matt quite a bit. He said it turned out better than their wildest dreams. And that makes sense because as fanboy as I was about it before hand, and even I wasn't expecting it to be this awesome. The near misses and keyholes are just incredible. And that 0 G barrel roll at the end.... WOW! The speed of the coaster, the placement, and pacing of all the elements were SPOT ON! If you don't feel anything on Thunderbird, you need to be checked out by a doctor, lol.

During the behind the scenes walk back (which was my first ever, and EPIC) one of the guides said that they are already working on "the next thing"... Amazing to me. I'm still trying to digest THIS thing, lol.

Also, Thunderbird ice cream is FANTASTIC! Pick it up if you have it available to you. Also for lunch we got to try either the smoked BBQ, or the chicken friend steak that will be in The Smokehouse. My brother tried the BBQ and raved about how amazing it was. I had the chicken fried steak and it too was amazing.

Heyena Falls really does seem out of place right now but I know that they have future plans so that's whatever. This last thing, and I'm sure having a stroke a year and a half ago has a lot to do with this, but the walk all the way back to Thunderbird is just super long and hilly. I think it's time they seriously consider some kind of transport to the rear of the park... Or maybe even opening a 2nd entrance on that end of the park.

Over all it was an EPIC day. The Holiday World people were just amazing! So kind, friendly, approachable... What you would expect. Also the media and other invited guests were also a blast! Super fun chatting with people from all over. The general consensus from those I spoke too seemed to be that Thunderbird was WAY better than they thought it would be. That's about all I have for you all right now. More to come in the next few days!

Well, theming gets many plus marks from me, so I'm very interested to see how well it was all done whenever I get out to the park this year! I'm also excited for Holiwood Nights for night rides, which I am finally confirmed for!

Alright so I am dropping weight and on a calorie

Counting diet. I am 5'11 and am under 260 at this point getting into the lower 250s now. I was at one point last year on the 270s and made it on every ride at Cedar Point but mantis, and everything I wanted or tried at Kings Island. I fit on Gatekeeper in row 4 no problem and Banshee in every row. Will I have an issue with Thunderbird if I go Sunday morning. I can't make it to Holidog nights. I am going to Disneyland for the 24 hour event and can't get off that much work. I live in Indiana but it is a 3 hour drive. Thanks!

I've been watching the POV on repeat for about an hour now. This looks so good. Only a month to go now until Holiwood Nights! Since this will be my first visit to the park, I'm encouraged to hear that the trims will be turned off for the Voyage. That coaster was never enough by itself to get me to take the 6-hour trip, but with two amazing coasters, I'm there. I think honestly I'm equally excited for both Voyage and Thunderbird.

Thunderbird looks awesome by the way, can't wait to check it out soon. Love the whole area around it, when it was first announced it "seemed" like that area was so far way from everything but the whole thing just looks amazing. Great job Holiday World

Because I'm positive a majority of coaster enthusiasts care more about Voyage than Thunderbird on any given day.

I am anxious to hear more reviews from those who rode Thunderbird, though.

What are anticipated waits for this? I waited 3 hours for Banshee opening day and I think I was a lucky one. Obviously Sunday will be day two for this one.

I went on Voyage opening day and crowds were light. With HW not being as centrally located as Kings Island, it doesn't attract the same amount of crowds earlier in the season. Early season at HW is always pretty light. Don't expect 3 hours. I don't think I've ever waited more than an hour for a coaster at Holiday World.