TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, prozach626 said:

We're gong Thursday, June 29th, and Friday 30th. July 4th is Tuesday. How fucked are we with crowds?

I was at Holiday World on Friday, July 1st last year and didn't encounter any substantial lines.  Here's my report from last year.

I opened the park with Voyage (14 minute wait for the front), then did Thunderbird (15 minute wait for the front), then ducked into the water park where the waits for the water coasters were in the 10-15 minute range (admittedly using the single-rider line).  When I came back to the rides, I had a two-train wait for the front row of Raven, a walk on to Howler (the kiddie coaster), and a three-train wait for the front row of Legend.

None of the other lines seemed to be substantial either, and it was an absolutely beautiful day.

I think you'll be fine.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, anonymouscactus said:

Holiday World is now selling beer, wine, and frozen cocktails!

Screenshot_20230602-152610.thumb.png.64e4322cb8e484afdaa8f87df5d884d5.png

There goes the neighborhood.

The Voyage right now is crazy good. I think most anyone could marathon this thing easily now.  New track work and prefab pieces make it far less headache inducing.  It's incredible how well it's running now days.

The Legend is also still running like a champ from last year's work on it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tndank said:

The Voyage right now is crazy good. I think most anyone could marathon this thing easily now.  New track work and prefab pieces make it far less headache inducing.  It's incredible how well it's running now days.

Completely agree. The ride is running fantastic, despite only getting 2 rides in yesterday (one near front, one near back). That will change today, going to get a bunch in since I'm going to focus on Voyage and Thunderbird (which I haven't been on yet this trip) today.

I rode Raven ~15 times yesterday in the dark but there's one small dip near the end that jostled me quite a bit each time but other than that I thought it was great as well. Not the same smoothness but not enough roughness to give me a headache after that many rides :)

Edited by anonymouscactus

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2023 at 4:44 PM, anonymouscactus said:

Holiday World is now selling beer, wine, and frozen cocktails!

Screenshot_20230602-152610.thumb.png.64e4322cb8e484afdaa8f87df5d884d5.png

This is amazing news! It will be a new profit generator for the park, plus a way for them to finally make money on beverages (I assume there’s no free refills on the alcohol but if there is, let me know and I’ll be purchasing a season pass immediately). 

• Haha 2

I just saw a commercial and maybe it's just me but HW world just doesn't seem as special not seeing like a Koch family member in the commercials or whatever.... just seems like that part of the appeal of it and being family owned takes a little bit from it? I dunno, shrugs.

Redevelopment finally happening at the old Pilgrim’s Plunge/Giraffica location, AND Raging Rapids closing? The park stated, “After 33 years and millions of happy memories, Raging Rapids has officially retired. We know this attraction means a lot to our Guests, and it does to us too. While this may feel like an ending, it’s just the beginning. We intend to return the sound of laughter to Boulder Canyon as soon as we possibly can.” 

Could the vision behind these two locations be connected? I imagine at least one of the two locations will remain a water ride, but which one, or both? Notice that they do not specify that the replacement for Raging Rapids is coming next year, nor do they say that it will be a water ride that comes to Boulder Canyon. It could be a new midway in Boulder canyon with flat rides, they could extend Fourth of July down the hill and use that space as well, and it could be a new spot for a roller coaster. If it is a coaster, I am mainly imagining either a Mack Rides LSM (Helix and Blue Fire) or a Vekoma (Big Bear Mountain). It is also possible it could be an RMC, either single rail or hybrid. 

It makes sense that their next addition is a coaster, and with the development of the PP location happening, signs point to one there, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they try to find a way to put a big draw over in 4th of July (or a new themed area off of 4th of July). It’s the only corner of the park without a roller coaster or water coaster, and it would help to spread the crowds more while breathing new life into the area. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 10:58 AM, tndank said:

The Legend is also still running like a champ from last year's work on it. 

Maybe the Voyage will finally take back the number one spot. It’s been number two on and off for a minute (and is better than Phoenix, as is El Toro and Boulder Dash). We won’t know for a while but we can cross our fingers! 

5 minutes ago, prozach626 said:

"Laughs" Doesn't signal a large thrilling roller coaster.

It points towards a family ride of some variation to me, but that could still be something like Big Bear Mountain. But I do agree that it doesn’t point towards a thrill coaster like an RMC or other manufacturer, as much as I’d love it to. Plus, the park is currently missing a step between the Howler and the Raven. 

It appears that it likely will be a Vekoma Family Boomerang! I am gonna be completely honest, this model had slipped my mind previously, but it sounds like an intriguing addition to their lineup. I wonder if they’ll get an existing layout and model, or if it will be a custom layout. So if this is true, which it seems it is, does the coaster get built at the old PP or RR spot? It seems likely that it will be the PP location since there’s action happening there, but the announcement of RR closing this week coupled with this new development does make me wonder if that is connected instead. We’ll see soon! 

BB113B59-E81D-42BB-9D58-385B923DBAE2.jpeg

9C4D33BD-1E1B-4A4A-B4D8-01B1E03800AB.jpeg

DEAA3943-16EF-4089-A724-24305A15CC27.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

We went to the park a week or so for a two day trip. HW is great for families. I was never much of a fan going with just my wife and I in the past, but HW offers so much for kids.

The only roller coaster I rode was Howler, which was our daughter's first roller coaster. Not a good starter... It was jerky and uncomfortable as hell. As soon as it stopped she was trying to get off. "I like it, but it's scary and I don't want to ride again." Fair review.

I guess this kiddie coaster will be one of many "new credits" I will get, since I didn't whore them as a grown man. I made a sign out of a standard sheet of notebook paper and magic marker that said "#1" and "First roller coaster," so Eve could hold it while we took a picture. The employees and other families on the train were excited for her. I resisted the urge to say something like she had about 200'ish to go until she caught up. (because no one cares) Self control. 

Speaking of self control, the only two places that sell booze are a stand by the wave pool in the water park, and from what I was told, the restaurant in the Thanksgiving section. They had standard canned domestic beer, along with basic margaritas and a couple other cocktails. It made it way less worth it to drink. I only started midway through the day on our second day, after Eve pissed herself in the food court in front of everyone. Just when you think you're potty trained... Anyway, it was a hike across the park every time we wanted a drink. That's smart. Makes it a lot harder for people to get loaded, and we only had a few drinks in a few hours. Not even worth it, in retrospect.

The place had a couple good shows for kids. There was some kind of Holidog dance party where the staff threw out beach balls hula-hoops, and other crap for the kids to use to participate. She met Holidog, the alligator, and the eagle. In one of SEVERAL kids water areas, they had a dance party where the kids did limbo with the actors, there were foam cannons, and and it was genuinely a good time drinking a shitty weak margarita and watching it play out.

nother thing to add, the massive indoor restaurant near the front was awesome. There was a lot to choose from and I didn't expect to be able to snag chicken breasts and a salad. There were several healthy(er) options to choose from, and the food was decent. 

I didn't ride anything by myself. Thunder bird was my only temptation, but I didn't want to cut away from my family. It was too much fun watching Eve exhaust herself. She's now obsessed with log flumes, despite only riding it once. That, and every hill we go on in the car is now a roller coaster hill.

Our two-day trip to SDC should be fun in a couple weeks. We also booked a trip to SFGam in August. Eve will be up to four parks and six roller coasters by the end of the year. Holiday World is a fantastic jumping off point to get your kid into this sort of thing. I finally get the true appeal they're going for.  My only head scratcher is her not being tall enough to ride Gobbler's Getaway, yet she can ride things like Sparkler and Log Flume. Oh well. Not my park, not my rules.

We grabbed a Holidog stuffed animal on the way out, because I buy our child too much shit. He's still a favorite around the house, though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, prozach626 said:

My only head scratcher is her not being tall enough to ride Gobbler's Getaway, yet she can ride things like Sparkler and Log Flume. Oh well. Not my park, not my rules.

If there was ever a time for the shrug emoji, this is definitely it.  Tall enough for a 65 foot tall StarFlyer, but not for a slow-moving dark ride.  🤷‍♂️   Quite odd indeed.  

Nice TR.  It's been 17 years since I have been to HW.  I think I need to get back there again sometime soon.

On 7/14/2023 at 10:34 AM, prozach626 said:

My only head scratcher is her not being tall enough to ride Gobbler's Getaway, yet she can ride things like Sparkler and Log Flume. Oh well. Not my park, not my rules.

Anybody can ride that can support themselves upright (ie: no handheld infants) as long as they are with a supervising companion (16+)  (they have to be in the same seat which holds two across). Just need to be 42" to ride without a companion to be with you.

• Like 1