TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I last visited in 2017, and I remember the park closing ride queues a good bit of time before the park actually closes. I will be visiting this coming weekend and was curious if they still did that. I can't really remember what time they would close the queues either... Is there a general rule of thumb to go by to help make sure I make it into the queue before it closes?

10 hours ago, DoinItForTheFame said:

Thinking of heading to the park this coming Saturday!! What type of crowds should I expect?? 

Usually the dry side is busy for the first hour until the waterpark opens and then the crowd moves into the waterpark. the dry side then almost empties out and doesn't get busy until the waterpark closes.

• 2 months later...

We were at the park yesterday. We had actually never been there when the water park wasn't open and we had a fun day but for me personally I'm not sure if the 6 hour round trip was worth it without the water park rides. There was a point for a couple hours in the late afternoon when we were just kind of killing time waiting for dark; BUT if you have younger kids then it would be totally worth it to go. Lots of kids in their costumes which was very cute, trick or treating for them in the water park entrance plaza, corn maze/hay ride, a couple cute shows that kids could enjoy and 3 very family friendly haunted houses. 

The decorations/landscaping was all seasonal and made the park look extra nice and there were some extra eating choices with the seasonal food offerings. It was a beautiful day to hang out at a park. and as usual the park looked great. It was very crowded and Legend was down. I know it was reported down over the summer but I'm not sure if it has been closed all the time or if this was a more recent closure, but I can tell you that there were no trains in the maintenance shed or the station and it was dead there. In fact squirrels were playing on the lift hill, so I guess it's been quiet for a while. Unfortunately, that was one less major ride to disperse the large crowd. 

Voyage gave us the smoothest ride we've ever had on it, I'm guessing the cooler temps slowed it just enough to smooth it out but not so much that it wasn't still hauling ass. We got a very epic night ride on Voyage that legit gives the Beast some serious competition for best night ride. Also got a night ride on TB which was great too.

They did close many of the lines 15-30 min before close, which is normal for Voyage. No complaints I understand why, just be aware if you go. We tried to get a night ride on Raven on the way out but missed the line closure by probably a few minutes. This applies to some of the flats and kid's rides as well so prepare your young'uns for that if you take them and plan accordingly. 

They were working on the rapids ride and ended up opening it late afternoon, but there was no way I was getting wet when it was around 60 degrees, lol, but I did see some people ride it. 

If any of you have little kids and are wondering how they will react to Halloween stuff, this would be a good intro for them.

Oh and they have, like many other parks, switched over to the seamless walk through at security instead of searching every dang bag and making you take out keys and phones, which makes it all go so much faster. That is one change brought on by the pandemic that I hope will stay.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Question for anyone who has gone to the park on one of the "school days" and/or any employees lurking on the board. We are planning on stopping by on Thursday 5/19 which I believe is the first of the school days. We'll be on our way to CoasterStock and want to take THE one and only Bert425 since he's never been to the park. However, I've never been there on a school days day. I suspect that all the kiddoes will be coming in on their big ole busses first thing at opening and as the afternoon drags on it will slowly dissipate. Anyone with experience know if that is true? And/or how swarmed are they likely to be? And/or any other info you can tell us? Our priority will of course be the 4 coasters, maybe the big 3 water park rides, a few flats if they aren't overrun with kids.

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2022 at 1:48 PM, teacherkim said:

Question for anyone who has gone to the park on one of the "school days" and/or any employees lurking on the board. We are planning on stopping by on Thursday 5/19 which I believe is the first of the school days. We'll be on our way to CoasterStock and want to take THE one and only Bert425 since he's never been to the park. However, I've never been there on a school days day. I suspect that all the kiddoes will be coming in on their big ole busses first thing at opening and as the afternoon drags on it will slowly dissipate. Anyone with experience know if that is true? And/or how swarmed are they likely to be? And/or any other info you can tell us? Our priority will of course be the 4 coasters, maybe the big 3 water park rides, a few flats if they aren't overrun with kids.

I can't speak for Holiday World but I know the school days at Six Flags are generally one of the absolute worst times to visit.  They're pretty crowded, the kids generally have minimal to no supervision, line jumping is rampant, etc.

2 hours ago, KBrylczyk said:

I can't speak for Holiday World but I know the school days at Six Flags are generally one of the absolute worst times to visit.  They're pretty crowded, the kids generally have minimal to no supervision, line jumping is rampant, etc.

I get that, remember retired teacher here.......but most Six Flags parks are in major metropolitan areas with thousands of schools within 60 minutes. HW is in the middle of a cornfield and other than Evanstan which is pretty small the closest cities are Evansville and Louisville,  both about an hour (which would be a 2 hr round trip for a school field trip) and several dinky little towns within that hour. Indianapolis and St Louis are too far for a school trip. Maybe Bowling Green but that would be a 3 hour round trip, pushing it. Now I get that it is a smaller park than most SF parks and so proportion of crowd to ride is a major factor here. Anyway that is why I was asking specifically for HW as I am trying to gage how big a crowd this will be and if we will be better toward the end of the day as I suspect.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does Holiday World & Splashin Safari allow swimming goggles on the Water Coasters?

I wear contacts, and am COMPLETELY blind without them.   

I almost never do waterparks, because the water kicks up and gets in my eyes on slides. . but I've been told the water coasters here are not to be missed.

So my only options are to keep my eyes closed the whole time (what's the point then?) or wear swimming goggles while riding the water coasters.

I know most parks wont allow swim goggles on the slides. . .but Water Coasters aren't really slides.

soo.......   does anyone know?

Thanks!

15 hours ago, bert425 said:

but I've been told the water coasters here are not to be missed.

You weren't lied to, that's for sure.  I can't help but laugh the entire time I'm riding them.  Mammoth is especially fun when the forced spinning comes into play about halfway through the course. 

17 hours ago, bert425 said:

Does Holiday World & Splashin Safari allow swimming goggles on the Water Coasters?

I wear contacts, and am COMPLETELY blind without them.   

I almost never do waterparks, because the water kicks up and gets in my eyes on slides. . but I've been told the water coasters here are not to be missed.

So my only options are to keep my eyes closed the whole time (what's the point then?) or wear swimming goggles while riding the water coasters.

I know most parks wont allow swim goggles on the slides. . .but Water Coasters aren't really slides.

soo.......   does anyone know?

Thanks!

I'm sure you can Bert. I've worn just a regular pair of sunglasses without a strap of any kind, just to keep the worst of the water out of my eyes, many times and no one has ever said a word to me. You can wear water shoes too. They really are great rides.. .... I'll get the suburban mom pool bag and a couple beach towells ready to go for your trip. 

^ Just asking, but ... when does a birthday equal being a holiday?

I think they'd be more into National/Worldwide Holidays, etc.

Hmmm. Maybe an Easter Land, perhaps? Bunnies, bunnies everywhere, Bwah - Ah - Ahhhhh. 🐇

Or you were kidding all along, darnya!