TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Adventureland (Iowa) Discussion Thread

I did some research into this ride, and I'm of the opinion that Adventureland was extremely neglectful of its operating condition and had established no procedures for a water rescue in the area where the raft overturned even though they knew rafts being stranded there after a ride stop was possible

https://medium.com/@spennydc/lack-of-maintenance-and-disregard-for-industry-recommended-safety-procedures-may-have-contributed-bfe6a22cd232

• Like 2

On 7/21/2021 at 3:32 PM, RaccHudson said:

I did some research into this ride, and I'm of the opinion that Adventureland was extremely neglectful of its operating condition and had established no procedures for a water rescue in the area where the raft overturned even though they knew rafts being stranded there after a ride stop was possible

https://medium.com/@spennydc/lack-of-maintenance-and-disregard-for-industry-recommended-safety-procedures-may-have-contributed-bfe6a22cd232

that's some really interesting stuff you've pointed out. i don't know exactly how you could do it, but i think contacting local media or investigative parties would be a good idea

also, i've been saying that the next ride to go will be the falling star, but it's unfortunate that i was proven wrong. there's no way they can reopen the rr after all of this (especially if what racc has claimed holds up)

Wow, what a rambling series of disconnected thoughts. Paragraph upon paragraph describing Google Earth images. This is not "research." There is nothing firsthand in the entire article. The author read some articles and used some mapping programs and wrote about an Internet search. Nowhere in this entire piece is there any original reporting or any actual journalism. It's sensationalism. Moving on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

Wow, what a rambling series of disconnected thoughts. Paragraph upon paragraph describing Google Earth images. This is not "research." There is nothing firsthand in the entire article. The author read some articles and used some mapping programs and wrote about an Internet search. Nowhere in this entire piece is there any original reporting or any actual journalism. It's sensationalism. Moving on.

Am I wrong about the water level being too high tho

10 hours ago, ytterbiumanalyst said:

Can't you at least be a little constructive with your criticism? He clearly put a lot of work into that, and it's obviously okay if you think it's crap but that's a bit harsh no? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

On 7/23/2021 at 1:52 AM, RaccHudson said:

Probably.  I don't see how that statement is verified based on your facts.   Just because there is water visible in an area in drain condition in an aerial doesn't mean it could not be 3" of standing water and the drain is functioning.  This is kind of dangerous extrapolation without the facts or expertise (or ability to accurately verify that information) before putting it out there and drawing strong conclusions. Written very artfully and dramatically without any legs.  Extra points for sneaking in a political bias based on irrelevant donor information. 

• Like 3

On 7/23/2021 at 1:52 AM, RaccHudson said:

This is nothing but opinion based on my own experience.  I worked Grizzly Run at GL for 4 seasons.  We had rafts flip a few times, never with guests (while I worked there).  They would only flip when water levels were too low.  Causing the raft to hit the bottom or something and flip.  

Again, not stating that what occurred on one ride 20 years ago is the same cause that occurred on this ride. Just my first had experience from being an operator of a raft ride. 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 8:03 PM, wingsofmelody said:

also, i've been saying that the next ride to go will be the falling star, but it's unfortunate that i was proven wrong. there's no way they can reopen the rr after all of this (especially if what racc has claimed holds up)

Some grammar would help here, then this post might be taken a bit more seriously... At the end of the day, whether or not a ride is economically feasible to operate will be the deciding factor on if it is closed or not; barring a legal reason.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

^ They removed three large, adult-friendly flat rides to replace them with multiple kiddie flats.  Hardly an improvement, IMO. 

Also, they just killed a kid. I'm not exactly hyped about a visit to this place.  Give them some more time and we'll have a new Mount Olympus.

• Like 3

While I'm not completely a fan of removing 3 thrill rides in favor of mostly children's rides, considering how much open land they have within the park, I can't say that it's completely a bad move. They really didn't have a ton of children's rides. And the few they do have seem to be down for maintenance more than actually running. I'm mostly sad to lose Falling Star as that was a surprisingly fun ride and one of the last remaining. Though, I'm quite a fan of the placement of the new Rockin' Rainbow ride. Having a wave swinger right at the end of their main street area will look incredible. It's no giant castle or anything, but it's certainly better than the giant plot of nothingness that sits there now. 

• Like 2

This is a great addition! I know this seems kinda sucky at first, but looking through the Facebook comments, the feedback amongst the general public is overwhelmingly positive! Frankly, the park didn't have a whole lot of just kiddie rides. Before this expansion, they only had 10 rides for the little ones. Now they'll have 17! Though I will say, the mini pirate ship to put next to the regular-sized one is a bit redundant. It does suck that three adult rides are being removed for 7 kiddie rides and one adult flat ride, but they were three rides that were getting too costly and near impossible to maintain. Overall, this is a great addition for the park and it is incredibly impressive that in the past ten years, the park has added essentially an entire waterpark, three new coasters, one major new thrill ride, one family-thrill ride, and then 9 new kiddie rides, two of which being included in a new family area. Adventureland really is kicking it into high gear with Lost Island opening up a couple hours away. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 2:23 PM, KBrylczyk said:

Give them some more time and we'll have a new Mount Olympus.

You say that like it's a bad thing! 😂 

My kids and I hit up both parks last year for our first time at each park, and we loved (yes, you read that word right), both of them! 😀 We can't  wait to return to both parks in the future!

20 hours ago, DILinator said:

You say that like it's a bad thing! 😂 

My kids and I hit up both parks last year for our first time at each park, and we loved (yes, you read that word right), both of them! 😀 We can't  wait to return to both parks in the future!

We also visited both for the first time last year and loved both!

• Like 1