TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom Discussion Thread

p. 148 - Magic Kingdom Destination D23 news roundup!

15 minutes ago, mikeykaise said:

This whole WD CEO is turning into a soap opera... now the CFO who helped to get the former CEO fired is rumored to be the new CEO in 2025... what a power play on her part!

2+ years is a lot of time, especially in the business world.  Don't get too excited just yet

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Walt Disney World Railroad is reopening soon, and when it reopens, it will have brand new enhancements!

image.thumb.png.5e7fc6e59317b2a1b4646f12a5db344c.png

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2022/12/walt-disney-world-railroad-returns-with-all-new-voiceover/?fbclid=IwAR2lHmwrUOWSTOEKFVLwaSNUEDXp3uF4CMhNfG0-fqlt-MWvw24ob2OXf1c

Cast members and Imagineers are celebrating a moment of nostalgia at Magic Kingdom Park this week as we prepare to welcome guests aboard the Walt Disney World Railroad once again for the holiday season. This opening-day attraction returns with a completely refreshed track looping the park, and another new surprise for fans and first-comers alike.

Not only did this historic train undergo track updates and maintenance—as 100-year-old vintage steam trains do—the creative minds at Walt Disney Imagineering also seized this moment to revisit the narration and introduce an all-new voice to bring guests into the beloved stories they encounter as they travel from one magical land to the next. “The familiar whistle of its steam engine will be complemented by exciting new sounds and voices,” the team of Imagineers shared. “A new conductor has assumed the role, carrying on the long tradition of warm welcomes and amusing anecdotes while adding fresh commentary and story to the journey.”

The creative voiceover process is as detailed as the train operation itself, and it all starts with our conductor. For these meticulously restored steam trains, we know the scenic grand circle tour must be guided by a voice our guests can envision and resonate with. Someone who grew up on Main Street, U.S.A., dreaming of the day they’d be on the railroad. They’ve now achieved that dream, and they know everyone and everything at Magic Kingdom … an unofficial mayor of sorts. This conductor is humble, genial, and knowledgeable, and he’s eager to help passengers of these iconic steam trains get to their destinations around the park he loves so dearly.

While our conductor points you to the familiar sights on your left and right, we embrace what makes Magic Kingdom a place unlike any other, where you can escape into completely new worlds and celebrate with characters you love. This legacy attraction now holds true the very nostalgia of opening day and blends it with the wonder of new adventures, immersing you into story after story as it loops around the park. You may even encounter a character or two along the way!

image.thumb.png.31357139865cd92a588db55281fc5d3f.png

• Like 2

It's hard to tell with the wording of the article, but is the conductor going to be a Disney character like Mickey or are they just getting some nice, smooth-talking voice actor to be a new character in the Disney universe?

6 hours ago, tinaalsgirl said:

....do you think it's possible they've used Respeecher and the Conductor is Walt Disney?

Just watched a video of the new train ride... Thankfully, my feelings were wrong. I'm not sure who is voicing the Conductor, but it's a really friendly, kind voice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Disney has announced that Happy Ever After (and EPCOT Forever) will return starting on April 3rd!

image.png.e3f3d887190a4d6aa06ae362ab200388.png

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2023/01/whats-next-for-walt-disney-world-nighttime-spectaculars/

Fan-favorite nighttime spectacular “Happily Ever After” returns to Magic Kingdom Park on April 3, featuring all-new projections down Main Street, U.S.A. “Disney Enchantment” will be offered through April 2. Whether it’s your first time, or the park is your home away from home, get ready to reach out and find your happily ever after with us at Cinderella Castle soon.

And as we shared at D23 Expo in September, an all-new nighttime spectacular is planned to debut at EPCOT later this year. Before the new show launches, we will bring back “EPCOT Forever” as an interim show over the skies of World Showcase Lagoon starting April 3. Similar to how it appeared in 2021, “EPCOT Forever” is the perfect offering while our Entertainment team preps the Lagoon, including a phased removal of fireworks platforms following the final “Harmonious” performance on April 2. A limited-time spectacle of lasers, lighting, special effects, and fireworks, “EPCOT Forever” returns with a collection of songs that offer both a trip down memory lane and a look toward the future.

And right off the heels of the Happily Ever Ever announcement - Tron Lightcycle Run will be opening on April 4th!

image.thumb.png.77f5702286f58986d16a30c02e004da7.png

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2023/01/tron-lightcycle-run-opens-april-4-at-magic-kingdom-park/?CMP=SOC-DPFY23Q2wo0105230024H

From Steven Miller at Disney:

Greetings, Programs! I’ve loved “TRON” since first discovering this digital world as a child in the 1980s. Imagine my delight when asked to write about the thrilling new attraction racing into Walt Disney World Resort – TRON Lightcycle / Run presented by Enterprise. If this article was turned into a major motion picture, the opening narration might sound something like this (cue synthesizer):

“TRON Lightcycle / Run. A new attraction. I tried to picture Lightcycles as they moved through the Grid in Tomorrowland. What did they look like? Were they fast? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I’d never see. Until April 4, 2023 – the day TRON Lightcycle / Run will officially open in Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort.”

I haven’t felt this excited since I saw a Lightcycle from “TRON: Legacy” on display at the D23 Expo in 2009.

When “TRON: Legacy” was released in December 2010, I saw it five times in theaters followed by countless viewings at home on Blu-ray and Disney+. I even named my tuxedo cat Kevin Flynn, a nod to the brilliant computer programmer and original designer of the Grid in the film. The Lightcycle battle was one of the film’s most dazzling visual displays – I wanted to ride one! More than a decade later, that dream is coming true with this attraction’s opening at Walt Disney World.

The story of TRON Lightcycle / Run picks up after “TRON: Legacy” where Kevin’s son, Sam Flynn, has opened a second gateway into a digital realm called the Grid. The first of these portals he created is found at Shanghai Disneyland with the original TRON Lightcycle Power Run.

When you enter the queue at Magic Kingdom, you’ll feel as if you’re digitized and transported to the Grid for a special Lightcycle race. It’s your Team Blue against the Grid’s menacing Programs, Team Orange. Your goal is to be the first to race through eight Energy Gates and secure victory. The attraction will be one of the fastest coasters at any Disney theme park in the world.

Before the attraction officially opens, cast members will be the first to enter the Grid during special previews. And I heard preview opportunities are coming for guests too, including Annual Passholders and eligible Disney Vacation Club Members.

All those hours (and quarters) playing the “TRON” arcade game have prepared me for this moment. See you in the Grid. END OF LINE.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, coasterbill said:

I really liked Harmonious a lot so that's kind-of a shame, but we got Happily Ever After back so I can't possibly not be happy about this news.

Agreed. The mortar shots around the lagoon combined with the cannons off the taco arms were fantastic IMO. But I think the failure of the daytime fountains made them want to remove the visual of the tacos and Stargate.

5 hours ago, Haymaker said:

Did you seriously think that was a legitimate news site?

With all of the lunacy coming out of Florida's government recently, can you blame anyone for falling for it?  This story is absolutely right in line with DeSantis' playbook and will probably give him the idea to do it for real.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

20 hours ago, Haymaker said:

Did you seriously think that was a legitimate news site?

Wishful thinking?  I realize that I live in the state trying to ban gas stoves and cars, but that makes me really need other states to do something more stupid so I can feel better.  I just went into Rite Aid and realized they can't even sell menthol cigarettes in our state any longer.  Just good old fashioned tobacco flavor even in vapes that don't contain tobacco.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2023 at 6:46 AM, AmyUD06 said:

With all of the lunacy coming out of Florida's government recently, can you blame anyone for falling for it?  This story is absolutely right in line with DeSantis' playbook and will probably give him the idea to do it for real.

Steve Brule K GIF

The ride needed some sprucing up. I  hope the change will be good. I'm not always terribly impressed with Disney's recent attractions... But I'm sure they will do a good job. 

Really sad to see it go. This ride meant a lot to me when I was little. Love the theming and music, brings me back to those 2 hour queues in the summer with my family (many of which have since passed). So many great memories. 

6 hours ago, BotanicalStig said:

The ride needed some sprucing up. I  hope the change will be good. I'm not always terribly impressed with Disney's recent attractions... But I'm sure they will do a good job. 

Which attractions recently are you not impressed with?  Between Tron, Guardians, Runaway Railway, Ratatouille, Rise, Avatar, etc. that's kind of a crazy impressive list!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SharkTums said:

Which attractions recently are you not impressed with?  Between Tron, Guardians, Runaway Railway, Ratatouille, Rise, Avatar, etc. that's kind of a crazy impressive list!

Ratatouille is at the bottom for me, but thats because it makes me sick! Lol

I'd throw FOP in there as recent too, and as an all timer for quality.

I'm a huge Splash Mountain fan but I'm optimistic. Like Elissa said, everything they've built lately has been good. I'm mostly just bummed that it will be closed for 1-2 years and that you'll probably spend a year after that needing a boarding group for Splash Mountain. 😂

We got our last ride in the day before it closed. Saturday was mostly normal crowd-wise aside from the penny press lines. We pulled a lightning lane about 2 hours before park close for an hour out. I guess one day before closing wasn't good enough for most people as the hordes of humanity showed up on Sunday, We went to SeaWorld. Screw that.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Early reports from cast previews have some news about Tron being very size restrictive, even more than FoP in some people's opinions. There are non-cycle seats at the back of the train for handicapped guests, but apparently that line is getting severely impacted by able-bodied folks who just don't fit.  And not every train has these alternate seats, so it can cause a significant extra wait.

Just something to be aware of if you're planning a visit.

On 2/5/2023 at 4:32 AM, CedarFlags said:

Early reports from cast previews have some news about Tron being very size restrictive, even more than FoP in some people's opinions.

Why is this suddenly a thing for rides that have been around a while? I've seen more news articles on this issue this week than in my whole life. Is it because these rides originated in Asia? (Mario Kart from Japan and Tron from Shanghai). I know Asia can have pretty low limits, I've seen water slides here in Korea with a 90kg weight limit per rider.

On 2/5/2023 at 4:32 AM, CedarFlags said:

There are non-cycle seats at the back of the train for handicapped guests, but apparently that line is getting severely impacted by able-bodied folks who just don't fit.  And not every train has these alternate seats, so it can cause a significant extra wait.

Disney's policy is disabled guests have to wait the posted queue time before boarding right? Hopefully they then get priority on those seats. I know some B&M coasters have big boy seats, but I've never heard of a park doubling the accessible seats for that role as well.

2 hours ago, Garet said:

Why is this suddenly a thing for rides that have been around a while? I've seen more news articles on this issue this week than in my whole life.

I would take all of this with a grain of salt. One person can post about it being restrictive on Twitter and there are endless horrible clickbait Disney blogs and YouTube sites that will cite that one tweet and make it a huge news story.

Whenever Disney opens anything, there are hundreds of “articles” from sites like this finding some major flaw and then 99% of the time you never hear about it again because it’s not actually a big deal. Remember the “Skyliner doesn’t have air conditioning!” articles? When was the last time you saw anyone care?

I’m not saying that this issue isn’t legitimate, but let’s wait and see. I have a suspicion that this is probably overblown.

• Like 2