TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I actually did a small circle around the park the same time that post was made to Facebook (December 31). I saw that big metal barrel myself, but a few other small things to note like the pieces of metal rebar laying out in the area Lightning Run will be. I wasn't sure if it was new or taken from somewhere I don't know. Footers of Greezed Lightnin' looked like it was still being dug out of the ground to make way for the new coaster, and the station is fully in-tact.

With this visit, I had also taken my new telephoto lens (100-400mm) for a little field performance test. So again, all photos from outside the fence.

IMG_9989.JPG.e26f36ed5fb6a46c07bfb86e84c67824.JPG

With the leaves gone and some landscaping having been done, you can now easily see the old GL building.

IMG_9984.JPG.410b734d2fb8148aaf7e58a331d4c661.JPG

The area has some metal laid out on the land.

IMG_9983.JPG.6c8eff88bc0db15ded4714297c4d6776.JPGIMG_0103.JPG.bc7b84b23abd4f0b808ff21ae9b05851.JPG

Roller Skater received a fresh coat of paint and some much needed landscaping since the last time I was here.

IMG_9992.JPG.8e6fe49e0000cc64894d6706d0dfe3a1.JPG

Trains!

IMG_0029.JPG.324756003735aaaec2143b8ee372fedd.JPG

There were still some movement going on in the water park expansion area, but it kinda looked like everyone was going home for the day.

IMG_0004.JPG.d98d9248f21f4d6863754180f90119a1.JPG

Saw the slides laid out as well, which was interesting.

Happy new year!

T2 is getting a makeover and will be up and running in 2015.

New trains! NEW TRAINS!

Those new Vekoma trains did good things for Great Nor'Easter.

I have to say that I'm very surprised, and confused, by this Construction time line. I expected ground work to begin as soon as Lighting Run was announced. I just don't see how it can be ready by opening day when footers have not even been installed at this point in time. I'm certainly not complaining because KK has came way further than I ever thought it would. I'm just don't understand their strategy with Lighting Run.

The park is having a job fair on saturday. It will be held from 10am to 4pm at the Crowne Plaza Hotel (830 Phillips Lane, near Gate 1 to the Kentucky Expo Center).

If your last name begins with a letter between A-M: 10 AM – 1:00 PM.

If your last name begins with a letter between N-Z: 1 PM – 4:00 PM

Important: Before the Job Fair or immediately after attending, applicants must fill out an application online at http://www.kentuckykingdom.com (Applications can be found under the EMPLOYMENT tab).

Edited by tarheel1231

I have a few things I want to add:

1) Many thanks for Midgetman82 for the pictures, including two that featured The Roller Skater! For someone that cannot wait to ride that ride, plus a few other notable rides and waterslides, I greatly appreciated it.

2) Although Kentucky Kingdom will try to open Lightning Run on opening day, they could be unexpected delays; such as, bad weather, maintenance issues, construction workers not getting their sandwiches, etc. I just hope that by the time I visit Kentucky Kingdom they have that park up and running.

3) If T2 can get the same trains that Morey's Piers Nor' Eastern has, then I feel that would become the best ride in the park ( until the following year when they began to work their magic on Twisted Twins - mewonders if it would be renamed "Iron Twins" after they are done?).

ROLLER SKATER - TAKE A RIDE AROUND OUR RINK!!!

An interesting tidbit from Insider Louisville:

Insiders are telling MBB that Ed Hart is asking engineers to take on a big project at Kentucky Kingdom. Hart envisions taking the existing wooden roller coaster, Thunder Run, and connecting its 3,000 linear feet to a new wooden roller coaster, scheduled to debut in 2016, to create the world’s longest wooden coaster

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/2014/01/06/monday-business-briefing-lousy-time-health-care-edition-problems-baptist-hospital-systems/

If Ed Hart is one thing, he is ambitious...