TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

If I were to guess, I'd say a refurbished SLC in 2015 and a refurbished set of wooden coasters in 2016...

I'm hoping for Twisted Twins to be merged into one ride. Or keep one side the same and turn one side into a crazy Iron Horse creation.

I am thrilled to announce that Irvine Ondrey Engineering will be doing the controls for Lightning Run. This is really exciting for us and we are looking forward to sharing construction updates on both our facebook page and here. This one was a hard secret to keep because we think this ride will be a huge hit! It's truly awesome to be part of the rebirth of Kentucky Kingdom and we wish the park all the success in the world. Any questions you have on the control system for the new ride feel free to ask!

Have you encountered any unique challenges so far during the Lightning Run design process?

Luckily not so far. The process has been going well and the cabinet designs which house all of the control equipment have been completed and sent to Chance for review. Once they approve everything, it'll be time to build the cabinets and start writing the ride program. Our biggest challenges have been getting the design nailed down as this is a new ride design.

-Brian

They're probably keeping their focus on certain things within the park at the moment. Some water slide pieces have arrived.

1398519_671941626173346_1741431514_o.jpg

Source

I'd love to go check on the park's progress myself, but I'm away at college. I also feel like I might be bothering them with the few (but notable) reports I've done of the park.

Also, my dad informed me that a letter arrived for me from Kentucky Kingdom. I'm assuming it's the Season Pass (and not the free water bottle ), but I'll check when I get back home from college this weekend.

How do we know they haven't put in footers already? Can you see the location of the ride from the street or are we just guessing. I bet the park has a time line for the ride and I'm sure it will go up quickly. If you were a park trying to reopen to the public, wouldn't you want your new star attraction to be open and ready?

^ I would assume you could see them from outside the park. The road that splits the park, is it accessible, or only during operational hours? Also, I assumed if footers were poured it would have been reported here in some way. But I could be completely wrong.

I don't know if you'd really be able to see too much from the road, maybe the lift hill footers but the terrain rises slightly as you get further away from the road. You'd probably see a whole lot of dirt though. By the way, drove past the back side of the park, there is a ridiculous amount of slide pieces on site. But the biggest discovery I've uncovered has to do with LR. I guess since the conclusion of IAAPA, the Chance website has been updated, with more details on the actual KK ride itself....

Would someone like to see the full LR animation including a full animated POV? Here you go!

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

If you were a park trying to reopen to the public, wouldn't you want your new star attraction to be open and ready?

Maybe not. The park itself reopening is going to be a big draw. After things settle down a little the coaster opens and you get another bump. Getting people to come back more than once to the park.

Wow, the pacing in that POV looks perfect. I may be a bit biased, but so far, this is by far the 2014 addition I'm looking forward to the most. Lightning Run > Banshee...just sayin'.

Not gonna lie. I agree with you. Lightning Run will probably be the sleeper hit of 2014. It's got everything that I love in a good ride: lots of airtime, sharp twists and turns, and great pacing. This might be a stretch, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lightning Run actually cracks some enthusiasts top 10 lists.

What really struck me about Lightning Run is that if it were made by RMC out of wood instead of being a steel coaster, people would be going nuts about it. It has all the components of a great ride, it just looks underwhelming from the outside because we're so used to seeing this track type be used for much bigger rides. I agree that it will probably be a sleeper hit if it is smooth.

Wow, the pacing in that POV looks perfect. I may be a bit biased, but so far, this is by far the 2014 addition I'm looking forward to the most. Lightning Run > Banshee...just sayin'.

Not gonna lie. I agree with you. Lightning Run will probably be the sleeper hit of 2014. It's got everything that I love in a good ride: lots of airtime, sharp twists and turns, and great pacing. This might be a stretch, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lightning Run actually cracks some enthusiasts top 10 lists.

I'm thinking along the same lines here, but we'll definitely have to wait and see. The next few years for this park will be very interesting.