TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kentucky Kingdom (SFKK, KK) Discussion Thread

I am very excited to see the hyper-lite come to fruition (also I love the addition of a Larson drop-tower!) I noticed the on track on LR is different than in the early hyper-lite demo. Also, the trains appear more like the ones B&M made for Steel Dragon 2000 though with the bogies/guide-wheels running on the inside of the older-style morgan track. I wonder if that's relevant or if the demo is off. Can't wait either way!

The ride has more similarities to Phantom's Revenge than the Hyper-Lites, which explains the use of track and trains that Phantom's Revenge uses.

But PR's trains still have the original Arrow chassis and a good bit of Arrow track.

^Yes, only the lift and station are the original track.

It''s nice to have Intamins and Beemer but a little change in the coaster landscape isn't bad so it's good to see Chance building a new coaster again. Glad that they sort of adopted the low body Arrow chassis style train on Phantom's Revenge instead of their big boxy trains for this. Also seems like they tried to pack a lot in the small space the ride will be in.

I'm just a little surprised that they are putting in a new freefall but am happy they picked one of the best ones out there in the Larson Super Shot. My only concern is the capacity.

Even if they didn't plan on adding a new coaster I was planning on going next year. It looks like they are going to be off to a good start.

I for one am excited about all the New Addition's, The Coaster looks fantastic, love the Larson Drop Towers and the thing I'm most excited for is a Sea-Lion Show " going to try and get a position in that show". I will most likely get a job there again, I worked there for 5 Season's, would really like to work with the Sea-Lion's " have worked with Wild Animals in my past", worked for 2 different Zoo's If I can't work with the Sea-Lions, I will go back into Rides. The Waterpark addition's look great also, giving Splashin' Safari a run for it's money, may just get a Season Pass here and forget about Holiday World this year.

I second this! I love sea lions and have always wanted to work with them or orcas. KK is only like 10 minutes from my house. Will try to get a position also

Looks like an awesome coaster. They probably wanted an Intamin but Morgan gave them something similar for a far cheaper price...but that's just me guessing, who the hell knows. I'm just happy the park is opening again cause it's only like 4 hours away from where I live. The season pass is a great deal. Looks like using the Six Flags method of selling season passes super cheap to get return visits has caught on. I might be mistaken, but I haven't seen anyone else sell a season pass as cheap as Six Flags does until now with Kentucky Kingdom. I wish all season passes was this cheap. I hope Lightning Run is a great re-ridable ride...With only two coasters, they both need to be those kind of coasters you could ride all day and never tire of.

Wonder where the parks next coaster will be. It looks like there isn't alot of room left inside the park.

The next two things wil probably be refurbs of T2 and Twisted Twins. However, the Twisted Twins refurb, if it is an RMC all-around makeover, could be like a new coaster.

I wonder what Holiday World and Kings Island have to say about Kentucky Kingdom...

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20131118/NEWS01/311180040/Kentucky-Kingdom-undercuts-competitors-59-95-season-pass

Knowing it must compete with bigger, more established competitors, Kentucky Kingdom has set the price of its season pass at $59.95 — well below what nearby parks in Ohio and Indiana charge.

The competitive pricing strategy, released Monday by Kentucky Kingdom operators, is timed for the park’s planned May 24 opening that will spotlight more than 50 rides and attractions, including a new $8 million coaster called Lightning Run.

Kentucky Kingdom’s season-pass pricing undercuts Holiday World and Splashin’ Safari in Southern Indiana, as well as Kings Island north of Cincinnati.

The strategy should help the park attract Louisville theme park fans, since season passes “and are a great way for especially local people who live close” to enjoy a park, said David Mandt, a spokesman for the International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions. But Mundt was reluctant to say whether the price alone would make Kentucky Kingdom a serious competitor with Holiday World and Kings Island.

In the first 24 hours after season pass sales began online Sunday at kentuckykingdom.com, 300 had been sold, said Ed Hart, the CEO of the investment group that is reopening the Kentucky Exposition Center park.

“I feel very comfortable in what we offer — including free drinks and free parking,” Matt Eckert, CEO of Holiday World, said in a phone interview.

Visitors to Kentucky Kingdom will have to pay $8 to park at the Kentucky Fair & Exposition Center. Holiday World frequently boasts of the awards given to its rides by industry groups, including the Wildebeest water coaster being named top water park ride by trade journal Amusement Today and the park as a whole being named the cleanest.

Holiday World and Kentucky Kingdom can “co-exist peacefully,” Eckert said. Calls to King’s Island officials were not immediately returned.

Holiday World’s season pass starts at $99.95 for those who buy well in advance, rising to $139.95 if bought in early May. Members of the Koch family, which owns Holiday World, were investors in Bluegrass Boardwalk, which abruptly dropped a plan in 2012 to reopen the park.

The two parks will charge the same for single-day admission: $44.95. King’s Island near Cincinnati charges $84 or more for a season pass and up to $56.99 for a one-day ticket.

Closed since 2009, Kentucky Kingdom will re-open May 24 with new land and water attractions. It’s new Lightning Run — the park’s first major new coaster in 17 years — will feature 2,500 feet of track and a 100-foot, 80-degree drop, while another new ride, Fearfall, will feature a 13-story plunge straight down.

Additions include a thrice daily sea lion show in the Aqua Theater and a new large screen cinema movie theater that will have seats that shimmy and shake and give viewers a sense of motion and smell.

The enlarged Hurricane Bay’s eight new attractions will include what is being billed as the country’s tallest water slide — Deep Water Dive, which will have a 121-foot, 70-degree drop along the 377-foot long slide. In addition to the eight new offerings, the water park will have seven refurbished rides from the old park.

The King Louie’s Playground will have 11 children’s rides — many of them new — plus a theater. A large wooden carousel that was long a Kentucky Kingdom mainstay has been restored.

In addition to Lightning Run and the refurbished Thunder Run wooden coaster, the park will have a junior coaster called the Roller Skater. Thunder Run alone cost nearly $1 million to restore, Hart said.

Kentucky Kingdom has already hired about 50 full-time workers. It plans a job fair at the nearby Crowne Plaza hotel on Jan. 4 to start hiring around 800 seasonal workers who will start once the park opens in the spring.

Hart operated the park for nearly a decade before selling it in the late 1990s to Six Flags, which walked away from its lease after the 2009 season during a bankruptcy reorganization. Hart’s partners are businessman Bruce Lunsford, attorney Ed Glasscock and the Al J. Schneider Co., which operates the nearby Crowne Plaza hotel.

Hart said the park will have five large shelters for catered events, including corporate outings. Kentucky Kingdom will have its own catering staff and will not rely on a vendor, park spokesman John Mulcahy said.

Wonder where the parks next coaster will be. It looks like there isn't alot of room left inside the park.

There are 30 acres the park has yet to expand into on the front side of the park. If the park lives long enough you can expect this area to be utilized. I imagine this is why expanding the WP into Chang's old spot isn't much of a big deal; the front of the park has the highest height tolerances anyway.

KECE1.jpg.80f00680e577d186220d61e2ef029528.jpg

This is the expandable area. Currently a section of it is used for the Ky State Fair Thrillway.

That plot of land has been under-utilized by the KEC because of possible KK expansion (going back to the pre Six Flags years). The actual parking lot in that section is closed down and used for the Thrill-way during the Fair anyway; those spaces are not a huge loss for the time being. There is a ton of undeveloped land on the KEC campus that could easily be turned into more surface parking.

Untitled.jpg.a03d6e932bff4732d28567cd8b53ee83.jpg

The expansion zone without area overlay.

It cracks me up when someone says a park is out of room. The problem is you are thinking in two dimensions like Kahn, try thinking in three like Spook! Take a look at Blackpool if you want to see how to fit a lot of rides into a limited amount of space

Edited by gisco