TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Liseberg Discussion Thread

Question for those who have ridden Blue Fire and Manta (SWSD) - does the launch kick on Blue Fire like it does on Manta? If it does and that sort of kick is on this one too, that makes me even more excited!

I have not done Manta yet, but Blue Fire is extremely gentle and I wouldn't say the launch has any real kick to it.

Does anyone think (I'm sure many of us hope!) that B&M will eventually graduate to these type of restraints on it's looping coasters?

This ride looks phenomenal. I have wanted to get to Liseberg since Lisebergbanen was built; I remember an interview with Anton saying that was his favorite coaster.

Question for those who have ridden Blue Fire and Manta (SWSD) - does the launch kick on Blue Fire like it does on Manta? If it does and that sort of kick is on this one too, that makes me even more excited!

I have not done Manta yet, but Blue Fire is extremely gentle and I wouldn't say the launch has any real kick to it.

Agreed. In fact, bluefire's focus is not the launch, really, but the whole ride itself. What makes those rides so special is that they are smooth, exciting, very rerideable, have great capacity, have comfortable trains and are very versatile... Oh yeah, and the final kick-ass inline twist

I am really excited about this addition. I loved bluefire and I am sure I wil enjoy this even more! So looking forward to visiting Liseberg in 2014!

Having ridden Blue Fire (and absolutely loving it, especially the last inversion), I can't wait for this. The last inversion on Blue Fire might be my single most favorite inversion on a roller coaster. Fire Dragon's fakey post-airtime hill inversion-into-helix being right up there too.

Where do I send that Scandi trip deposit? There are so many awesome things I can't wait to see and do on that trip, it's kinda hard to contain myself

The CEO of Liseberg said they where planning another coaster than Helix, it was going to be so tall that you could look down on uppskjutet (spaceshot), but they decided to make a better coaster. "Tallest is not necessarily the best. And the fastest is not necessarily the most fun." said Lisebergs CEO.

The CEO of Liseberg said they where planning another coaster than Helix, it was going to be so tall that you could look down on uppskjutet (spaceshot), but they decided to make a better coaster. "Tallest is not necessarily the best. And the fastest is not necessarily the most fun." said Lisebergs CEO.

Now that`s a VERY good descision IMHO. Go Liseberg

I'm not really a fan of the new restraints. It may be more comfortable for some passengers but I prefer smaller restraints.

Wow, not even one page in and someone is already complaining!

--Robb "Can we maybe have a ride announcement where people don't make stupid, embarrassing comments? Oh, wait... no." Alvey

I wasn't trying to sound like I was complaining. I've just heard from some friends who live in germany that gripping the handles infront of the seat on Blue Fire could be somehwhat discomfortable. I've never personally been on Blue Fire myself so I can't say that for certain. I would love to ride this coaster and it seems like a great new addition to the park in 2014.

I'll put your mind at ease: I rode Blue Fire this year and I thought those were some of the most comfortable trains ever. I had no problems with the front grips, the restraint portion fit me just fine without being too restrictive and they even let me "worry" a bit on some of the inversions (although I was never in any real danger of falling out).

The minute I saw that this coaster was using the Blue Fire system, I started making travel plans.

The price ($30 million) doesn't seem that out of line for a major ride. (I remember hearing that Verbolten at BGW cost more than that.) I think you're right that the terrain is probably a big factor in the price.

I am surprised this hasn't been talked about more, but, as great as Mack has gotten, their looping coasters have just gotten so "Intamin like", that I would almost call them knockoffs. Now, Mack is now probably one of the better coaster companies out there, and they are light years ahead of any Chinese company, but I still can't help but think that the design just looks too Intamin. In fact, I watched the animation before finding out the stats, and, I completely thought it was an Intamin.

After The Storm and this, it seems that Mack is just beginning to clone Intamin's style. With the S-curves, the Pretzel (Norwegian) loop, and even the S-curved airtime hill, this all seems very similar to something Intamin would come up with.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Mack entered the hyper coaster market within the next few years, and their hypers turned out to be similar to Intamin's.

Still, I am just as excited about this as I would be if it were an Intamin.

Oh, I disagree there. Anyone of the manufacturers could build an s-curve airtime hill or a crazy looping thing if they really wanted to. I don't think that anyone on the design team would be in the middle of drawing up a layout and say, "Oh, we can't build it that way because we don't want to steal Intamin's thunder". They have the freedom to design it however they want to, and if the only way to connect the circuit is to include an s-curve airtime hill, so be it!

If Mack really wanted to emulate Intamin, they would use hunkered down trains with low heartlines, T/U-bars, and minimal legroom like Intamin does. But, they don't. I think it was Mr. Mack himself or someone else high up in the company that said that the reason guests sit so high with their feet not touching the floor is so that the ride can feel out of control.

The Quickpass is being removed/replaced

In an article posted on GP.se yesterday, Liseberg announced that the highly debated Quickpass system would be removed next year, in favour for another virtual queueing system that would be free to use for those that would plan their visit in advance. They aim to make it available for the next season.

More details on how it will all work will be released in a couple of weeks time.

Source: GP.se - Quickpasset läggs ner [swedish]

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As it sound in that article then it will be more or less exactly the same as today (only for them who pre-books their tickets on-line), except it will be free. But then again I have only seen tens of people used the Quickpass system over the past few years. Will report back when I know more...

I am surprised this hasn't been talked about more, but, as great as Mack has gotten, their looping coasters have just gotten so "Intamin like", that I would almost call them knockoffs. Now, Mack is now probably one of the better coaster companies out there, and they are light years ahead of any Chinese company, but I still can't help but think that the design just looks too Intamin. In fact, I watched the animation before finding out the stats, and, I completely thought it was an Intamin.

After The Storm and this, it seems that Mack is just beginning to clone Intamin's style. With the S-curves, the Pretzel (Norwegian) loop, and even the S-curved airtime hill, this all seems very similar to something Intamin would come up with.

I wouldn't be too surprised if Mack entered the hyper coaster market within the next few years, and their hypers turned out to be similar to Intamin's.

Still, I am just as excited about this as I would be if it were an Intamin.

Its an interesting you bring this point up but I completely see Mack taking over Intamin in the next years, if they haven't already.

Not to say that they will make better coasters but Intamin simply still doesn't have a trademark coaster style anymore. Sure, they've tried with Intimidator/SkyRush but each of those have had their own respective problems. While they may be better rides, I don't see parks being willing to go with Intamin as they simply can't get their act together in terms of reliability and maintenance costs.

Mack on the other hand has clearly perfected their new coaster style and it has received major attention, especially for its versatility.

Basically, my guess is that if Cheetah Hunt would have been built in 2014, it would have been built by Mack, not Intamin.

This is just my prediction in where the industry is heading. But I'm sure someone will know more than myself on the topic.

And now for something completely different, an update for next year!!

Liseberg posted an update on Facebook of their additions for it's 90 year anniversary. The "Rabbit Land":

Ex Burger King restaurant

While the Pony carousel is pretty new, it will be moved to a new location

Some big rocks are relocated

The Frog-hoppers are removed after 13 seasons in the park

"Hedersplatsen", an area with hand/foot prints + signature of famous persons, is being removed. This was also the area where HangOver, Lisebergsloopen and Super8 once stood

Aeroplane carousel is being removed after 22 seasons in the park

Oldtimers cars are moved and updated to the next season, opened in 1974

All images comes from the Liseberg Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Liseberg/119312944764947

Its an interesting you bring this point up but I completely see Mack taking over Intamin in the next years, if they haven't already.

Not to say that they will make better coasters but Intamin simply still doesn't have a trademark coaster style anymore. Sure, they've tried with Intimidator/SkyRush but each of those have had their own respective problems. While they may be better rides, I don't see parks being willing to go with Intamin as they simply can't get their act together in terms of reliability and maintenance costs.

No offense, but this has top be the dumbest thing I read in a while.

Mack needs more of a track record with coasters (beyond the Wild Mouse) before people will completely agree with those statements. Mack has one installation outside of their own park and one more on the books.

Yes, they have the "potential", but large coasters are still a small percentage of their business.

Yes, I agree that Mack has to develop more of a track record with "big" rides. But it's good to see companies like Mack and Zierer stepping up. There's no harm in some other companies making big rides to rival B&M and Intamin.