TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Liseberg Discussion Thread

^ If you look at the overhead, then Rabalder is still there at the bottom centre, the new one will is in the top left corner, you can see the curving roof of the station next to the top left corner of the cycle monorail.

I have to say I'm a little bit (only a little bit though) disappointed with this announcement, I cannot deny that a kiddie area is needed for Liseberg, but the way we were told last year at the park that they had something huge and incredible for the 90th year, we were led to believe something large (equivelent to Balder etc....)

Oh well, I hope that in 10 years there is an amazing announcement for their 100th year!

I have to say I'm a little bit (only a little bit though) disappointed with this announcement, I cannot deny that a kiddie area is needed for Liseberg, but the way we were told last year at the park that they had something huge and incredible for the 90th year, we were led to believe something large (equivelent to Balder etc....)

Oh well, I hope that in 10 years there is an amazing announcement for their 100th year!

Well the total cost of all this is close to twice as much as they spent on Balder so it's really huge for the park itself. This is also a step on them trying to turn themselves into a fully fledged Theme Park instead of just an Attraction Park with nice gardens they were before. The attractions that have been added over the last few years, have had a bit more than just the ordinary bushes/fences around them, so this is a natural step into something new for the whole park, I just hope that they will carry this on towards the next projects in the future, so we don't end up with more attractions with boring surroundings like Balder/Kanonen...

In 2021 there is the 400 th anniversary of Gothenburg as well, so there might be something massive planned for that as well, seeing that Gothenburg got Liseberg for their 300 th anniversary (sure 2 years late, but who cares ).

^ Yeah I have seen that rumour as well, but with no date on it at that time.

But 2014 seems like a strong possibility, then they have replaced most of the old "extreme" rides with new ones, and with the new wheel in place and the old one that will be leaving at the end of the season, makes me think that the new coaster will en up on the mountain and since Virvelvinden is the oldest of the "extreme" rides it might as well be due to be replaced at that time, so I would bet that a new coaster on the mountain is what we will see in 2 years...

Liseberg just posted an English version of the press release so now everyone here interested in the details can read it all:

Liseberg plans biggest investment ever for kids in 2013

Liseberg plans biggest investment ever for kids in 2013

2012-07-09 06:55

To mark its 90th anniversary in 2013 Liseberg intends to celebrate with the biggest investment in the history of the amusement park. Nearly SEK 200 million will be invested in total in the park, and the biggest present of all is for the kids – a massive 10,000-square-metre Rabbit Land.

Kids will clearly be the centre of attention when Liseberg celebrates its 90th anniversary in 2013. The old children’s area will be renovated and extended to provide seven new attractions, food outlets, shops, wheels of fortune and games. Part of the area will become Rabbit Land – the rabbits’ own universe right in the heart of Liseberg. Storgatan will also be extended down to the river running through the park and a West Coast site will be established near Liseberg Harbour.

“We’re proud and excited about these new additions for 2013. We’ve chosen to focus on Liseberg’s real guests of honour: the children. This is a project that involves a great deal of heart, creativity and quality – everything that makes Liseberg so special. It will be tremendous fun to welcome new generations of guests when we open in April,” says Andreas Andersen, CEO of Liseberg.

In addition to the new attractions in Rabbit Land, the old Rabbit House will be transformed into a large playground. This will not be a traditional playground, but one that only the Liseberg Rabbits could imagine building. It will be a place where kids can play with the Rabbits in the most imaginative ways – and they won’t need a ride pass or ticket.

Next to Rabbit Land there will be a picnic area, a frequently requested feature for guests who want to bring their own food to the park. For those who prefer not to picnic there will be a new family restaurant with three units: Burger King with 250 seats outdoors, the Rabbits’ own pancake restaurant and a sandwich restaurant for those guests looking for a healthier option.

Work actually began in secret a few weeks ago, but will begin seriously in early September. The Rabbit Land will open in April 2013, when Liseberg opens the gates for its 90th season.

Facts

Total investment in Rabbit Land, Storgatan and West Coast area: SEK 195 million.

Total area: 13,000 square metres.

Rabbit Land

Area: 10,000 square metres.

New rides: New Oldtimers Cars, Cycle Monorail, Mini Free Fall Towers, Flying Wheel Tower, Childrens Roller Coaster, Flying Carousel and Balloon Carousel.

Rides that will move: Cycle Ride, Kiddie Bumpers and Pony Carousel.

Rides that will be updated: Teacups and Rabbit Ride.

Rides that will disappear: Original Oldtimers, Little Frogs, Kiddie Flight Carousel and Trummeliten Carousel.

Edited by larrygator

• 2 months later...

Well it seems Liseberg isn't just going to build a nice little area for the kids but also something for us grown-ups as well.

According to their facebook account they'll announce their biggest attraction investment named 'Projekt helix' on tuesday.

So let the speculation begin!

I think it'll be some kind of big ride ie a Giant Huss ride or if it's a roller coaster that would be for 2014 as I think it's a little late to start building roller coaster of a Balder size now.

Edit: Apparently this is for 2014... sounds exciting.

Probably the new attraction will be located at the top of the hill. The press release says that the press conference next week will be held in the their 3D-cinema Maxxima, "which at this time will be used for the last time, when Liseberg will need this space for something completely different.."

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/pressroom/liseberg/pressrelease/view/liseberg-presenterar-vaerldsnyhet-den-9-oktober-klockan-11-30-800159 (Press release in Swedish 2012-10-04)

I don't know if they mean most expensive single ride ever, or most expensive investment ever.

If it's the first, then it will be bigger than 100 millions Sek (15 millions Usd) that that was Balder, or if it's the second then it have to be more than twice that amount.

Excited!!

According to the speculations on the ride that GP (Gothenburg Post) have in their article today, then it might be something along the lines of Euro-Mir, since it's apparently something that spins and will be made by Mack, so it seems plausible.

Link to article: http://www.gp.se/nyheter/goteborg/1.1085818-attraktionen-som-ska-radda-liseberg [swedish]

We just have to wait a few days to see what it will be...

When Hersheypark was looking into proposals for the 2012 coaster, witch turned out to be Skyrush, Mack wanted to build them an inverted ride with inversions and spinning cars. Would be cool if something like that popped up, but it's unlikely. The park has a pretty long standing relationship with Intamin as well.

I really hope that it will be something more than that on the Mack link, a Power Coaster isn't all that fun really, even if it's spinning and is inverted. I would love to see something more thrilling than one of those. The only really intense coaster is Kanonen, the rest of them are for the family (yes even Balder). And Liseberg have in the past years removed a most of their thrilling attractions (just keeping the towers and swinging attractions). The need more variations in their line-up.

But if they do decide to have it helix around Atmosfear, then we can at least get the benefit that it will give some extra height around Atmosfear giving it some extra fear on the drop

Speaking of the Helix, It may be that they do a similar lift to those found at Eurosat/Euro-Mir/etc. around the tower, that would be AWESOME!!

Here is a bonus picture that my brother took while we were on a behind the scene tour at Liseberg.

lisetank.jpg

Let me present the Lisebergbanan "Tank" that were made to tow the trains if they happened to stall on the track (which they will do if they lack passengers when they are cold). It's now remote controlled, but used to have a drivers seat for an operator, but it must have been a boring job since it takes the tank about an hour to make one lap of the track. It can be seen when they operate the switch-track to the "inner" storage track, since it has it's own at the rear of the station.

The ride for Hershey was a gravity driven one, not powered. It also feautered inversions. It has to be something along those lines if they are investing as much as they do, if it is indeed a Mack.

Would make sense to build an inverted coaster as well, since everybody seems to miss the old Hang Over so much, judging from there Facebook page.

That might also explain why they posted an image of it after the "Helix" teaser.

If it's as you said about the Hershey one then it sounds quite all right, but according to the GP article then it's something "for the whole family" which doesn't scream thrilling and inversions. So it might be something really bland in the end.

Just little over 2 more days until we know, me and my brother might try and get into the press release and might even try and do live updates or something.

A big ride would be awesome especially seeing how much money they are sinking in to it, and if it's a prototype of some sort they might get a good price for the ride since it's done for testing the system at a full scale.

Just 20 hours to go, and best of all. I got confirmation that we were very welcome to attend the event

Now I have to figure out how to use twitter so I can live tweet to TPR so that everyone can get the info fast. Or on second thought, will probably do this through Tapatalk so watch this thread.

If everything fails then there will at least be a full report tomorrow afternoon/evening.