TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Annoying stuff that happens in theme parks- The List

Man, Everybody in here seems to be complaining about the guests, what annoys me at parks is when the weather doesn't cooperate. Going to a park and having the weather be stupidly hot or humid can really bring down a good day.

Another thing is just poor design choices by the park. I really disliked the whole setup for Volcano at Kings Dominion. The whole queue through the 'cavern' and then the wooden shed like building was absolutely awful. It was hot, stuffy, and there was absolutely nothing in there. I don't mind waiting in line when you can watch the ride or something, but it was just empty space with absolutely nothing inside. Also, the loading platform was also pretty bad, although it might have been changed?

Yeah the Volcano queue hasn't been like that for awhile now, but I agree that when it was like that, it was horrible and claustrophobic

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest-Related

- People who stand in-line for a 1+ Hour line for a water ride, and ask the ride operator when they're about to get on "Do you get wet on this ride?"

- When you're a ride operator at a water ride and someone ask you "Can you please make it so we won't get wet on our ride?"

- People who try to scare others in line telling bullshit stories about accidents that obviously never occurred.

- People who have overly huge expectations for non-Disney parks and constantly mutter "This place sucks, this isn't like Disneyland!"

- People who actively try to curse as much as possible because they know children will hear them.

- People swatting at bees or wasps in line and getting other people stung.

Park-Related

- Having a major attraction at a somewhat hidden dead-end where they obviously could put a loop around to make it more accessible (Namely Twisted Sisters/Twins and Mile High Falls. Kentucky Kingdom remedied this recently by making more walkway space and removing a few trees to make Mile High Falls more visible, but it's still not looped around to the Top Eliminator Dragster location.)

- Costumed characters dancing to dubstep. Or dubstep in a park in general, it feels ridiculously out of place.

- Removing shade trees just to replant baby trees in their place.

Guests that take out their phones on the rides. Yesterday morning while I was working at Wild Thing, we had to stop the train on the lift five times in less than an hour for people taking out cell phones. Is it really that hard to go without your phone for a few minutes?

Honest question: Do your policies allow you to actually do anything to people that do this? If there is no penalty to breaking the rules, it's going to continue...

• 3 weeks later...

- Removing shade trees just to replant baby trees in their place.

Most of the time this happens when the older tree is infected with some type of invasive species or virus that can kill the tree making the tree more likely to fall or have branches fall, and so the park tries to avoid a potential lawsuit if a tree or branch injuries someone walking by.

Another reason may be that the roots of the older tree are too close to a foundation or underground utilities. And the park may take those trees out to avoid costly repairs to those.

Over-crowded stations really bother me. There should never be more than a 2-3 train wait for every row in the station. The only rows that should have a wait longer than this are the front/back rows.

The other way around is worse in my opinion. Over-crowded stations still move people through quickly, but with assigned seating and 1 car per row, if the assigner is slow, there will be empty rows. It happens all the time at Canada's Wonderland on behemoth and leviathan, cause every other person is asking to go to this row and the ride attendant has to say no.

Over-crowded stations really bother me. There should never be more than a 2-3 train wait for every row in the station. The only rows that should have a wait longer than this are the front/back rows.

The other way around is worse in my opinion. Over-crowded stations still move people through quickly, but with assigned seating and 1 car per row, if the assigner is slow, there will be empty rows. It happens all the time at Canada's Wonderland on behemoth and leviathan, cause every other person is asking to go to this row and the ride attendant has to say no.

What I'm bothered by, is when I can't even walk to get over to the row I'm going to. That's when it starts to get on my nerves.

• 2 weeks later...

I dislike assigned seating, but I absolutely HATE when ops don't let you wait even after you politely ask them if you could sit in the row of your choice. That just irks me to no end because it doesn't make the line any longer, you essentially just let people line cut until the train is filled. Or you could have the "leave no seat empty" rule, which is equally irittating. If I'm in the second-largest group of people in line for the front, I shouldn't be reassigned to the empty 5th row after I've waited 3+ groups

Not that this takes place in a theme park, but it seems like a good fit for this thread.

I hate when I am at a water park, just lounging in the lazy river, floating in my tube, minding my own business, trying to relax... and these little freaking kids think that they need to turn the lazy river into a freaking marathon. Hopping through the river, pushing you and your tube into the wall so they can "out run" the other kids. Do they no understand us old folks are simply trying to relax?? They need to go act a fool in the wave pool, and leave the lazy river to relaxing!!

#EndRant

I dislike assigned seating, but I absolutely HATE when ops don't let you wait even after you politely ask them if you could sit in the row of your choice. That just irks me to no end because it doesn't make the line any longer, you essentially just let people line cut until the train is filled.

Don't even get me started on this absurd practice...

Agreed on the assigned seating crap that is going on now. I hadn't experienced this before until I went to Carrowinds on vacation. Luckily since the day I went it wasn't super busy and they were relatively lax about enforcing it when you asked to sit in a specific "area" of the train i.e. the back etc. If you asked for a specific row they said no.

Honestly assigning seats does not move people through any faster from what I have seen. Besides most of the time the people who were told to go to row X never went there anyway. So why bother with it.

Yeah we were in a group of 2 and got assigned to row 4 on Superman Krypton Coaster... when there were only 2 people in the front row? what the hell just give us the front it's 4 across anyway you dingus ride op

We asked for the front and they said no. Weren't even running VR at the time either (3:30-5:30 they turn it off)

Stupid English people in queues constantly swearing and complaining behind you. "We 'ave been here, like, 2 hours. What the F*** is taking them so long. They should not let so many F***ing people into the park. OH MY GOD!!! Look at those people cutting in fron' of us with just coz of their dir'y money. This is a f***ing joke."

They were only in the queue for half an hour and were near the front. If the park did not let so many people in, they might not have been let in at all. And seriously, there are kids about! Offencive language in queues should be a more important concern for parks.

Yeah we were in a group of 2 and got assigned to row 4 on Superman Krypton Coaster... when there were only 2 people in the front row? what the hell just give us the front it's 4 across anyway you dingus ride op

We asked for the front and they said no. Weren't even running VR at the time either (3:30-5:30 they turn it off)

This is the most recent experience with me. It was extremely similar to yours (same coaster at about the same time) but we just split up our 4 person group so 2 could sit in the front and 2 in the second.

I dislike assigned seating, but I absolutely HATE when ops don't let you wait even after you politely ask them if you could sit in the row of your choice. That just irks me to no end because it doesn't make the line any longer, you essentially just let people line cut until the train is filled. Or you could have the "leave no seat empty" rule, which is equally irittating. If I'm in the second-largest group of people in line for the front, I shouldn't be reassigned to the empty 5th row after I've waited 3+ groups

And to make it even worse, when the ride op is unnecessarily rude about it. It actually happened to me on Fury 325 when my mother had politely asked if we could sit in a different row because a group of riders had someone chicken out and they exited the line (It was actually a walk-on believe it or not) and the ride op just got so rude about it and yelled at my mom, accusing her of having an "attitude" with her.