TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

^ For me, I don't think I'd consider lapbar-only trains to be "odd," but more along the lines of my personal hyperventilation vehicle. Vertical spikes are somewhat terrifying for me, particularly on GIBs, so I can only imagine what it would be like to ride a GIB without the seeming security of an OTSR.

But my one ride on KD's FOF back in 1999 still ranks as the absolute worst coaster experience of my life, so I will gladly take my wide-eyed terror on facing straight down with just a lapbar holding me in over smashing my skull into oblivion.

I'm curious to see what becomes of this.

Very interesting, it doesn't look as though the chassis of the train has been modified. I can't tell if the bogeys are spring loaded, it looks like the guide wheels might be, but if not I almost wonder if the recycled the chassis themselves and just redid the seating portion of the train.

Then again these are just renderings, I am probably wrong, but I think new bogeys would really make a difference on this ride!

Oh ya, the vertical spikes would prevent that from happening, since your upper body would be in a very uncomfotable position.

EDIT: This is about if they put lap bars on Goliath

Edited by XYZ

Oh yeah, of course. On all three counts. As long as SOMETHING is there.

It's probably a little more simple and a little less expensive the way it is in the renderings though.

Do they plan on getting rid of the dropping floor in the station? That could be the reason why the seats are at an odd angle.

That would be very dangerous, if you ask me!

The Intamin Impulses don't have a floor drop, so it is quite possible for there to not be one.

True but the Intamin trains sit much higher up on the track to accomodate this

I was unfortunate enough to ride Chiller with the old Premier OTSR and the memory of bashing my head around those ginormous things is just horrifying, especially BEFORE they added extra padding, ouchies.

Seeing them again makes me fear for the unsuspecting public next season, poor bastards

To all of you saying it's impossible...

1. It's not.

2. They could have done a vest restraint similar to the B&M Flyers

3. You obviously have not dealt with the pain that was pre-lap bar Flight of Fear!!!!

AGREED!!!!

I opened up OL:FOF at KD in 1996- and was a little stunned at the size and overall bulk of the OTSRs... and let me tell you this:

Having survived a ride with those things was, to me, about as wonderful as riding a TOGO with their OTSRs. You have -NO- idea of the pain factor you dealt with in any way. Earboxing? You bet. Gutpunching? Of course. Earrings through to your brain? Expect it. You were -very- lucky if you got off OL:FOF without pain. It was THAT BAD. We're talking concussion type pain. Rerides were impossible- as after one ride, you really didn't want to do anything else, except find either Advil, Aleve or Aspirin.

When the lap bars were fitted to FOF later on, it was the re-birth of the ride to me. MUCH more comfortable, and a far better ride experience. I can only PRAY they choose to re-think the restraints for Golaith, as I know if I saw those on the train, whether I needed the credit or not, I'd walk away. I don't need that type of pain again.

I don't expect it to be painful since we are taling about the '90s restraints and there has to be some progress in the last ten years. Look at Vekoma's SLC restraints between the new and the old. Sure, these restraints can be extremely painful, but I don't expect Premier to make the same restraints that they (hopefully) know is horrible.

I don't expect it to be painful since we are taling about the '90s restraints and there has to be some progress in the last ten years. Look at Vekoma's SLC restraints between the new and the old. Sure, these restraints can be extremely painful, but I don't expect Premier to make the same restraints that they (hopefully) know is horrible.

Did you see the pictures? Any of them? Did you ride OL:FOF with the old restraints?

^ I'm hoping they have improved on the technology, but they sure do look similar to the older ones... I wonder why they went with these? All I know is, Deja Vu was a little rough before, so if these new trains/restraints are no improvement, then I don't think I'll be riding it again.

To all of you saying it's impossible...

1. It's not.

2. They could have done a vest restraint similar to the B&M Flyers

3. You obviously have not dealt with the pain that was pre-lap bar Flight of Fear!!!!

AGREED!!!!

I opened up OL:FOF at KD in 1996- and was a little stunned at the size and overall bulk of the OTSRs... and let me tell you this:

Having survived a ride with those things was, to me, about as wonderful as riding a TOGO with their OTSRs. You have -NO- idea of the pain factor you dealt with in any way. Earboxing? You bet. Gutpunching? Of course. Earrings through to your brain? Expect it. You were -very- lucky if you got off OL:FOF without pain. It was THAT BAD. We're talking concussion type pain. Rerides were impossible- as after one ride, you really didn't want to do anything else, except find either Advil, Aleve or Aspirin.

When the lap bars were fitted to FOF later on, it was the re-birth of the ride to me. MUCH more comfortable, and a far better ride experience. I can only PRAY they choose to re-think the restraints for Golaith, as I know if I saw those on the train, whether I needed the credit or not, I'd walk away. I don't need that type of pain again.

I know what you are saying. I never rode FOF with the old restraints, but felt the pain of them on Mr. Freeze. You know it's bad when people had to take their earrings out because of the head bashing.

I rode Chiller back in it's OTSR days, but with the gigantic extra padding there. It was bad, but I'm sure not FOF circa 1996 bad.

But I dunno, I've ridden the FOF rides and even with the lapbar, still got jerked around quite a bit. Same with Chiller. Part of me thinks it was premiers track engineering/design at the time that contributed to the roughness and the restraints just amplified it to the EXTREME!

Even if it were the trains themselves that sucked as well, that was all back in 1996-1999. It's now been nearly 15 YEARS since so I THINK they would have learned a few things and improved their design/engineering/technology since then.

In my experience on the GIB's though, and yes even with them being Vekoma, I always had a decently smooth ride on them and never had to brace myself, so for Premier to design a new train and then to have it all of a sudden become unrideable and horrificly rough simply because of the restraint system that they're implementing when the 1st gen Vekoma GIB had an even bulkier OTSR with next to no soft padding seems a little drastic, mellow dramatic, and unrealistic to me.

I'm just going to really, really, really hope that the "rendering" is just that... a "rendering" and the actual restraints are not the same as my horrific flashbacks of Outer Limits. I mean, they just *can't* be, I cannot imagine anyone, including Premier Rides, would allow that to happen. Right???

I'm just going to really, really, really hope that the "rendering" is just that... a "rendering" and the actual restraints are not the same as my horrific flashbacks of Outer Limits. I mean, they just *can't* be, I cannot imagine anyone, including Premier Rides, would allow that to happen. Right???

The new restraints don't look as thick thankfully as those.Chiller as I remember use to also demand you remove any ear'rings during the ride if you had hoops etc. They do seem slimmed down a little.

And the attack of the sensor is here LOL!

I've experienced OTSR's on Mr. Freeze, Poltergeist, and Speed: The Ride, and I didn't enjoy enjoy any of those rides due to serious headbashing (I love the former two now that they've been lapbarred of course). If Goliath is going to be equally painful, I will gladly ride once for the credit, then let the hordes of GP fill up the queue while I pop an Excedrine Migraine, take a half hour respite, then marathon on Bizarro for the rest of the day.

But I'm hoping that won't be the case. I mean, weren't the original GIB restraints equally bulky looking?

I'd like to be optimistic, but Aftershock generally amplifies the headache the wooden coasters at Silverwood usually give me, and that's at a park that has dedicated itself to addressing some of the issues with GIBs. So I'm inclined to think it's one of those coaster types that just can't be smooth for long, if ever. In short...a Vekoma.

Yea for some reason http://rcdb.com/1040.htm?p=25481 looking at the extra bar this particular one had across the restraint looked kind of pointless.

That's there because some very intelligent people decided it would be a good idea to stick their upper body through the harness. Nothing ever happened of course, but that extra bar was put there to make sure nothing like that could happen again.

If you have ever seen a Deja Vu harness you'd realize how large and bulky they are and how easy leaning out of them can be.

As an aside, I wonder why Premier decided to ditch the staggered seating of the old train for a typical four-across arrangement. Once again, less expensive, perhaps?

^I'd definitely give it to that. I rode Deja Vu back at SFMM once, and it was enough to see how confusing it was for people!

As far as the OTSRs go, we all know that this ride needs them. So when they announced the Premier trains, shouldn't everyone have realized then that we were looking at them making OTSRs again? And really, what's to say that things haven't changed? Does everyone not love the new Boomerang restraints a thousand times more than the old ones? I can't imagine that Premier is going to put something out without learning from their mistakes 15 years ago.