TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

I rode Chiller back in it's OTSR days, but with the gigantic extra padding there. It was bad, but I'm sure not FOF circa 1996 bad.

But I dunno, I've ridden the FOF rides and even with the lapbar, still got jerked around quite a bit. Same with Chiller. Part of me thinks it was premiers track engineering/design at the time that contributed to the roughness and the restraints just amplified it to the EXTREME!

Even if it were the trains themselves that sucked as well, that was all back in 1996-1999. It's now been nearly 15 YEARS since so I THINK they would have learned a few things and improved their design/engineering/technology since then.

In my experience on the GIB's though, and yes even with them being Vekoma, I always had a decently smooth ride on them and never had to brace myself, so for Premier to design a new train and then to have it all of a sudden become unrideable and horrificly rough simply because of the restraint system that they're implementing when the 1st gen Vekoma GIB had an even bulkier OTSR with next to no soft padding seems a little drastic, mellow dramatic, and unrealistic to me.

I didn't find FOF's OTSR to be anywhere near as bad as JJ's even with all that extra "padding" you still got bashed around to no end but FOF's(at least at KD) weren't as big around on the top as JJ's were....I'm kinda not liking premier's lap bar all that much either as it's getting to be a tight fit on both FOF & BLSC these days & having that oversized bar shoved into your gut isn't the most comfortable thing during a ride on either coaster.

I rode Chiller back in it's OTSR days, but with the gigantic extra padding there. It was bad, but I'm sure not FOF circa 1996 bad.

But I dunno, I've ridden the FOF rides and even with the lapbar, still got jerked around quite a bit. Same with Chiller. Part of me thinks it was premiers track engineering/design at the time that contributed to the roughness and the restraints just amplified it to the EXTREME!

Even if it were the trains themselves that sucked as well, that was all back in 1996-1999. It's now been nearly 15 YEARS since so I THINK they would have learned a few things and improved their design/engineering/technology since then.

In my experience on the GIB's though, and yes even with them being Vekoma, I always had a decently smooth ride on them and never had to brace myself, so for Premier to design a new train and then to have it all of a sudden become unrideable and horrificly rough simply because of the restraint system that they're implementing when the 1st gen Vekoma GIB had an even bulkier OTSR with next to no soft padding seems a little drastic, mellow dramatic, and unrealistic to me.

I didn't find FOF's OTSR to be anywhere near as bad as JJ's even with all that extra "padding" you still got bashed around to no end but FOF's(at least at KD) weren't as big around on the top as JJ's were....I'm kinda not liking premier's lap bar all that much either as it's getting to be a tight fit on both FOF & BLSC these days & having that oversized bar shoved into your gut isn't the most comfortable thing during a ride on either coaster.

Was there something special about Speed the Ride I don't understand, it seems like all of the Premier rides with OTSR's were unbearable to the point that they were replaced with lap bars with the exception of that one coaster

I don't know...maybe it's because I haven't had much experience with Premier's shoulder harnesses (only Speed-The Ride), but I don't think these new restraints look that bad. Unless you used a vest, I doubt there's any other way to do the restraints on a GIB. The end of the ride (where it latches back onto the catch car while facing straight down) would be extremely uncomfortable and possibly unsafe without some kind of upper body support. While I think something like Intamin's newer soft harnesses (I305 style) would be ideal, these should work out fine.

Also, Deja Vu never seemed that rough, so I don't think headbanging will be too much of an issue. I'm guessing it was more the really quick transitions than the roughness that caused Flight of Fear to be horrible with the original restraints (I've rode it with lapbars and you do get thrown around a lot). This is probably also the reason Speed-The Ride isn't that bad. Since Deja Vu doesn't have any of those, and is significantly smoother than the average Boomerang or SLC, I'm guessing it will be successful.

I honestly doubt that the head banging would be worse than Mind Eraser. If you can ride that coaster and walk off it feeling fine, then Goliath should be fine.

I'm 6'0 and fairly heavily built, which allows me to go on it and get off not much worse for wear. But yeah, it did beat the hell out of me when I was younger.

Does anyone know what SFNE is planning on doing with the old Ship Wreck Falls station? During the land clearing and footer pouring, they've just been moving it around. Now it's sitting on a concrete slab that looks to be poured for the station's size. Does anyone know if they're using at the new station for Goliath? Or as a queue house? Or maybe even something different? Here are some pictures:

The newly poured concrete slab with footers sitting below it. Old station in the background

And the station moved across the site and on top if the slab. Does anyone else think this could actually be used for the station? Or at least a queue house?

I wish they would just keep it as Deja Vu. First off because the name is very appropriate for that ride and it isn't " the giant among coasters" It will be the second largest coaster at the park.

And to answer your question^ They will be using the old SWF station as the new goliath station. It was confirmed by the park to SFNE online.

And to answer your question^ They will be using the old SWF station as the new goliath station. It was confirmed by the park to SFNE online.

Yeah I know, I just never posted a response to my own question. Also, we're members of the same site. I posted everything on the same day around the same time.

While I'm a huge fan of the "Deja Vu" name, I think the change all comes down to marketability. "Goliath," at least to me, seems much more visceral, more easily translatable into visual terms, and more palatable by the GP. In short, I'd bet "Goliath" sells more t-shirts and mugs than "Deja Vu."

I'm kind of disappointed in all of our Jr. Engineers here saying how a lap bar only ride can't go up a vertical spike...

X-Cars I think are a different case, because the vertical lifts on them have you on your back, so the backrest supports your body the whole time.

With GIBs, isn't that initial reverse lift out of the station problematic, not the 2nd one? Of course, a maurer type harness could hold your in, but your whole upper body would flop foward the entire time.

I think the only viable non OTSR solution is a vest style restraint. Lap bar alone wont cut it.

flmboomerang.jpg.fdbf1d74b967e8e808405bc1b0a959f9.jpg

On an unrelated note...If the coaster were smooth, then normal OTSRs should be fine, no matter what the manufacturer right?

Edited by Gav

Was there something special about Speed the Ride I don't understand, it seems like all of the Premier rides with OTSR's were unbearable to the point that they were replaced with lap bars with the exception of that one coaster

I think the thing with Speed was that there weren't many directional changes. That's what usually causes the headbanging. There was pretty much just one turn, if I'm recalling correctly. So, there were fewer chances to bang your head.

All of the other Premier rides, particularly the spaghetti bowls had tons of directional changes -- and tons of chances to bang your head around!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...