TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

I think they may replace it with a steelie. I'd say KI is overdue for a nice Intamin coaster, wouldn't you?

Since they don't have a full-circuit inverted, I'd like to see an updated take on Volcano at KI (or any other park, for that matter!).

Assuming SOB is completely torn down, I'm not so sure another brand new wooden coaster in the exact same spot would be that effective regarding the perception of the general public. Look at Terminator at SFMM. Robb has said in other threads that the GP thinks it's still Psyclone, just in a different form, and I'm sure that isn't the only instance of that happening about a new coaster in a park. We'll have to just wait it out and see what happens to SOB I guess.

I think they may replace it with a steelie. I'd say KI is overdue for a nice Intamin coaster, wouldn't you?

Since they don't have a full-circuit inverted, I'd like to see an updated take on Volcano at KI (or any other park, for that matter!).

While I agree that they definitely need a REAL invert, I don't know if Intamin would be the way to go. B&M's track record is certainly a lot better than Intamin's in the invert department (both quality and quantity), so if KI did decide to go the invert route, I would hope it to be a B&M. Volcano, as good as it is, has also obviously had its mechanical issues, so I'm not sure KI would want to replace one lemon coaster with another. Just my opinion.

You know - the idea of having a coaster or coasters racing through the structure sounds REALLY cool. Maybe call them Grandsons of Beast? And, we all know, there is PLENTY of structure to race through and around.

I don't know if Intamin would be the way to go. B&M's track record is certainly a lot better than Intamin's in the invert department (both quality and quantity), so if KI did decide to go the invert route, I would hope it to be a B&M. Volcano, as good as it is, has also obviously had its mechanical issues, so I'm not sure KI would want to replace one lemon coaster with another. Just my opinion.

Well, to be fair, Volcano was many "firsts of it's kind" when it was built - wasn't it either the very first or the very first Intamin inverts, launched invert, DOUBLE launched invert, maybe even the first coaster to be launched up a vertical section?

And I actually give them kudos for doing something radically different.

I think I've been on every single Intamin invert coaster or coaster type that exists, and Volcano and the 2 Tornado's feel a *LOT* different from the B&Ms.

And while my favorite B&M inverts do actually rank higher for me than the Intamin inverts, I would say that all three Intamin inverts rank higher for me that *recent* B&M inverts.

Basically what I'm saying is... I wouldn't be disappointed by a new B&M invert, but it wouldn't make me go "Wow! I gotta check that out" whereas a new Intamin invert "doing something different than your standard B&M invert cookie cutter elements" totally would.

For some reason I just can't see B&M innovating any further on their current inverted coaster designs. And after the lackluster reception of Phaethon, Patriot, and Silver Bullet (ranked #53, #95, #109 respectively) I'm ready for something different.

--Robb "They don't make 'em like Montu, Katun, Fire Dragon, or Pyrenees anymore!" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

^You do make a valid point with B&M's recent inverts. I wasn't wholly impressed by Patriot, although Silver Bullet was a huge surprise in a good way. I'm not sure why nobody's contracted Intamin to make a traditional invert in the US, maybe it just always came down to a cheap SLC or a "you know what you're getting when you pay for it" B&M. I'd love to see B&M go back to the more compact, intense layouts (Talon and Afterburn immediately come to mind, and also Batmans even though I'm not a fan of those).

As far as Volcano goes, according to RCDB, there was an impulse coaster built in Japan in 1998, although I don't know if it opened before or after Volcano. However, they were both more than likely conceptualized, manufactured, and built around the same time, so it really doesn't make much difference which opened first. Definitely groundbreaking stuff, but part of me always wishes the post-launch part of Volcano had a little more excitement to it.

I just think no matter who builds it, KI desperately needs a quality invert, as it's their one glaring omission from their lineup. They also don't have an Intamin, so who knows!

Why is B&M so opposed to jumping on the launched coaster wagon?

B&M is a very conservative coaster company that doesn't really like to push limits like other manufacturers do. They tend to stick with what's tried and true, which allows for better reliability and safety.

The thing that makes Intamin stand out is that they push the limits to the extreme and are always willing to experiment. Unfortunately it leads to breakdowns, unreliability, and a safety record that isn't as good as B&M.

I agree^^

But you also have to look at hulk at UIA.

It is a launched coaster(the launch part was done with another company), and there have been no issues with it. It's as smooth as any other B&M coaster ever built.

So it can be done. The question I guess is "why not"?

Why is B&M so opposed to jumping on the launched coaster wagon?

If they are still selling the quota of rides they need to sell each year to keep them in healthy buisness with their current catalog why create more work for themselves with a new product if they don't need to?

Some people don't grasp the concept that when I company unviels a new idea or product, a *LOT* of work and effort would have gone into it, and then that larger volume of work then continues as the product gets put into production.

Most companies only release new product ideas if they NEED to.

--Robb

^ Walter and Claude give the best explanation about why they don't get into launch coasters and wood coasters - "We don't do that." I think that is all we really need to know.

QFT! "We don't do that." I love it! W&C are pimps! I can just see them now, "You want a launched coaster? Go F yourselves!"

Does anyone know , of any cheap hotels around kings island for less than $100 dollars?

http://www.expedia.com/Kings-Island-Hotels.0-l6087333-0.Travel-Guide-Filter-Hotels

B&M is a very conservative coaster company that doesn't really like to push limits like other manufacturers do. They tend to stick with what's tried and true, which allows for better reliability and safety.

I'm not sure conservative is the right word. Maybe complacent. I'd say the company has a rich history of innovation.

Does anyone know , of any cheap hotels around kings island for less than $100 dollars?

It depends what night of the week and what time of year. Most of the chain hotels at the exit are between $89 and $119 during season.

While I agree that they definitely need a REAL invert, I don't know if Intamin would be the way to go. B&M's track record is certainly a lot better than Intamin's in the invert department (both quality and quantity), so if KI did decide to go the invert route, I would hope it to be a B&M. Volcano, as good as it is, has also obviously had its mechanical issues, so I'm not sure KI would want to replace one lemon coaster with another. Just my opinion.

In my defense, I did say "updated take". To me that would mean a more reliable launch (LSM instead of LIM?) and an enhanced layout with more elements. To me Volcano would be a top 5 coaster if they had extended the length by 800 feet and added few different types of elements or inversions.

In Volcano's defense, I wouldn't go so far as to call the coaster a "lemon". I think it's a fun coaster with reliability issues.

I was planning on making it out to the park on Saturday for the first time this season...but now there is an 80% chance of strong thunderstorms, so I guess I can throw that plan out the window.

I'm really anxious to see (first hand) all the changes that have been made to the park for 2010.

Has anyone noticed whether or not Flight of Fear has returned to 6-car operation this year?

^^ Did they change the entrance To FoF because on last Sunday the entire station was full. I really can't remember if there were five or six trains, but Whem it went through the brakerun, the entire train was on it with one car off. I'm not that much help but I hope it helps a little.