TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pre-lifts

I have always admired cool pre-lifts (the stretch of track before the chain lift).

I enjoy Thunderhead's tight, downwards helix onto the lift. It is simple, but a very fun warm-up for what is to come!

What is your favorite?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two.

Scream! at SFMM- the small drop is a kinda fun, and it offers a great view of the cobra roll, and vast stretch of parking lot

Dominator at (now defunct) Geauga Lake- I like the little s-bend it has, and going through the bushes like that. It really made the pre-lift seem longer.

Yes, both are floorless

Out of coasters I have been on, I really liked Hades and Thunderbolt (Kennywood).

Although not thrilling, the pre launch section of Superman Escape at Warner Bros Movie World is very impressive, it's like a Universal Studios disaster dark ride.

I'll second the SCBB Giant Dipper pre-lift tunnel. It has a somewhat surprising little drop into pure black darkness followed by some nice little curves that lead you to the light at the end of the tunnel, which is the lift hill. There's also the smell of grease on the tracks that, to me at least, adds to the nostalgic feel of the ride.

I also like the pre-lift on Disneyland's Big Thunder. It's like a mini version of Knott's Calico Mine ride. (Or a rip-off of it.)

Cyclone at Lakeside has a long tunnel before the lift, and that's fun. Thunderbolt has an impressive two drops before the chain. Mystery Mine also is really cool. A drop out of the station and a few turns. That's fun.

I'll be the first to say Hercules had a pretty cool prelift section. Too bad that was the best part of the ride.

Also at Warner Bros Movie World, Scooby Doo has a whole Ghost train with small drops under swinging axes and sharp turns before the lift hill - which is an elevator, and it rocks from side to side as it takes you up.

Although not thrilling, the pre launch section of Superman Escape at Warner Bros Movie World is very impressive, it's like a Universal Studios disaster dark ride.

I'm definitely going to have to agree and Scooby-doo's dark ride section was amazing for a dark-ride and coaster.

As for regular roller coasters, I think I'll go with any GCI's pre-lift those are always fun.

I agree about Giant Dipper at SCBB. Here's some which haven't been named yet:

-Ghostrider's is pretty fun

-Demon (at both SFGAm and CGA) with the tunnel and the voice

I would also say Powderkeg at SDC, considering that most of it occurs before the lift hill, but I haven't ridden it.