TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

I’ll echo a lot of what has already been said about Pipeline - fantastic ride, so much more fun than I had anticipated when I saw initial renderings. Definitely some unique sensations to be felt that I’ve never experienced. I will say, however, that the vests need a bit of an adjustment- they dig into your collar bone to the point that I was slightly bruised today after only 2 rides. Other B&M rides with these vests have had similar issues and I believe those parks have been able to adjust the tension so that they’re not pinning you back so hard. The only gripe I have for a very fun attraction!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, southpuddle said:

I will say, however, that the vests need a bit of an adjustment- they dig into your collar bone to the point that I was slightly bruised today after only 2 rides. Other B&M rides with these vests have had similar issues and I believe those parks have been able to adjust the tension so that they’re not pinning you back so hard. The only gripe I have for a very fun attraction!

Yeah I'll say I didn't have an issue with it, nor have I on any of the other B&M vest restraint rides I've ridden, but my daughter did mentions being slightly uncomfortable mostly when sitting on the brake run. It seems like the vest thing is hit or miss for a lot of people depending on height/shape/etc. but yeah hopefully they can adjust the tension in the future if needed.

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, tndank said:

Leaked plans for the 2024 B&M family multi launch coaster surfaced today. 

I didn't realize this was going to be a B&M, I just figured since BGW, SWT, and SWSD got Intamin motorbike coasters this would be some version of that. I was kind of looking forward to that model in Orlando but it's hard to complain about capacity and reliability with a B&M. Wonder what kind of trains this thing will have, if it's a "family" coaster I'd just assume it will be some kind of sitdown with the vest restraints but maybe they've something else new in the works similar to the new Standup with Pipeline.

It's kind of interesting to think of how stagnant B&M had been for a few decades as far as innovation and now all they sudden they're doing launches, and custom standup trains, and family coasters. Now none of these things are really "new" for the industry but for a company as reputable and reliable as B&M to be doing something new to them is exciting.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, YoshiFan said:

Happy Valley’s website shows 1.2 m, that’s 47.2 inches so probably rounded up to 48 inches in the US.

Isnt Dragonflyer only 39 inches and Merlins Mayhem is 39 inches. Those would be direct comparison to the B&M junior invert. Big Bear seems like a competitor to this and that is only 39 inches. So if this a family B&M launched coaster it better not be 48 inches lol

• 1 month later...

I was looking at the Howl-O-Scream event page for this year and noticed this bag policy. I *think* this is a new policy but don't really remember the past couple years as I usually don't take a bag with me.

I took a quick look at the HOS pages for Busch Gardens in Tampa and Williamsburg and it looks like the Williamsburg park has a similar policy but the page for Tampa doesn't seem to mention anything out of the ordinary.

Anyways just a heads up for anyone attending the HOS events this year at SWO, BGT, or BGW, may want to check out the bag policy before you go.

image.thumb.png.debda1f865ed8f0344e5479153cc1e10.png

https://seaworld.com/orlando/events/howl-o-scream/faqs/

• 1 month later...

Was there any rumors of this? Looks fun, I just got an email about it from SeaWorld

https://seaworld.com/orlando/roller-coasters/penguin-trek

Penguin Trek - Coming in 2024Race Through the Ice on Penguin Trek!

This will be the coolest research mission you’ve ever joined! Prepare for Penguin Trek, an unforgettable family launch coaster adventure through the breathtaking vastness of Antarctica. Board your snowmobile and race along with your expedition team at up to 43 miles per hour, navigating twists and turns and narrowly escaping the crumbling hazards of an icy cavern. Reach the end and you’ll make the ultimate discovery: a real penguin habitat! This new indoor/outdoor family ride is the most immersive addition to the Coaster Capital of Orlando, and with a height requirement of just 42”, it’s the perfect journey for families to share.

SeaWorld has announced new attractions at all three US theme parks for 2024, including a brand-new family coaster for SeaWorld Orlando!

SWO_Penguin_Trek_1.thumb.png.113f0320f173cb609d78c5e8156d7073.png

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/seaworld-to-open-exciting-one-of-a-kind-marine-life-themed-rides-and-experiences-for-the-whole-family-in-every-park-in-2024-301941243.html?fbclid=IwAR2sI-YLXuCex8PumYog6zravF8H04-JShfKX9kej41HzW24oVO_4jhmoic

SeaWorld is thrilled to announce it will open one-of-a-kind marine life themed rides and attractions in every SeaWorld park in Spring 2024.  Guests to the award-winning parks in Orlando, San Antonio, and San Diego can look forward to epic journeys and experiences for the whole family that will leave them breathless, drenched, and utterly mesmerized.  Attractions include "Penguin Trek" at SeaWorld Orlando, an all-new family friendly coaster for guests 42-77 inches in height that will transport riders on an unforgettable expedition through the Antarctic wilderness aboard unique snowmobile styled ride cars traversing an indoor/outdoor track that ends at the penguin habitat where riders can experience the enchanting world of these remarkable animals.  The first of its kind at SeaWorld parks, the all-new "Jewels of the Sea: The Jellyfish Experience" at SeaWorld San Diego offers an immersive and interactive view into the mysterious underwater world of glowing and graceful jellyfish, along with touch and behind the scenes experiences.  At SeaWorld San Antonio, guests will celebrate the first splash of the much-anticipated opening of Catapult Falls, the world's first launched flume coaster and the only vertical lift in North America.  The new attractions continue the SeaWorld legacy of blending marine life inspired adventure, discovery, and family-friendly thrills.  The best way to experience the new attractions is with a SeaWorld 2024 Annual Pass on sale now.  2024 pass members will be the first to experience the new attractions before they open to the public.

"2024 looks to be another fun year with exciting new rides in our parks and our first jellyfish exhibit," said Marc Swanson, CEO of SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment.  "We know our fans will delight in the all-new lineup of marine life inspired experiences that gives everyone even more new ways to really enjoy our parks.  And when they do, they can feel good knowing that a portion of proceeds goes toward our rescue and conservation work."

"Penguin Trek" at SeaWorld Orlando is a Unique Family Friendly Coaster Experience to Traverse through the Antarctic Wilderness Aboard a Snowmobile Styled Ride Car on an Indoor/Outdoor Track that Concludes in the Penguin Habitat

Designed as THE ultimate family launch coaster experience, "Penguin Trek" features a unique snowmobile styled ride car where once aboard, riders will embark on an exhilarating journey through the breathtaking vastness of Antarctica as they join a penguin research mission unlike any other.  Featuring two exhilarating launches and a maze of twists and turns, this unforgettable coaster moves at speeds of up to 43 mph across a 3,020-foot track that traverses both indoors and outside. Yet, what sets this experience apart as truly extraordinary is its unparalleled finale: as the coaster comes to a halt, guests find themselves not in a simulated penguin colony, but in the very heart of SeaWorld Orlando's own penguin habitat.

An experience for the whole family, the ride accommodates rider heights from 42-inches to 77-inches.  A unique and immersive blend of coaster thrills and authentic animal interaction offers the whole family the spirit of adventure and exploration, while further connecting SeaWorld's mission and commitment to animal care, education, and research.

Coming in Spring 2024, "Penguin Trek" is the eagerly awaited eighth coaster to join SeaWorld Orlando's ever-expanding ride portfolio.

SWO_Penguin_Trek_2.thumb.png.a1b30014d885f47b6019ddec97fe0ca5.png

• Like 2

I know we've been expecting this but I still think this is a really cool concept. Should be interesting to see how they re-use the exiting building/themeing from the Antarctica ride, but no matter what they do a multi launched family coaster in that section of the park should do pretty well. 

This coaster reminds me of the one in Legoland Billund, that (SPOILER ALERT!)

...... has a drop section within the main show building. After the drop, the coaster goes outside for a bit of a sprint, into the load/unload building which has an indoor (and climate controlled) penguin habitat beside it, and large viewing windows as the coaster train headed into the station.

Polar X-plorer, it was called.

• 3 months later...

I took some pictures on Thursday, it looks like it is going to be a fun coaster.

PenguingTrek3.thumb.jpg.8ba7ba2d877331d4f75aae14a3a84140.jpg

PenguinTrek4.thumb.jpg.ef4d7daec0eb7ead2c487b16004d7351.jpg

PenguinTrek5.thumb.jpg.ad73e5852185e737a47389e1b18bd57b.jpg

They have these signs up in multiple spots in the park, there is all a billboard on I-4 East advertising the ride.

• Like 2

Yeah we were there on Saturday and I was a bit surprised how well hidden the new coaster is behind the construction walls. We had some nice views of it from on Manta and from the walk up to the SeaLion theatre but other than that it's surprisingly well tucked away. Does looks to be a fun little coaster though, we'll definitely be making another quick trip down after it opens.

On Saturday Ice Breaker had about a 45 minute line both times we walked by it, I don't know how accurate the que time boards at SeaWorld are but the covered que building was mostly full. I don't think I've ever waited more than one switchback for that thing so maybe the change to 48 inches is paying off now.

• Like 1

I don't know if they ever got the second train running since the removal of the comfort collars and if it still is running 1 train, it might have been that long of a wait or maybe even more than that (I didn't get to that section of the park on Thursday). Last time I rode Ice Breaker was a weekday in November and even then with Quick Queue it took almost 15 minutes waiting about 4 trains with 1 train running.

• Like 1

^ it has been running 2 comfort collar-less trains for at least 6 months now. I think they retrofitted the 2nd train around Memorial Day last year. 

That said, they’ve been running single trains on their coasters much more frequently than they used to the past couple months - except Kraken, Kraken always seems to run two trains, even on weekdays. Not sure why. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend and this weekend we stopped by SeaWorld Orlando to bring our son to see some animals, shows and yesterday, to meet Blippi. Progress on Penguin Trek is visible from a few places in the park—most clearly over at Pacific Point Reserve. The coaster has only two track pieces left to install, but plenty of thematic elements and construction still to complete before the ride is ready to open. 

IMG_9374.jpeg

From the temporary path leading to the Pacific Point Preserve you can see the bulk of the coaster's outdoor section, including of the ride's two launches as well as its unique brake run.

IMG_9355.jpeg

It will be interesting to see the coaster flying by from this view in the future.

IMG_9349.jpeg

Lots of work still to be done despite most track work being complete.

IMG_8961.jpeg

One of the highest points of the coaster is this turnaround, which will have netting around the track since it comes so close to guest and animal areas.

IMG_8957.jpeg

I expect some fun little pops of air on these two hills.

IMG_8954.jpeg

Some nice B&M curves over here...

IMG_8953.jpeg

A look at the initial exit from the former Antarctica dark ride building into the coaster's first launch.

IMG_8948.jpeg

The re-entry into the coaster's show building/station looks quickly carved out, so I'd expect it to be refinished or for some rockwork to be added around it to make it look a little less hasty.

IMG_9395.jpeg

From the other side of the park, Penguin Trek's turnaround is tall enough to be see on the park's skyline.

• Like 2

On 1/30/2024 at 4:05 AM, jedimaster1227 said:

Last weekend and this weekend we stopped by SeaWorld Orlando to bring our son to see some animals, shows and yesterday, to meet Blippi.

I owe Blippi an apology. He drove me crazy when he was on our TV non-stop. Now my son is an elementary student, and I see the real crap him and the other kids watch I wish Blippi was back, at least he tried to teach my son something educational.

• Like 1

I was at SeaWorld last week, there were some things I knew about like the Penguin Trek construction but had no idea they are doing some renovation to the Orca stadium too. I'm curious to see what they are actually doing to it. 

I don't know if this is the norm lately with SeaWorld cause I simply don't remember but they were shutting down parts of the park before 6pm, basically the area behind the dolphins where the turtles and journey to Atlantis and the penguins are. I assume it's because of the construction going on with everything or maybe they just didn't have the staff to keep it open all day on a weekday. 

Got to ride on Pipeline for the first time, it's definitely by far the best stand up I've been on but it's still just not really for me. I'm an average sized person but I just don't find it comfortable. I didn't read anyone here that had this issue but when I hit one of the bouncing parts the back of one of my legs hit a metal piece of the seat, didn't hurt enough to complain to anyone about it and if I had pants on instead of shorts I wouldn't have noticed it as much but it just wasn't something I was expecting and was curious if anyone else here had that happen to them. 

Mako is still my favorite ride in the park, they still never fixed the screens above the ride station and they weren't on when we went last year around this same time either. 

We also got to experience the seven seas food festival. The prices for lanyards were more money than I remember from last year but we got to have an 18 sample one for the 15 sample price with the platinum pass discount. The portions however were much bigger than previous year's so that definitely made up for price difference. 

• Like 2