TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 403 - Park opening for a limited Holiday Event!

^ THIS!! Such an accurate statement. Being from NYC, I didn't understand why the park wasn't an all year round park but after living here for some years now the weather is just so all over the place. from November to May. Hell preview night for Fury325 its opening year was 38F with rain/freezing rain in the forecast then opening day it was like cold in the morning then warmed up to about 55F to 60F. I understand completely now why they just stay closed JAN-MAR. February and some times early March is typically the snow/ice month. Charlotte cant hand such as they are not equipped for the weather. the WHOLE city shuts down at the threat of ice.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t think you get what I’m saying at all.  As a fan, I’m really glad they opened Carowinds for like a month even though this event was really stupid because I got to ride two coasters and I w

So we went to Taste of Carowinds yesterday since we’re visiting the in-laws who live ten minutes away. Before going I was confused as to why this event was even a thing and after going I’m infini

I really need parks to get their act together by next season. We're clearly still going to be operating in a very covid positive world, but many parks seem to be doing a good job...just copy those!

Posted Images

A lot of people are quite ignorant about weather and tolerance for weather conditions. Many people in the northeast think every state south of Washington DC has beautiful weather in the fall and through winter. It might be warmer to those in the North but if the people in the community will not be as tolerant to the cold weather.

Let's not forget that in order to have year round operations you need year round staff. Many parks are struggling to staff all summer, where are they going to get employees. They can't justify raising the pay if the income to pay for the employees is not present. Many of the potential off season customer are likely to be season passes holders lower the average spending per customer at the park.

These numbers are completely estimated, but suppose a regional park wants to operate for 10 hours, and 200 employees are needed at all times to completely staff the park (rides, games, shops/food, security, admission, maintenance) and the average employee costs the park $15 per hour. That's $30,000 to cover just the expenses I mentioned. The average season pass holder only brings $10-20 in incremental income to the park each visit. Non-pass holders bring in about $30-$50 per park visit. If 80% of the off-season visitors are season pass holders the park needs about 1,500 visitors a day to break even.

It might not be that easy but if it was I'm sure every park would jump at the opportunity to make more money.

Carowinds also has fairly short hours during their current schedule. Until a park is open 'til 10 most of August they just don't have the draw to be open year round, even if the weather was perfect.

Carowinds also has fairly short hours during their current schedule. Until a park is open 'til 10 most of August they just don't have the draw to be open year round, even if the weather was perfect.

Oh

Buddy, I can't think of many (any?) REGIONAL parks that stay open until 10:00 on weeknights when local schools are in session. Schools in the area start around the second week of August. They get out in early to mid June. The calendar reflects this. Schools in the northeast are only open until 10:00 through August because school doesn't go back until after Labor Day. Those parks also don't have 10:00 weeknight closings as early in June as Carowinds does. It balances out.

How a park draws on a weekday with local schools in session has nothing to do with their ability to draw crowds for weekend only operation year round. As I mentioned earlier, I mostly agree with everything Larry said (though he laid it out better than I could). I do think people would visit in the winter with a good gimmick (Winterfest is sort of proof of that if it's popular, and since it's hours are basically nights only it would likely be colder than standard operation in January and February which would likely have closing times of 5:00 or 6:00) but there just isn't one.

I am currently in the United States for a while and have the chance to visit Carowinds upcoming Sunday, during daytime. Since the park hours are quite short compared to the summer, should I consider Fast Lane, or should the wait times be doable? Hope any locals could give an indication.

I am currently in the United States for a while and have the chance to visit Carowinds upcoming Sunday, during daytime. Since the park hours are quite short compared to the summer, should I consider Fast Lane, or should the wait times be doable? Hope any locals could give an indication.

Sundays in October are a great time to go to Carowinds (generally Sundays are great days to go anyway unless it's a holiday weekend). The longest you'll have to wait is maybe 10-15 minutes at most, with many rides near walk-on. Just get there when the park opens and head straight to Nighthawk to get it out of the way. It's very low capacity and is likely only running one train currently. Ricochet (wild mouse) is pretty low capacity as well. Everything else you should be able to get re-rides on to your heart's content.

Don't buy Fastlane. Lines will be nonexistant.

Ride Nighthawk first, then Ricochet and then everything else will pretty much be a walk-on all day. Have fun!

Sundays in October are a great time to go to Carowinds (generally Sundays are great days to go anyway unless it's a holiday weekend). The longest you'll have to wait is maybe 10-15 minutes at most, with many rides near walk-on. Just get there when the park opens and head straight to Nighthawk to get it out of the way. It's very low capacity and is likely only running one train currently. Ricochet (wild mouse) is pretty low capacity as well. Everything else you should be able to get re-rides on to your heart's content.

Thanks for the advice! It's actually rescheduled to the Sunday in two weeks, but glad to hear to Sunday is a good day to visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Have we figured out where they're moving the Flyers to yet? Glad those are leaving the kids area for those of us with no kids . If there's one thing I'd love to see go up at Carowinds now it would be a nice Mondial Revolution like Delirium at KD. For some reason I've always felt a Giant Frisbee would be a great addition to Carowinds lineup. Granted giant frisbees should be everywhere. Including the Wawa next to my apartment.

^It's going to be placed in a portion of White Water Falls plot. I hope they save the ride entrance that was once the entrance for the Hillbilly Jalopies and use it for the flyers.

.....If there's one thing I'd love to see go up at Carowinds now it would be a nice Mondial Revolution like Delirium at KD. For some reason I've always felt a Giant Frisbee would be a great addition to Carowinds lineup. Granted giant frisbees should be everwhere.....

Agree but I much prefer a Huss, Intamin, or Zamperla version. Also a Screamin Swing would be nice well.

I imagine if Carowinds gets a frisbee it will probably be the Mondial version since the most recent one that went up was the one at KD. Granted I don't work for Cedar Fair but they seem to have a good relationship with Mondial these days.

I took my daughter and her friend to Scarowinds Saturday night. My first trip to the park since 1995. I knew what I was in for based on online reviews but she really wanted to check it out. We were first in line at the gate and made it to Nighthawk for the first run and got front row. It was kinda downhill from there.

Intimidator was about a 20 minute wait. And well worth it! Afterburn was about 30 minutes. Vortex was about the same. I loved Afterburn and we ended up riding it twice. Vortex was not worth the wait. I probably would not ride that again if it was walk-on. The second go round on Afterburn was about a 45 minute wait. We bailed on Fury 325 as I'd read horror stories about traffic getting out of there if you stay late and wait times had been steadily increasing.

The characters and spook zones kinda seemed like a high school drama club production. My daughter and her friend both declared it "lame and cheesy"

We have platinum CF passes for next year so we'll have plenty of time to ride everything later.

^It's going to be placed in a portion of White Water Falls plot. I hope they save the ride entrance that was once the entrance for the Hillbilly Jalopies and use it for the flyers.

Can you give me some landmarks/rides for this new flyer location? I can't quite picture where it will go. I only know where the coasters are and the Icee stand- priorities!! Haha

Can you give me some landmarks/rides for this new flyer location? I can't quite picture where it will go. I only know where the coasters are and the Icee stand- priorities!! Haha

In the area where the red circle is the approximate location.

flyersapproxnewloc.png.e8e077c9186fca9cf48622eeb9af5895.png

trim.46D6BDCE-77AD-4205-9557-9F1B55FA21DD.MOV

The tree has been up since Scarowinds. They had the lights programmed to emulate fire and a laughing skull. Pretty clever if you ask me and they'd done extensive Christmas decorating. It was kinda weird having Christmas decor up along with Halloween decor.

This is what we had during the Paramount days. IIRC PKI did the very same on the Eiffel Tower. I don't think CF would attempt this however due to the fact that the Skytower is listed as one of the Winterfest rides that will be open. If they could figure out how to add the lights and have the tower still operate that would be sweet.

(sans the Paramount Stars on top of course )

pic source: themeparks.sbout.com

6a3be6065fff8d3095f5cf3311335a2e--kings-island-rockefeller-center.jpg.8027992389aecb829129c46f2caa610e.jpg

^Carowinds had been turning the Skytower into a Christmas tree for years even before Paramount, even though the park wasn't open. I believe they are turning Windseeker into one for Winterfest this year instead of Skytower (since it's scheduled to operate).